When will we as coaches and fans stop showing bias?
05/22/2013 10:21:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As strange as this topic may sound, please take the time to read it completely before you blast me. Over the past 3-4 years, track and field in NC, though riddled with many superb athletes, has been dominated by two teams -- Knightdale on the boys side (do they even have a girls team?) and Wakefield on the girls side (I know they have a boys team!). Knightdale can draw it's roots from New Bern-dominated era of a few years ago; Wakefield came from a virtual abyss (mainly because it is a relatively new school). But after each state championship, this forum is not complete unless someone throws a jab at either Knightdale or Wakefield. I can't even officiate or announce a meet without someone at some point in time attempting to draw me into a bashing session for either team. I think I understand the excuses to be: they steal athletes, they cheat, they juicing, he shouldn't be coaching (yeah, I just put it out there!). The fact remains this: all schools have to do some type of eligibility; all athletes have attend school at least 3/4 of the school day to stay eligible; say what you want, but these athletes are coached hard and coached well by a team of coaches that know what they are doing; and, they are getting results, both on the track and in the classroom and on to college. I have personally witnessed the coach/athlete interactions with Knightdale both in practice and at the meets -- I was very impressed. I have not witnessed a Wakefield practice; however, for those of you who claim the husband is coaching and not the wife, which of us have developed training techniques without using anything from someone else? If anything, I applaud the coaches for going to the best to help train some very talented athletes. Is that not the point of why we are coaching high school athletes? To teach them life lessons, help them reach their full potential and (if they are good enough) help them obtain a free college education? I have not meet one athlete on either of these teams that was a prima donna, don't-say-anything-to-me type athlete. They are personable, have goals and quite frankly, want to beat anyone on the track with them -- including teammates. Ato some point, some of you coaches will set your ego to the side and (hopefully) acknowledge what I see -- great, well-coached athletes making strides towards their ultimate goals. Like it or not, those coaches get results and not at the expense of the athletes -- unlike many football and basketball coaches in this state. Your nit-picking will not change that one iota.
As strange as this topic may sound, please take the time to read it completely before you blast me.

Over the past 3-4 years, track and field in NC, though riddled with many superb athletes, has been dominated by two teams -- Knightdale on the boys side (do they even have a girls team?) and Wakefield on the girls side (I know they have a boys team!). Knightdale can draw it's roots from New Bern-dominated era of a few years ago; Wakefield came from a virtual abyss (mainly because it is a relatively new school). But after each state championship, this forum is not complete unless someone throws a jab at either Knightdale or Wakefield. I can't even officiate or announce a meet without someone at some point in time attempting to draw me into a bashing session for either team.

I think I understand the excuses to be: they steal athletes, they cheat, they juicing, he shouldn't be coaching (yeah, I just put it out there!). The fact remains this: all schools have to do some type of eligibility; all athletes have attend school at least 3/4 of the school day to stay eligible; say what you want, but these athletes are coached hard and coached well by a team of coaches that know what they are doing; and, they are getting results, both on the track and in the classroom and on to college. I have personally witnessed the coach/athlete interactions with Knightdale both in practice and at the meets -- I was very impressed. I have not witnessed a Wakefield practice; however, for those of you who claim the husband is coaching and not the wife, which of us have developed training techniques without using anything from someone else? If anything, I applaud the coaches for going to the best to help train some very talented athletes.

Is that not the point of why we are coaching high school athletes? To teach them life lessons, help them reach their full potential and (if they are good enough) help them obtain a free college education? I have not meet one athlete on either of these teams that was a prima donna, don't-say-anything-to-me type athlete. They are personable, have goals and quite frankly, want to beat anyone on the track with them -- including teammates.

