Best Trails in the State
03/26/2014 9:59:29 PM
Admin
Where are the best running trails in the state? (rolling hills, plenty of miles, soft surface, etc)
Where are the best running trails in the state? (rolling hills, plenty of miles, soft surface, etc)
03/26/2014 10:44:01 PM
User
Go to Trailahassee.com
Go to Trailahassee.com
03/27/2014 8:25:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wekiva Springs-Orlando.
Wekiva Springs-Orlando.
03/27/2014 8:53:25 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Tallahassee area has everything. I've run all over the state. No offense, but nothing matches Leon County for variety and number of trails. Within a 10 mile radius of the capitol, you could get in a different 10 mile trail run, 10 days in a row, without repeating a route. Or take the "long" (15 miles) drive to the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge and share 15 miles of levee canal trails with deer, otters, gators, heron, mullet, bobcats... ...and for a break from the trails, if you want to hit the track you gotta leave the area to find an asphalt one. Every local high school/university track is soft surface, and most venues are visitor-friendly. There's a reason the ZAP Group, the Providence Group, and British Olympians have all visited Tally for winter training.
Tallahassee area has everything. I've run all over the state. No offense, but nothing matches Leon County for variety and number of trails. Within a 10 mile radius of the capitol, you could get in a different 10 mile trail run, 10 days in a row, without repeating a route. Or take the "long" (15 miles) drive to the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge and share 15 miles of levee canal trails with deer, otters, gators, heron, mullet, bobcats...

...and for a break from the trails, if you want to hit the track you gotta leave the area to find an asphalt one. Every local high school/university track is soft surface, and most venues are visitor-friendly.

There's a reason the ZAP Group, the Providence Group, and British Olympians have all visited Tally for winter training.
03/27/2014 3:02:44 PM
User
The Tampa Bay area surprisingly has a variety of different trails. I posted a list of trails on my blog within 50 mile radius of USF. check it out here - http://rccrunning.com/2014/03/13/tampa-bay-area-running-trails-50-mile-radius-of-tb/
The Tampa Bay area surprisingly has a variety of different trails. I posted a list of trails on my blog within 50 mile radius of USF. check it out here - http://rccrunning.com/2014/03/13/tampa-bay-area-running-trails-50-mile-radius-of-tb/
03/28/2014 2:51:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Prefonbain Tallahassee has the best trails when it comes to elevation change and they are all Extremely well maintained. Orlando area (out by UCF) has the best trails when it comes to variety (100's of miles). The Orlando area has tons of spectacular trail (way more than Tallahassee, but not as well groomed). You can run from Black Hammock Wilderness Area to the Little Big Econ Forest to the Charles Bronson State Forest to the Orlando Wetlands Park/St. Johns National Wildlife Refuge to Tosohatchee Wildlife Management Area...That point-to-point trail run would be well over 20 miles. All of these parks have connector trails and each park is loaded with endless miles of trail. -The Little-Big Econ State Forest is a Gold Mine! -Hal Scott Regional Preserve & Park (15-20 min South East of UCF) has plenty of flat, double-wide trail. -About 40 min. from UCF is Wekiwa Springs Wekiwa Springs is really nice with decent elevation change (black bear, deer, and turkey are all common sightings). -Doris Leaper Spruce Creek Preserve is about a 50 min. drive (North) from UCF and it is well worth the drive if you want a challenging 6.3 mile single track run. It has nice elevation change and plenty of turns. -About 50 min. West of UCF is the famous 9.65 mile clay road loop in Clermont with the typical elevation change you'd see in Tallahassee. -Go another 50 min. West and your at Crooms (sweet elevation change) and tons of trail. -Right across the street from UCF (behind the Holiday Inn) is a 1 mile (60m short of a mile) wood chipped, double wide trail (loops around a lake).
@Prefonbain

Tallahassee has the best trails when it comes to elevation change and they are all Extremely well maintained. Orlando area (out by UCF) has the best trails when it comes to variety (100's of miles). The Orlando area has tons of spectacular trail (way more than Tallahassee, but not as well groomed). You can run from Black Hammock Wilderness Area to the Little Big Econ Forest to the Charles Bronson State Forest to the Orlando Wetlands Park/St. Johns National Wildlife Refuge to Tosohatchee Wildlife Management Area...That point-to-point trail run would be well over 20 miles. All of these parks have connector trails and each park is loaded with endless miles of trail.
-The Little-Big Econ State Forest is a Gold Mine!
-Hal Scott Regional Preserve & Park (15-20 min South East of UCF) has plenty of flat, double-wide trail.
-About 40 min. from UCF is Wekiwa Springs
Wekiwa Springs is really nice with decent elevation change (black bear, deer, and turkey are all common sightings).
-Doris Leaper Spruce Creek Preserve is about a 50 min. drive (North) from UCF and it is well worth the drive if you want a challenging 6.3 mile single track run. It has nice elevation change and plenty of turns.
-About 50 min. West of UCF is the famous 9.65 mile clay road loop in Clermont with the typical elevation change you'd see in Tallahassee.
-Go another 50 min. West and your at Crooms (sweet elevation change) and tons of trail.
-Right across the street from UCF (behind the Holiday Inn) is a 1 mile (60m short of a mile) wood chipped, double wide trail (loops around a lake).
03/29/2014 8:56:10 AM
Admin
Thanks for all of the detailed responses! Very helpful!
Thanks for all of the detailed responses! Very helpful!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.