What is the best type of track surface?
12/05/2012 10:07:30 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
So with track season right around the corner and indoor starting for many states across the country, several people have asked me what is the best type of track surface? Is it latex or polyurethane? Are any area schools putting in new tracks? How much did it cost? Thinking about doing a story on this as well.
So with track season right around the corner and indoor starting for many states across the country, several people have asked me what is the best type of track surface? Is it latex or polyurethane? Are any area schools putting in new tracks? How much did it cost? Thinking about doing a story on this as well.
12/05/2012 10:19:38 AM
Power User
Mondotrack FTX, synthetic rubber ~Twangster
Mondotrack FTX, synthetic rubber

~Twangster
12/05/2012 10:29:16 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=twangster]Mondotrack FTX, synthetic rubber ~Twangster[/quote] @twangster AGREED!8-)
wangster wrote:
Mondotrack FTX, synthetic rubber

~Twangster

@twangster AGREED!
12/05/2012 12:13:13 PM
Admin
By far, concrete with cracks and potholes. It makes hurdles so much fun to watch.
By far, concrete with cracks and potholes. It makes hurdles so much fun to watch.
12/05/2012 12:26:23 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Cinder http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/ChalkTrackLining.jpg/640px-ChalkTrackLining.jpg Or maybe this grass track in Road Town, British Virgin Islands where our good friends and MileSplit affiliates run... [img]http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/BVI/AO_Shirley.jpeg[/img]
Cinder

Or maybe this grass track in Road Town, British Virgin Islands where our good friends and MileSplit affiliates run...

12/05/2012 1:32:22 PM
Coach
@jason Did a lot of my early track workouts on asphalt tracks. Good way to get sore legs, shin splints,etc. I never have run on a cinder track but I heard they are a forgiving surface for running on and if you fall on one you will wind up with cinders in your skin. I have run on Chevron 400(older tracks) and Rekortan (very nice). Many of the synthetic tracks nowadays are excellent, even at the high schools.
@jason
Did a lot of my early track workouts on asphalt tracks. Good way to get sore legs, shin splints,etc.
I never have run on a cinder track but I heard they are a forgiving surface for running on and if you fall on one you will wind up with cinders in your skin.
I have run on Chevron 400(older tracks) and Rekortan (very nice). Many of the synthetic tracks nowadays are excellent, even at the high schools.
12/05/2012 1:45:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Between the 2 you name, polyurethane better than latex
Between the 2 you name, polyurethane better than latex
12/05/2012 2:04:40 PM
Coach
You haven't lived until you've plucked cinders out of your bloody flesh.
You haven't lived until you've plucked cinders out of your bloody flesh.
12/05/2012 2:20:01 PM
Coach
@coachmeans [i]You haven't lived until you've plucked cinders out of your bloody flesh.[/i] That's what I was trying to say.
@coachmeans You haven't lived until you've plucked cinders out of your bloody flesh.
That's what I was trying to say.
12/05/2012 5:11:21 PM
User
Mondo is great for racing, not as good for training since it tends to be a harder surface. Distance athletes in London made comments about how much longer it took for their legs to recover between rounds. FSU is getting a new Beynon surface installed right now. Same company that has put down the last 3 surfaces at Hayward Field (it's been resurfaced three times since 2007). UF has Mondo Super X laid down. The different colored exchange zones are a cool touch.
Mondo is great for racing, not as good for training since it tends to be a harder surface. Distance athletes in London made comments about how much longer it took for their legs to recover between rounds.

FSU is getting a new Beynon surface installed right now. Same company that has put down the last 3 surfaces at Hayward Field (it's been resurfaced three times since 2007). UF has Mondo Super X laid down. The different colored exchange zones are a cool touch.
12/10/2012 1:04:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Kissimmee-Osceola will be installing a polyurethane surface in January....it will be an upgrade I feel to the current surface we run on...
Kissimmee-Osceola will be installing a polyurethane surface in January....it will be an upgrade I feel to the current surface we run on...

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.