Sportsmanship
10/09/2013 2:16:27 PM
User
This happened at the Independence City Championships. A small meet just between Independence schools. The Middle Schools also have a meet the same day at the same location but I just wanted to share this with everyone. This came from a parent at the meet. "True sportsmanship I just wanted to take some time to tell you how proud I am of our High School Cross Country students. This year we have a runner, Allison, who has such dedication. At every meet she never quits and finishes each time. What makes this extraordinary? Allison is a runner who happens to have some disabilities. During meets most spectators don't even realize that we still have a runner on the course. Usually the next race has already started before she crosses the finish line. Once I cheer for her, people take notice and also cheer for her. Strangers. Every meet I have been brought to tears over strangers cheering on Allison. Last night was even more spectacular. I looked up and watched as several of our older girls were running alongside of Allison cheering her on, literally every step of the way. After a long day of school, probably close to six miles of running, our Fort Osage girls had plenty of other things to do. Instead they choose to encourage Allison to continue her race. Wow! Not only did Fort Osage show good sportsmanship, so did Truman High School. I overheard Truman students asking Fort Osage parents for her name. They wanted to personally cheer for her as she crossed the finish line. They kept watching for her on the course. "Where is she? " "Is Allison getting close?" “Her name is Allison.” The Truman students rounded up all of their teammates and gathered at the finish line to personally cheer her on by name. Once again, I had tears. These high school students showed great character and great sportsmanship last night. I am proud to be a Cross Country parent!"
This happened at the Independence City Championships. A small meet just between Independence schools. The Middle Schools also have a meet the same day at the same location but I just wanted to share this with everyone. This came from a parent at the meet.

"True sportsmanship

I just wanted to take some time to tell you how proud I am of our High School Cross Country students.

This year we have a runner, Allison, who has such dedication. At every meet she never quits and finishes each time. What makes this extraordinary? Allison is a runner who happens to have some disabilities. During meets most spectators don't even realize that we still have a runner on the course. Usually the next race has already started before she crosses the finish line. Once I cheer for her, people take notice and also cheer for her. Strangers. Every meet I have been brought to tears over strangers cheering on Allison.

Last night was even more spectacular. I looked up and watched as several of our older girls were running alongside of Allison cheering her on, literally every step of the way. After a long day of school, probably close to six miles of running, our Fort Osage girls had plenty of other things to do. Instead they choose to encourage Allison to continue her race. Wow!

Not only did Fort Osage show good sportsmanship, so did Truman High School. I overheard Truman students asking Fort Osage parents for her name. They wanted to personally cheer for her as she crossed the finish line. They kept watching for her on the course. "Where is she? " "Is Allison getting close?" "Her name is Allison." The Truman students rounded up all of their teammates and gathered at the finish line to personally cheer her on by name. Once again, I had tears.

These high school students showed great character and great sportsmanship last night. I am proud to be a Cross Country parent!"
10/10/2013 6:09:54 AM
Coach
Love it! Thanks for sharing Coach!
Love it! Thanks for sharing Coach!
10/10/2013 9:44:24 AM
Coach
I have seen your girl at practices on the bicycle trail and at a meet or two. I try to encourage her but not go overboard because I don't want her to feel strange or different from other runners. The great thing about cross-country is that in any "ball" sport she could be on the team but probably wouldn't actually get to play in any meaningful way. It is great to see her out there competing and I use her as an example of perseverance to my runners. Keep up the good work coach. Sean Nunn Raytown South
I have seen your girl at practices on the bicycle trail and at a meet or two. I try to encourage her but not go overboard because I don't want her to feel strange or different from other runners. The great thing about cross-country is that in any "ball" sport she could be on the team but probably wouldn't actually get to play in any meaningful way. It is great to see her out there competing and I use her as an example of perseverance to my runners. Keep up the good work coach.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.