UNCW losing Mens track?
05/20/2013 9:46:09 AM
Coach
Does anyone have any detailed information about UNC Wilminton losing mens track? I saw a petition of some sort on the internet last night trying to save mens track?
Does anyone have any detailed information about UNC Wilminton losing mens track? I saw a petition of some sort on the internet last night trying to save mens track?
05/20/2013 11:39:01 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
from Asheville Citizen Times: Citing budget woes, UNC Wilmington could be prepared to eliminate as many as five sports, including its softball program. From The Associated Press: A committee at UNC Wilmington recommends the school cut five sports teams, including a men’s swimming and diving team that has won 12 straight league titles. The school announced the findings of its intercollegiate athletic review committee Wednesday. It says cutting men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s cross country, men’s indoor track and softball would save roughly $890,000 per year. The school would have 14 sports – the minimum for Division I. Committee chairman Terry Curran says there was “no way for the athletics department to meet its fiscal goals” without cutting sports. Chancellor Gary Miller will discuss the recommendations with athletic director Jimmy Bass and the board of trustees before a final decision is made.
from Asheville Citizen Times:

Citing budget woes, UNC Wilmington could be prepared to eliminate as many as five sports, including its softball program.

From The Associated Press:

A committee at UNC Wilmington recommends the school cut five sports teams, including a men's swimming and diving team that has won 12 straight league titles.

The school announced the findings of its intercollegiate athletic review committee Wednesday.

It says cutting men's and women's swimming and diving, men's cross country, men's indoor track and softball would save roughly $890,000 per year.

The school would have 14 sports -- the minimum for Division I.

Committee chairman Terry Curran says there was "no way for the athletics department to meet its fiscal goals" without cutting sports.

Chancellor Gary Miller will discuss the recommendations with athletic director Jimmy Bass and the board of trustees before a final decision is made.
05/20/2013 11:42:41 AM
User
Starting to become the normal in the US...
Starting to become the normal in the US...
05/20/2013 3:29:29 PM
Coach
Wow, is this the same thing that happened at WSSU?
Wow, is this the same thing that happened at WSSU?
05/20/2013 3:30:36 PM
Coach
And also, will they still mens outdoor track? What would the guys be allowed to do until outdoor season?
And also, will they still mens outdoor track? What would the guys be allowed to do until outdoor season?
05/20/2013 6:51:19 PM
User
@willijs8 exactly the same thing WSSU lost men's golf, track and one other sport I can't remember and I think they will keep scholarship for another year and are open to transfer if needed within that year.
@willijs8 exactly the same thing WSSU lost men's golf, track and one other sport I can't remember and I think they will keep scholarship for another year and are open to transfer if needed within that year.
05/21/2013 6:15:32 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Cutty102306 Here is the link to the [url=https://www.change.org/petitions/university-of-north-carolina-wilmington-save-men-s-cross-country-and-indoor-track-and-field#share]online petition[/url] regarding this, in case anyone feels strongly enough about it to voive their opinion.
@Cutty102306 Here is the link to the online petition regarding this, in case anyone feels strongly enough about it to voive their opinion.
05/21/2013 11:32:40 AM
Coach
I read the petition. What would happen say they decided to keep Mens Cross Country and Indoor Track?
I read the petition. What would happen say they decided to keep Mens Cross Country and Indoor Track?
05/30/2013 2:34:00 PM
Coach
It is official that the programs will stay. Here is a quick article from this morning.[url=http://www.uncwsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19800&ATCLID=207987247]UNCW[/url]
It is official that the programs will stay. Here is a quick article from this morning.UNCW

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.