Boyd Lee Park in Greenville
10/19/2012 7:25:04 AM
Coach
So you may have noticed much slower times out of the Mid-Eastern Conference at a normally fast course. Here is why: the course was slightly saturated, but the big problem was sme decided to clear out a bunch of trees on the back stretch and didn't really smooth it out. This caused the course the be pretty chopped up.
So you may have noticed much slower times out of the Mid-Eastern Conference at a normally fast course. Here is why: the course was slightly saturated, but the big problem was sme decided to clear out a bunch of trees on the back stretch and didn't really smooth it out. This caused the course the be pretty chopped up.
10/19/2012 9:19:21 AM
User
I would disagree that Boyd Lee is a "normally fast" course. That is our "home" course, so we've run there a few times & I know well the history of the course (having helped design it). The boys course record is 15:57, set by Will Bass of Nash Central. That is a good time but it is by no means "fast.". John Crossley of W. Carteret ran 16:03 there on Tuesday which is comparable to other races he's run this year (great american). I would call the course average at best & even though it looks very flat, there is some small elevation change, & the long, grassy stretches can slow a runner down, especially when it's wet. I do understand the frustration of the construction @ the park, though! When I showed up there on Tuesday to get ready for the Coastal 3A championship it was quite a shock to see the heavy machinery & the huge ditch on the backstretch! I ranted & called everyone i could think to call - park office, parks director, etc. i know the plan was to dig straight thru the 4th trail! I'm not sure how much more digging was done on wednesday and/or Thursday. There were three races there this week & they've been on the park schedule for months! Whoever started the construction there certainly didn't consult the park schedule!
I would disagree that Boyd Lee is a "normally fast" course. That is our "home" course, so we've run there a few times & I know well the history of the course (having helped design it). The boys course record is 15:57, set by Will Bass of Nash Central. That is a good time but it is by no means "fast.". John Crossley of W. Carteret ran 16:03 there on Tuesday which is comparable to other races he's run this year (great american). I would call the course average at best & even though it looks very flat, there is some small elevation change, & the long, grassy stretches can slow a runner down, especially when it's wet.

I do understand the frustration of the construction @ the park, though! When I showed up there on Tuesday to get ready for the Coastal 3A championship it was quite a shock to see the heavy machinery & the huge ditch on the backstretch! I ranted & called everyone i could think to call - park office, parks director, etc. i know the plan was to dig straight thru the 4th trail! I'm not sure how much more digging was done on wednesday and/or Thursday. There were three races there this week & they've been on the park schedule for months! Whoever started the construction there certainly didn't consult the park schedule!
10/19/2012 10:51:56 AM
Coach
How much time difference do you think between this course vs. McAlpine? And having a harder course before our Regional is a good challenge as the 4a East regional is at a challenging course!
How much time difference do you think between this course vs. McAlpine? And having a harder course before our Regional is a good challenge as the 4a East regional is at a challenging course!
10/19/2012 12:59:45 PM
User
It's hard to say looking @ my top 2 girls because they are freshmen and are getting better every day. They both ran faster @ Boyd Lee, but that may be more due to overall improvement than course difference. My boys have been so inconsistent it's hard to say but overall they were faster @ McAlpine by about 10 seconds. Not sure if that analysis means anything, but that's the best answer I can give
It's hard to say looking @ my top 2 girls because they are freshmen and are getting better every day. They both ran faster @ Boyd Lee, but that may be more due to overall improvement than course difference.
My boys have been so inconsistent it's hard to say but overall they were faster @ McAlpine by about 10 seconds.
Not sure if that analysis means anything, but that's the best answer I can give
10/19/2012 1:39:45 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@SCXCcoach For a 16:00 runner, Milesplit calculates the difference as 2 seconds, with Boyd Lee Park being faster.
@SCXCcoach

For a 16:00 runner, Milesplit calculates the difference as 2 seconds, with Boyd Lee Park being faster.
10/19/2012 2:03:43 PM
Coach
My freshmen girls had a big PR, but are new to running. Where my guys were all close to there same time as 2 weeks ago, but they are tapered. Sometimes its hard for coach's to measure performance as not only all the course in the state can be drastically different in terrain and length. They can also change due to weather or in this case workers coming in to do whatever they did. However I feel like the advantage in the long run goes to the teams running on the longer or harder course. Example the 4A East Region course went from little to no hills for the past 4 years to the Carolina Horse Park course. Which is a beautiful well mark course. But is a bite tough the 1st from about .5-2.25 miles into the race with its rolling hills.
My freshmen girls had a big PR, but are new to running. Where my guys were all close to there same time as 2 weeks ago, but they are tapered. Sometimes its hard for coach's to measure performance as not only all the course in the state can be drastically different in terrain and length. They can also change due to weather or in this case workers coming in to do whatever they did. However I feel like the advantage in the long run goes to the teams running on the longer or harder course. Example the 4A East Region course went from little to no hills for the past 4 years to the Carolina Horse Park course. Which is a beautiful well mark course. But is a bite tough the 1st from about .5-2.25 miles into the race with its rolling hills.
10/19/2012 2:06:24 PM
Coach
1 things is for sure, it makes it hard to accurately rank teams...
1 things is for sure, it makes it hard to accurately rank teams...
10/22/2012 12:50:30 PM
Coach
@rhauck You and your rankings... haha
@rhauck You and your rankings... haha

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.