regionals at dover downs
11/02/2013 1:58:18 PM
User
WHAT A POORLY EXECUTED RACE AT DOVER DOWNS, FROM THE LOOP AT THE START THE TAPE ALMOST TRIPPED A FEW GIRLS TO NOT HAVING ANY WORKERS ON THE TRACK TO SHOW THE RUNNERS WHERE TO GO,NO CONES SET UP ANYWHERE AND NO MILE MARKERS SO THE RACERS KNEW WHERE THEY WERE AND HOW MUCH FURTHER TO GO,TO THE BOTTLENECK AT THE BEGINNING AND ONLY FOUR PORT A POTTIES, THAT WASN'T ENOUGH AND WERE SO DISGUSTING I COULDN'T USE THEM. AND THIS WAS A REGIONAL RACE!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A POORLY EXECUTED RACE AT DOVER DOWNS, FROM THE LOOP AT THE START THE TAPE ALMOST TRIPPED A FEW GIRLS TO NOT HAVING ANY WORKERS ON THE TRACK TO SHOW THE RUNNERS WHERE TO GO,NO CONES SET UP ANYWHERE AND NO MILE MARKERS SO THE RACERS KNEW WHERE THEY WERE AND HOW MUCH FURTHER TO GO,TO THE BOTTLENECK AT THE BEGINNING AND ONLY FOUR PORT A POTTIES, THAT WASN'T ENOUGH AND WERE SO DISGUSTING I COULDN'T USE THEM.
AND THIS WAS A REGIONAL RACE!!!!!!!!!
11/02/2013 2:29:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cathyf40 Really,thanks for your kind words. Not sure about the tape you're talking about! I will simply say this, I did as well as I could for my first Regional meet. Course is true cross country mile markers were on the ground 1m 2m and 3m coaches had free access to the course to tell athletes where they were on the course at least you got to see your team compete while I was riding my bike making sure your athletes wouldn't get lost on a course that was very well marked! Do not criticize if you're not willing to give positive suggestions. I take putting on meets very seriously and worked 5 hours painting the course plus putting up boundary makers, the whole nine yards and if you have a complaint do so in a private message next time! Thanks for your concerns! Sorry things weren't as you would have liked.
@cathyf40 Really,thanks for your kind words. Not sure about the tape you're talking about! I will simply say this, I did as well as I could for my first Regional meet. Course is true cross country mile markers were on the ground 1m 2m and 3m coaches had free access to the course to tell athletes where they were on the course at least you got to see your team compete while I was riding my bike making sure your athletes wouldn't get lost on a course that was very well marked! Do not criticize if you're not willing to give positive suggestions. I take putting on meets very seriously and worked 5 hours painting the course plus putting up boundary makers, the whole nine yards and if you have a complaint do so in a private message next time! Thanks for your concerns! Sorry things weren't as you would have liked.
11/02/2013 2:38:05 PM
Power User
Where are the results? Who did the timing? ~Twangster
Where are the results? Who did the timing?

~Twangster
11/02/2013 2:44:37 PM
User
[quote=cathyf40]WHAT A POORLY EXECUTED RACE AT DOVER DOWNS, FROM THE LOOP AT THE START THE TAPE ALMOST TRIPPED A FEW GIRLS TO NOT HAVING ANY WORKERS ON THE TRACK TO SHOW THE RUNNERS WHERE TO GO,NO CONES SET UP ANYWHERE AND NO MILE MARKERS SO THE RACERS KNEW WHERE THEY WERE AND HOW MUCH FURTHER TO GO,TO THE BOTTLENECK AT THE BEGINNING AND ONLY FOUR PORT A POTTIES, THAT WASN'T ENOUGH AND WERE SO DISGUSTING I COULDN'T USE THEM. AND THIS WAS A REGIONAL RACE!!!!!!!!![/quote] @cathyf40 My son did not have the race he would have hoped for this morning but he does not believe this to be an accurate description of the race at all. He felt the course was very well marked. At no time was he confused about where to go. Yes, there was a bottleneck, but no worse than any other invitational. Like some others, he struggled with the hills (those downhill turns took out quite a few!) but that is just a lack of experience and not at all the fault of the race director. And having done everything from spectate at his races to running major marathons myself(albeit far more slowly) I can assure you that port a potties are always disgusting.
cathyf40 wrote:
WHAT A POORLY EXECUTED RACE AT DOVER DOWNS, FROM THE LOOP AT THE START THE TAPE ALMOST TRIPPED A FEW GIRLS TO NOT HAVING ANY WORKERS ON THE TRACK TO SHOW THE RUNNERS WHERE TO GO,NO CONES SET UP ANYWHERE AND NO MILE MARKERS SO THE RACERS KNEW WHERE THEY WERE AND HOW MUCH FURTHER TO GO,TO THE BOTTLENECK AT THE BEGINNING AND ONLY FOUR PORT A POTTIES, THAT WASN'T ENOUGH AND WERE SO DISGUSTING I COULDN'T USE THEM.
AND THIS WAS A REGIONAL RACE!!!!!!!!!