Ato some point, some of you coaches will set your ego to the side and (hopefully) acknowledge what I see -- great, well-coached athletes making strides towards their ultimate goals. Like it or not, those coaches get results and not at the expense of the athletes -- unlike many football and basketball coaches in this state. Your nit-picking will not change that one iota.
05/22/2013 11:17:35 AM
Coach
@coach_eazy Are the Wakefield Boys & the Knightdale Girls coached by the same group coaches? If so, why aren't they as successful?
@coach_eazy
Are the Wakefield Boys & the Knightdale Girls coached by the same group coaches? If so, why aren't they as successful?
05/22/2013 11:32:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CDoug The Wakefield boys are coached by the same group -- at least that is the way it seemed when they came to High Point for a Frosh/Soph meet. I do not know about the Knightdale girls.
@CDoug The Wakefield boys are coached by the same group -- at least that is the way it seemed when they came to High Point for a Frosh/Soph meet. I do not know about the Knightdale girls.
05/22/2013 11:48:33 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@coach_eazy Hear, hear! Well stated. The same accusations were leveled at the New Bern boys, as well as at the dominant Southeast Raleigh and Harding girls teams of the past.
@coach_eazy Hear, hear! Well stated. The same accusations were leveled at the New Bern boys, as well as at the dominant Southeast Raleigh and Harding girls teams of the past.
05/22/2013 11:50:38 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CDoug That's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, when a group of coaches preaches hard work, it falls on deaf ears. Sometimes, both genders take the message. And sometimes, it seems that only the boys of the school, or only the girls, are receptive to the message. When New Bern's boys were dominant, their girls were good but not great. The same is true of the great Harding and South Central girls teams of the past, in both cases the boys were not nearly as good.
@CDoug That's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, when a group of coaches preaches hard work, it falls on deaf ears. Sometimes, both genders take the message. And sometimes, it seems that only the boys of the school, or only the girls, are receptive to the message. When New Bern's boys were dominant, their girls were good but not great. The same is true of the great Harding and South Central girls teams of the past, in both cases the boys were not nearly as good.
05/22/2013 1:28:01 PM
User
@coach_eazy hit the nail on the head coach I applaud you for your honesty! I watched four to five kids brake on that 4x8 Sat. and the KHS kid looked to only move when other lanes came into his lane but the only runner everyone wanted to blame was the KHS kid in which if he got them disqualified the score would have them still winning. That word winning brings on a lot of scrutiny in today's amateur sports. I've been to KHS a many times for sporting events and trust me they are the real deal...the amazing thing about KHS is the fact that only two scorers for that team have run summer track more than two years and that in itself is an amazing accomplishment...Wake County is a true powerhouse in this state thanks to KHS boys, Wakefield girls, and SE girls but talent is everywhere and until other programs take the steps these teams have I guess these squads will hold onto the crowns.
@coach_eazy hit the nail on the head coach I applaud you for your honesty! I watched four to five kids brake on that 4x8 Sat. and the KHS kid looked to only move when other lanes came into his lane but the only runner everyone wanted to blame was the KHS kid in which if he got them disqualified the score would have them still winning. That word winning brings on a lot of scrutiny in today's amateur sports. I've been to KHS a many times for sporting events and trust me they are the real deal...the amazing thing about KHS is the fact that only two scorers for that team have run summer track more than two years and that in itself is an amazing accomplishment...Wake County is a true powerhouse in this state thanks to KHS boys, Wakefield girls, and SE girls but talent is everywhere and until other programs take the steps these teams have I guess these squads will hold onto the crowns.
05/22/2013 2:08:45 PM
User
[quote=CoachGeorgeRJR]@CDoug That's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, when a group of coaches preaches hard work, it falls on deaf ears. Sometimes, both genders take the message. And sometimes, it seems that only the boys of the school, or only the girls, are receptive to the message. When New Bern's boys were dominant, their girls were good but not great. The same is true of the great Harding and South Central girls teams of the past, in both cases the boys were not nearly as good.[/quote] @CoachGeorgeRJR ...and sometimes the difference between a team's two genders is something invisible to the rest of us - other sports that are dominant at those particular schools. The track teams compete with LAX, baseball, softball, and girls soccer for athletes during the spring season. Just wonder if anyone can give insight into the dominant girls' spring sport at Knightdale and the boys' spring sport at Wakefield.
CoachGeorgeRJR wrote:

