Great Student and Athlete suffers from NCHSAA rule
02/10/2013 4:26:31 PM
Coach
Bryan Veals is an amazing athlete and probably an even better student that was just blindsided by a rule that is making him in eligible to participate this upcoming Track season. He was taking some AP classes and early release, but what he didn't realize was that because one of his AP classes was every other day, then he had early release on the days where he didn’t have that class, ONLY COUNTED AS A HALF OF A CLASS, meaning that he technically had only 2 1/2 classes in a semester. NCHSAA rules state that you need 3 classes per semester to be eligible. If, however, he had early release listed as "Study Hall" on his schedule, then he would have been eligible. That's ridiculous. This was a complete accident and overlook at the school he attends, and so tried to add another class and request eligibility to the NCHSAA, but they denied his request. So we need to people to sign this petition please! He has already missed out on Regionals and States for Swim, which is his main sport. He is potentially running in college next year along with Swim, and needs this season under his belt! [url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reinstate-bryan-veals-to-be-eligible-in-nc-high/?fb_action_ids=10200614828280020&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%2210200614828280020%22%3A150690275087590%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210200614828280020%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map]SIGN THE PETITION HERE[/url] We appreciate all that the NCHSAA does, yet believe that this situation needs to be reevaluated. Thank you.
Bryan Veals is an amazing athlete and probably an even better student that was just blindsided by a rule that is making him in eligible to participate this upcoming Track season. He was taking some AP classes and early release, but what he didn't realize was that because one of his AP classes was every other day, then he had early release on the days where he didn't have that class, ONLY COUNTED AS A HALF OF A CLASS, meaning that he technically had only 2 1/2 classes in a semester. NCHSAA rules state that you need 3 classes per semester to be eligible. If, however, he had early release listed as "Study Hall" on his schedule, then he would have been eligible. That's ridiculous. This was a complete accident and overlook at the school he attends, and so tried to add another class and request eligibility to the NCHSAA, but they denied his request. So we need to people to sign this petition please! He has already missed out on Regionals and States for Swim, which is his main sport. He is potentially running in college next year along with Swim, and needs this season under his belt! SIGN THE PETITION HERE

We appreciate all that the NCHSAA does, yet believe that this situation needs to be reevaluated. Thank you.
02/10/2013 8:33:47 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@bplancast I first heard of this rule when Charlotte area athletes were warned about it (through a newspaper article, I think). I can understand the basis for the rule (to prevent part-time students from participating when they have an easier time making grades). However, it does seem like there should be a better appeals process, or at least a provision that exempts AP classes.
@bplancast I first heard of this rule when Charlotte area athletes were warned about it (through a newspaper article, I think). I can understand the basis for the rule (to prevent part-time students from participating when they have an easier time making grades). However, it does seem like there should be a better appeals process, or at least a provision that exempts AP classes.
02/10/2013 10:42:21 PM
Coach
@CoachGeorgeRJR Yeah, I'm definitely not against the rule, but just hope that he can get a by
@CoachGeorgeRJR Yeah, I'm definitely not against the rule, but just hope that he can get a by
02/11/2013 10:45:07 AM
Coach
Agreed. All rules are not cut and dry. From what I understand he was not trying to get a advantage. For goodness sake, he was taking AP classes not Advanced PE for two blocks. Lets do what is clearly right and reinstate the kid.
Agreed. All rules are not cut and dry. From what I understand he was not trying to get a advantage. For goodness sake, he was taking AP classes not Advanced PE for two blocks. Lets do what is clearly right and reinstate the kid.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.