@cathyf40

My son did not have the race he would have hoped for this morning but he does not believe this to be an accurate description of the race at all. He felt the course was very well marked. At no time was he confused about where to go. Yes, there was a bottleneck, but no worse than any other invitational. Like some others, he struggled with the hills (those downhill turns took out quite a few!) but that is just a lack of experience and not at all the fault of the race director.

And having done everything from spectate at his races to running major marathons myself(albeit far more slowly) I can assure you that port a potties are always disgusting.
11/02/2013 2:49:44 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@bing28 really the only major complaint I would have would be the boxes. Teams that are competing for the win should be given equal positioning and not random. This was done at Pre-State and I felt that was fair.
@bing28 really the only major complaint I would have would be the boxes. Teams that are competing for the win should be given equal positioning and not random. This was done at Pre-State and I felt that was fair.
11/02/2013 3:03:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@twangster They will be up very soon, Big Dawg Ink did the meet.
@twangster They will be up very soon, Big Dawg Ink did the meet.
11/02/2013 3:03:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jrsteve2 From the xc rules manual: 4.5.2.3.2 Starting Positions. The starting position for each team in a state series meet shall be drawn by lot from left to right in advance by the meet manager or games committee. Individual contestants shall be assigned starting positions using the same procedure. I could have sworn Dover Downs was in Delaware! :-]
@jrsteve2 From the xc rules manual:

4.5.2.3.2 Starting Positions. The starting position for each team in a state series meet shall be drawn by lot from left to right in advance by the meet manager or games committee. Individual contestants shall be assigned starting positions using the same procedure.

I could have sworn Dover Downs was in Delaware!
11/02/2013 3:07:03 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@RayRodriguez thanks. But I would say box 22 was in the middle of the line...
@RayRodriguez thanks. But I would say box 22 was in the middle of the line...
11/02/2013 3:07:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jrsteve2 Thanks will keep that in mind. I truly tired to put on the best race possible and can only try to correct anything that I can. Thanks Coach Bingham
@jrsteve2 Thanks will keep that in mind. I truly tired to put on the best race possible and can only try to correct anything that I can. Thanks Coach Bingham
11/02/2013 3:09:28 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bing28 Coach can you please email them to me. todd.grasley@flocasts.com
@bing28 Coach can you please email them to me. todd.grasley@flocasts.com
11/02/2013 3:14:32 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@bing28 great job marking the course.
@bing28 great job marking the course.
11/02/2013 3:16:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@RayRodriguez Two things we choose box numbers at the meet, I was trying to be fare to everyone, I was getting ready to mark the boxes but Pete did them and somehow he went and put box 21 in he middle of the start line. You have been to the course and know the bottom field is tight but all in all it was good[ I will agree that the start line area was my biggest concern out of everything there] My team had box 19 on the inside of the course!
@RayRodriguez Two things we choose box numbers at the meet, I was trying to be fare to everyone, I was getting ready to mark the boxes but Pete did them and somehow he went and put box 21 in he middle of the start line. You have been to the course and know the bottom field is tight but all in all it was good My team had box 19 on the inside of the course!
11/02/2013 3:18:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TGrasley will do!
@TGrasley will do!
11/02/2013 3:35:02 PM
User
Coach Bing, Great Job on Hosting 3A Region 3 Cross Country Championship. Your map that was posted on FLRunners.com was accurate with the Mile Markers right where they were marked on the Course. Our Coach made sure all of our Athletes saw the map and walked the course before the race. This course is a true cross country course and not a road race course. I was in the woods at the 1.5 mile mark for both girls and boys races and no one had any difficulty with the course,I yelled at each and everyone of them, it was well marked. I know from experience it takes countless Hours of preparation to set up and manage a meet. You did a great job with the resources that you had. Was there challenges? Yes, And there always will be. Porta Potties are always a challenge you could have had 20 and that still would not be enough and yes Porta Potties (stink and are discusting). You did great getting the boys race off before thr rain. To bad the DJ could not keep playing but with the rain they had to stop. Again if anyone has complaints make sure they have their School and Coach bid to host the next Regional or District meet and have them volunteer. Again Great Job Coach Bobby Tyler Parent Volunteer 28 years
Coach Bing,
Great Job on Hosting 3A Region 3 Cross Country Championship. Your map that was posted on FLRunners.com was accurate with the Mile Markers right where they were marked on the Course. Our Coach made sure all of our Athletes saw the map and walked the course before the race. This course is a true cross country course and not a road race course. I was in the woods at the 1.5 mile mark for both girls and boys races and no one had any difficulty with the course,I yelled at each and everyone of them, it was well marked. I know from experience it takes countless Hours of preparation to set up and manage a meet. You did a great job with the resources that you had. Was there challenges? Yes, And there always will be. Porta Potties are always a challenge you could have had 20 and that still would not be enough and yes Porta Potties (stink and are discusting). You did great getting the boys race off before thr rain. To bad the DJ could not keep playing but with the rain they had to stop.
Again if anyone has complaints make sure they have their School and Coach bid to host the next Regional or District meet and have them volunteer.
Again Great Job
Coach Bobby Tyler
Parent Volunteer 28 years
11/02/2013 3:40:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jrsteve2 Thanks but I had no way of knowing that from your original post. I was only explaining that box selection in the state series is random/by lot....not according to which team is the most competitive. Even if the box assignment numbers were randomly painted from left to right And assigned in any other fashion, it would be random. But I wasn't there so I can't make many more comments
@jrsteve2
Thanks but I had no way of knowing that from your original post. I was only explaining that box selection in the state series is random/by lot....not according to which team is the most competitive.