@CoachGeorgeRJR ...and sometimes the difference between a team's two genders is something invisible to the rest of us - other sports that are dominant at those particular schools. The track teams compete with LAX, baseball, softball, and girls soccer for athletes during the spring season. Just wonder if anyone can give insight into the dominant girls' spring sport at Knightdale and the boys' spring sport at Wakefield.
05/23/2013 3:21:11 PM
User
[quote=Ready2Throw]CoachGeorgeRJR@CDoug That's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, when a group of coaches preaches hard work, it falls on deaf ears. Sometimes, both genders take the message. And sometimes, it seems that only the boys of the school, or only the girls, are receptive to the message. When New Bern's boys were dominant, their girls were good but not great. The same is true of the great Harding and South Central girls teams of the past, in both cases the boys were not nearly as good. @CoachGeorgeRJR ...and sometimes the difference between a team's two genders is something invisible to the rest of us - other sports that are dominant at those particular schools. The track teams compete with LAX, baseball, softball, and girls soccer for athletes during the spring season. Just wonder if anyone can give insight into the dominant girls' spring sport at Knightdale and the boys' spring sport at Wakefield.[/quote] @Ready2Throw Spring Football Training has an impact on many boys spring sports with combines, camps etc. There is more money and opportunity for men with football whereas with track, there are many colleges where the men's team is in jeopardy.
Ready2Throw wrote:
CoachGeorgeRJR@CDoug That's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, when a group of coaches preaches hard work, it falls on deaf ears. Sometimes, both genders take the message. And sometimes, it seems that only the boys of the school, or only the girls, are receptive to the message. When New Bern's boys were dominant, their girls were good but not great. The same is true of the great Harding and South Central girls teams of the past, in both cases the boys were not nearly as good.

@CoachGeorgeRJR ...and sometimes the difference between a team's two genders is something invisible to the rest of us - other sports that are dominant at those particular schools. The track teams compete with LAX, baseball, softball, and girls soccer for athletes during the spring season. Just wonder if anyone can give insight into the dominant girls' spring sport at Knightdale and the boys' spring sport at Wakefield.

@Ready2Throw Spring Football Training has an impact on many boys spring sports with combines, camps etc. There is more money and opportunity for men with football whereas with track, there are many colleges where the men's team is in jeopardy.
05/28/2013 7:27:22 AM
Coach
In my opinion the Knightdale reign is more impressive. I just finished my 9th season with Broughton and in that time I have talked to at least 100 male athletes who also played football about dropping football and concentrating on track year-round. Out of that group ZERO have converted. It's tough contending with football. Talking with the KHS coach a few years back I know he converted at least 1 and probably several more. Those kids have a lot of faith in him and rightfully so, he's a good coach. I was told be a lady who went to a Wakefield football game. She said after the game was over WHS girls came onto the track and held a night practice. I don't know how true it is, but even if it's partcially true, that's DEDICATION. Among all of the accusation (I've heard them too) I've met their coaches, met some of their athletes, seen the way they do things while at the meet. I'll bet my last dollar that they put in the work at practice. Most of our female athletes aren't competing in other sports. We have a few who do tennis, volleyball, or basketball. However, most do XC or sit around from Aug-Dec or Aug-Mar.(I don't teach so I'm not at the school all the time)this past year I finally convinced a young lady to train year-round. And she improved dramatically from her Fr year to Soph year. going from 12.9 to 12.4 and I think she'll hit 12.2 maybe even 12.1 over the summer. The other girls are seeing this (some who were faster than her previously) and now they are prepared to train in the "off-season". Success-Breeds-Success
In my opinion the Knightdale reign is more impressive. I just finished my 9th season with Broughton and in that time I have talked to at least 100 male athletes who also played football about dropping football and concentrating on track year-round. Out of that group ZERO have converted. It's tough contending with football. Talking with the KHS coach a few years back I know he converted at least 1 and probably several more. Those kids have a lot of faith in him and rightfully so, he's a good coach.
I was told be a lady who went to a Wakefield football game. She said after the game was over WHS girls came onto the track and held a night practice. I don't know how true it is, but even if it's partcially true, that's DEDICATION. Among all of the accusation (I've heard them too) I've met their coaches, met some of their athletes, seen the way they do things while at the meet. I'll bet my last dollar that they put in the work at practice.
Most of our female athletes aren't competing in other sports. We have a few who do tennis, volleyball, or basketball. However, most do XC or sit around from Aug-Dec or Aug-Mar.(I don't teach so I'm not at the school all the time)this past year I finally convinced a young lady to train year-round. And she improved dramatically from her Fr year to Soph year. going from 12.9 to 12.4 and I think she'll hit 12.2 maybe even 12.1 over the summer. The other girls are seeing this (some who were faster than her previously) and now they are prepared to train in the "off-season". Success-Breeds-Success
05/30/2013 2:29:54 PM
Coach
AMEN!
AMEN!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.