Poll: Public Poll: Should the NCHSAA follow NFHS and eliminate the ban on jewelry?

Option Votes Score
Yes - athletes should be allowed to wear jewelry without penalty. 107 92%
No - keep the rule the way it has always been. 9 8%
116 Votes

Vote!
Public Poll: Should the NCHSAA follow NFHS and eliminate the ban on jewelry?
08/20/2014 6:19:04 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The National Federation has removed the jewelry rule from the 2015 rule book, making it legal for athletes to wear jewelry during competition. The rationale for this decision is that the chance of injury from jewelry is minimal, whereas the effort put into policing jewelry has been significant. Also, many athletes have been disqualified for something that does not provide any competitive advantage. NCRunners wants to know where you stand on this subject, and the NCTCCCA is listening. They will make a proposal to the NCHSAA on this subject soon, so make your voice heard now! If there is clear support for one position over the other, that may influence what the NCHSAA decides. A choice has to be made soon, so that the policy can be in place for the start of the 2015 indoor track season in December.
The National Federation has removed the jewelry rule from the 2015 rule book, making it legal for athletes to wear jewelry during competition. The rationale for this decision is that the chance of injury from jewelry is minimal, whereas the effort put into policing jewelry has been significant. Also, many athletes have been disqualified for something that does not provide any competitive advantage.

NCRunners wants to know where you stand on this subject, and the NCTCCCA is listening. They will make a proposal to the NCHSAA on this subject soon, so make your voice heard now! If there is clear support for one position over the other, that may influence what the NCHSAA decides. A choice has to be made soon, so that the policy can be in place for the start of the 2015 indoor track season in December.
08/20/2014 1:26:08 PM
Coach
@CoachGeorgeRJR we need to do a poll on required duel meets, haha
@CoachGeorgeRJR we need to do a poll on required duel meets, haha
08/20/2014 3:20:08 PM
User
Common Sense would seem to dictate that the NO JEWELRY rule should never have been changed by the NFHS to start with. If everyone starts wearing jewelry then it is only a matter of time before someone gets injured from someone else's jewelry during a race. Which opens up a whole other Pandora's box of issues / questions. If you want to be in a fashion show become a model; if you want to run track then show up to run. Leave the jewelry at home or in the stands.
Common Sense would seem to dictate that the NO JEWELRY rule should never have been changed by the NFHS to start with.

If everyone starts wearing jewelry then it is only a matter of time before someone gets injured from someone else's
jewelry during a race. Which opens up a whole other Pandora's box of issues / questions.

If you want to be in a fashion show become a model; if you want to run track then show up to run.

Leave the jewelry at home or in the stands.
08/20/2014 5:31:21 PM
User
I think jewelry should be OK. One less thing for coaches and meet officials to worry about.
I think jewelry should be OK. One less thing for coaches and meet officials to worry about.
08/20/2014 9:51:11 PM
User
So how do you address the issue above with someone else's jewelry interferring / injuring another athlete during a race ? DQ the offender - that means officials have to be watching even more closely than they do now to see these types of things. Do nothing to the offender - Hardly seems fair to the offended party especially if they got injured and lost because of it.
So how do you address the issue above with someone else's jewelry interferring / injuring another athlete
during a race ?

DQ the offender - that means officials have to be watching even more closely than they do now to see these types of things.

Do nothing to the offender - Hardly seems fair to the offended party especially if they got injured and lost because of it.
08/20/2014 10:14:01 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Mitchell_Trojans The thing is, that hasn't really happened in the NCAA, where jewelry has been legal for years. The risk was studied by the NFHS and found to be extremely small, which is why they removed the rule in the first place. I don't follow your statement of "common sense" at all - just because something is theoretically possible doesn't make it likely. The real injury risk from jewelry is to self, not to others, such as when an athlete falls. That's something the athlete takes on himself or herself when choosing to wear it.
@Mitchell_Trojans The thing is, that hasn't really happened in the NCAA, where jewelry has been legal for years. The risk was studied by the NFHS and found to be extremely small, which is why they removed the rule in the first place. I don't follow your statement of "common sense" at all - just because something is theoretically possible doesn't make it likely. The real injury risk from jewelry is to self, not to others, such as when an athlete falls. That's something the athlete takes on himself or herself when choosing to wear it.
08/20/2014 10:28:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have been involved with Junior Olympics T&F for over 30 years. Kids from the age of 6 to 18 have been competing in jewelry for as long as I can remember. I can't recall one case where jewelry caused an injury or affected the outcome of a competition.
I have been involved with Junior Olympics T&F for over 30 years. Kids from the age of 6 to 18 have been competing in jewelry for as long as I can remember. I can't recall one case where jewelry caused an injury or affected the outcome of a competition.
08/20/2014 11:07:11 PM
User
We had a girls team tie up their hair in school color ribbons at regionals and were made to take them out. I thought that was a little much. I hate having to hold stuff just before a race when an athlete forgets to remove a piercing or necklace. Again, I hope the jewelry rule goes away.
We had a girls team tie up their hair in school color ribbons at regionals and were made to take them out. I thought that was a little much. I hate having to hold stuff just before a race when an athlete forgets to remove a piercing or necklace. Again, I hope the jewelry rule goes away.
08/21/2014 7:32:12 AM
Coach
I would welcome the end of the "jewelery rule" by the NCHSAA. While you are at it Jeff. You should conduct a poll on removing or keeping the "logo rule" as well. In my opinion, just another rule which has absolutely nothing to do with the sport. I think fashion statements are great for the sport. Many were talking about Jenny Simpsons outfits after what she wore in Eugene a few weeks back. I can also recall, how the U.S. professional women of the 80's - early 90's (Evelyn Ashford, Flo Jo) turned the track into a "fashion runway". Nothing wrong with expressing oneself through clothing or jewelery. It certainly worked for Liberace. I cannot recall his "bling" getting in the way of playing the piano and he took "bling" to another level. In the Spirit of Sport Jonathan Sherbourne Platinum Sports
I would welcome the end of the "jewelery rule" by the NCHSAA. While you are at it Jeff. You should conduct a poll on removing or keeping the "logo rule" as well. In my opinion, just another rule which has absolutely nothing to do with the sport. I think fashion statements are great for the sport. Many were talking about Jenny Simpsons outfits after what she wore in Eugene a few weeks back. I can also recall, how the U.S. professional women of the 80's - early 90's (Evelyn Ashford, Flo Jo) turned the track into a "fashion runway". Nothing wrong with expressing oneself through clothing or jewelery. It certainly worked for Liberace. I cannot recall his "bling" getting in the way of playing the piano and he took "bling" to another level.

In the Spirit of Sport
Jonathan Sherbourne
Platinum Sports
08/21/2014 7:52:22 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@StengthCoach That's on the agenda, but much farther down the list. :-] We have to get through some urgent issues that require proposals to the NCHSAA in the next few months, and then we can start working on longer-term projects.
@StengthCoach That's on the agenda, but much farther down the list. We have to get through some urgent issues that require proposals to the NCHSAA in the next few months, and then we can start working on longer-term projects.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.