Even if the box assignment numbers were randomly painted from left to right And assigned in any other fashion, it would be random.

But I wasn't there so I can't make many more comments
11/02/2013 4:16:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Couldn't agree more witty bo1974ty. Gary did a great job pulling off this meet. As anyone who has ever hosted a meet knows its not easy and you spend more time meet managing than coaching on the meet day. We're there a few things that could have been done differently? Yes, there always is. I suggest people walk a mile in a race directors shoes before leveling criticisms openly on a forum. Too all the teams and individuals that advanced today congrats. Today was about you not about a few overblown errors. Good luck next week. Again, good job Gary.
Couldn't agree more witty bo1974ty. Gary did a great job pulling off this meet. As anyone who has ever hosted a meet knows its not easy and you spend more time meet managing than coaching on the meet day. We're there a few things that could have been done differently? Yes, there always is. I suggest people walk a mile in a race directors shoes before leveling criticisms openly on a forum. Too all the teams and individuals that advanced today congrats. Today was about you not about a few overblown errors. Good luck next week. Again, good job Gary.
11/02/2013 4:25:53 PM
User
@cathyf40 You can complain about the porta potties- they are always disgusting. You can complain about the bugs, the rain, and rhe cold coffee. HOWEVER, you cannot complain about the course that was laid out. There is not a more dedicated coach to high school cross country than Coach Bingham. He puts everything he has into everything he does. Rather than complain, perhaps you should make some suggestions for improvement. Or....host it yourself!
@cathyf40
You can complain about the porta potties- they are always disgusting. You can complain about the bugs, the rain, and rhe cold coffee. HOWEVER, you cannot complain about the course that was laid out. There is not a more dedicated coach to high school cross country than Coach Bingham. He puts everything he has into everything he does. Rather than complain, perhaps you should make some suggestions for improvement. Or....host it yourself!
11/02/2013 4:31:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Great job Gary. Thanks for all the extra hours you put in to make this meet happen. If everyone only knew what all is involved in putting on even a small meet let alone a regional competition!! And to echo Mark...congrats to everyone moving on to the State Meet.
Great job Gary. Thanks for all the extra hours you put in to make this meet happen. If everyone only knew what all is involved in putting on even a small meet let alone a regional competition!! And to echo Mark...congrats to everyone moving on to the State Meet.
11/02/2013 4:39:12 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I am waiting to submit the results because there was a small discrepancy in a roster. What was downloaded from the FHSAA, was different that who had qualified (just for one team). I am waiting for the OK before sending them in.
I am waiting to submit the results because there was a small discrepancy in a roster. What was downloaded from the FHSAA, was different that who had qualified (just for one team). I am waiting for the OK before sending them in.
11/02/2013 5:15:40 PM
Power User
@runnerchick Thanks!
@runnerchick Thanks!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.