NAIA Eligibilty Question
01/26/2014 5:22:40 PM
User
I ran xc and track for 4 yrs at a d1 program. Ended up sitting out a season of xc,indoor and outdoor due to injury. I started in 06 and graduated in 2010 w a bachelor's degree. If I where to pursue an alternative bachelor's degree or masters program at an NAIA school would I still have any eligibility? Thanks!
I ran xc and track for 4 yrs at a d1 program. Ended up sitting out a season of xc,indoor and outdoor due to injury. I started in 06 and graduated in 2010 w a bachelor's degree. If I where to pursue an alternative bachelor's degree or masters program at an NAIA school would I still have any eligibility? Thanks!
01/27/2014 9:12:57 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Unless the rules have changed, You would not. Your clock has already started. You have 5 years to complete your 4 years of competition. So your clock started when you where a freshman at your D1 University. Had you never attended college you would be okay. - Former NAIA Coach
Unless the rules have changed, You would not. Your clock has already started. You have 5 years to complete your 4 years of competition. So your clock started when you where a freshman at your D1 University. Had you never attended college you would be okay.

* Former NAIA Coach
01/27/2014 11:19:41 AM
User
@CoachGCracker thanks coach. Im familiar with the 5 yr clock that applies to NCAA D1 athletes. But NAIA I think is a different governing body. So different rules I'm guessing (example Sam Vasquez. Started at D1 Arkansas in 2003-04 finished at Embry Riddle 08-11) posted a thread on letsrun.com and had a variety of different comments from people saying I would have eligibility at NAIA had I not graduated to id be eligible for D2 bc they do not have 5 yr clock and I only competed 3 out of my 4 seasons of eligibility.
@CoachGCracker thanks coach. Im familiar with the 5 yr clock that applies to NCAA D1 athletes. But NAIA I think is a different governing body. So different rules I'm guessing (example Sam Vasquez. Started at D1 Arkansas in 2003-04 finished at Embry Riddle 08-11) posted a thread on letsrun.com and had a variety of different comments from people saying I would have eligibility at NAIA had I not graduated to id be eligible for D2 bc they do not have 5 yr clock and I only competed 3 out of my 4 seasons of eligibility.
01/27/2014 1:25:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
That is correct but it is my understanding that it does apply now unless you can file a GAP form... which in some cases can be. My suggestion would be to look over legislation. http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=207988566&SPID=124108&SPSID=730210 Also this is in effect... What happens if I suffer an injury during college? If as a student athlete you suffer a season-ending injury or illness, NAIA rules provide for a way to deal with the loss of the opportunity to compete. Hardship requests must be verified by the medical doctor who treated you. The injury cannot have occurred in last regular season contest or during postseason, and you cannot have competed in more than a specified number of contests. If granted, hardships restore a season of competition but do not restore any terms toward the maximum 10 semesters/15 quarters http://www.playnaia.org/d/NAIA_GuidefortheCollegeBoundStudent.pdf
That is correct but it is my understanding that it does apply now unless you can file a GAP form... which in some cases can be. My suggestion would be to look over legislation.

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=207988566&SPID=124108&SPSID=730210

Also this is in effect...

What happens if I suffer an injury during college?
If as a student athlete you suffer a season-ending injury or illness, NAIA rules
provide for a way to deal with the loss of the opportunity to compete. Hardship
requests must be verified by the medical doctor who treated you. The injury cannot have
occurred in last regular season contest or during postseason, and you cannot have competed
in more than a specified number of contests. If granted, hardships restore a season
of competition but do not restore any terms toward the maximum 10 semesters/15 quarters

http://www.playnaia.org/d/NAIA_GuidefortheCollegeBoundStudent.pdf
01/27/2014 7:08:09 PM
User
[quote=ryancourtoy]@CoachGCracker thanks coach. Im familiar with the 5 yr clock that applies to NCAA D1 athletes. But NAIA I think is a different governing body. So different rules I'm guessing (example Sam Vasquez. Started at D1 Arkansas in 2003-04 finished at Embry Riddle 08-11) posted a thread on letsrun.com and had a variety of different comments from people saying I would have eligibility at NAIA had I not graduated to id be eligible for D2 bc they do not have 5 yr clock and I only competed 3 out of my 4 seasons of eligibility.[/quote] @ryancourtoy I thought DII had the 5 year clock also?
ryancourtoy wrote:

@ryancourtoy I thought DII had the 5 year clock also?
01/27/2014 7:53:27 PM
User
@Pennstate thats what I thought too. That is just what someone said that replied to my thread on another message board. It looks like something im going to have to look deeper into since im getting a variety of replies between the 2 threads I created.
@Pennstate thats what I thought too. That is just what someone said that replied to my thread on another message board. It looks like something im going to have to look deeper into since im getting a variety of replies between the 2 threads I created.
01/27/2014 8:56:40 PM
User
@ryancourtoy I believe they do, If you want I'm a DII runner so I could talk to my Coach about it?
@ryancourtoy I believe they do, If you want I'm a DII runner so I could talk to my Coach about it?
01/27/2014 9:09:13 PM
Coach
There are exceptions to the 5 year clock. Military Service and semesters under the 12 credit "full time enrollment" don't count against your 5 year clock. Seeing as you were a full time student I would be very shocked if you had eligibility. This is based on my current knowledge of D2 and the research I've done. NAIA is a weird one with their rules so I'm not completely sure.
There are exceptions to the 5 year clock. Military Service and semesters under the 12 credit "full time enrollment" don't count against your 5 year clock. Seeing as you were a full time student I would be very shocked if you had eligibility. This is based on my current knowledge of D2 and the research I've done. NAIA is a weird one with their rules so I'm not completely sure.
02/05/2014 3:19:48 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
NAIA Rule is that you can only compete as a graduate student at the school from which you graduated. If you had not graduated, then you may be able to use the final year at a NAIA school. If you had not graduated, then there would be some questions about competitive experience that you would have to answer and depending on the answers you may or may not have been charged the other season. There is no clock in the NAIA. You have 10 full-time semesters to complete 4 seasons. There are some restrictions on what kind of competition you can do during any year off from school. You can be charged seasons of competition during those off years if you compete in too many high level competitions, run for a club, receive coaching, etc.
NAIA Rule is that you can only compete as a graduate student at the school from which you graduated. If you had not graduated, then you may be able to use the final year at a NAIA school.

If you had not graduated, then there would be some questions about competitive experience that you would have to answer and depending on the answers you may or may not have been charged the other season.

There is no clock in the NAIA. You have 10 full-time semesters to complete 4 seasons. There are some restrictions on what kind of competition you can do during any year off from school. You can be charged seasons of competition during those off years if you compete in too many high level competitions, run for a club, receive coaching, etc.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.