COACHES INVITATIONAL SITE
01/15/2016 11:45:39 AM
Power User
The 2016 Coaches Invitational will now be contested at LAKEWOOD STADIUM as Georgia Tech is unable to house us due to the NCAA swimming Nationals Championships being on the same date. WE are excited about this opportunity at this outstanding facility and expect that the quality of competition will continue to showcase the Southeast's best athletes.
The 2016 Coaches Invitational will now be contested at LAKEWOOD STADIUM as Georgia Tech is unable to house us due to the NCAA swimming Nationals Championships being on the same date. WE are excited about this opportunity at this outstanding facility and expect that the quality of competition will continue to showcase the Southeast's best athletes.
01/16/2016 9:44:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Does anyone know whether the Lakewood Stadium track has been resurfaced in the past few years? Nice facility, but track surface excessively deteriorated to the point I will opt out of my plans to participate in the Coaches Invite this year. In 2014, the track looked like it had not been resurfaced since before the 1996 Olympic Games (training facility).
Does anyone know whether the Lakewood Stadium track has been resurfaced in the past few years? Nice facility, but track surface excessively deteriorated to the point I will opt out of my plans to participate in the Coaches Invite this year. In 2014, the track looked like it had not been resurfaced since before the 1996 Olympic Games (training facility).
01/17/2016 10:01:47 AM
Admin
Yes, newly surfaced after 2015 track season.
Yes, newly surfaced after 2015 track season.
01/17/2016 1:42:46 PM
User
That's too bad. Hope they replaced the Pole Vault pit and standards...they were still using the donated set from 96 as of a couple years ago. Standards don't even move without a sledgehammer..
That's too bad. Hope they replaced the Pole Vault pit and standards...they were still using the donated set from 96 as of a couple years ago. Standards don't even move without a sledgehammer..
01/18/2016 3:02:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Jefferson already shuts down their schools on the Friday of the boys' state track meet. Word is Carrollton has agreed to close down their schools Friday if the GHSA State XC Meet goes to a two day meet due to 7A being added. It would not then be surprising that Carrollton would alter their school calendar to host a combined state track meet- if that were ever considered. Unlikely to happen in Gwinnett Co.
Jefferson already shuts down their schools on the Friday of the boys' state track meet.

Word is Carrollton has agreed to close down their schools Friday if the GHSA State XC Meet goes to a two day meet due to 7A being added. It would not then be surprising that Carrollton would alter their school calendar to host a combined state track meet- if that were ever considered. Unlikely to happen in Gwinnett Co.
01/19/2016 8:29:30 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Lakewood is a GREAT facility! We've had region and sectionals there several times since I've been coaching. The only issue we had was with the condition of the track. But with a new track, that's been solved. Both the track and field events are GREAT for spectators. The stands are huge and there's lots of room. Don't get me wrong, I love Georgia Tech. There's something special about a meet on that college track with the city skyline in the background. But Lakewood is a great alternative. Another benefit that both of these tracks have is a rail so that kids can't run in lane zero.
Lakewood is a GREAT facility! We've had region and sectionals there several times since I've been coaching. The only issue we had was with the condition of the track. But with a new track, that's been solved. Both the track and field events are GREAT for spectators. The stands are huge and there's lots of room.

Don't get me wrong, I love Georgia Tech. There's something special about a meet on that college track with the city skyline in the background. But Lakewood is a great alternative. Another benefit that both of these tracks have is a rail so that kids can't run in lane zero.
01/20/2016 10:33:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Great news on new surface at Lakewood. Still Mondo?
Great news on new surface at Lakewood.
Still Mondo?
01/21/2016 8:16:12 AM
Power User
Yes
Yes
01/21/2016 11:54:58 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Gang, I, too, am concerned about the PV facility. Has it been upgraded? If not, I will be choosing another meet for that weekend. Anyone know? Cheers, PV-ATL
Gang,

I, too, am concerned about the PV facility. Has it been upgraded? If not, I will be choosing another meet for that weekend.

Anyone know?

Cheers,

PV-ATL
01/21/2016 1:31:17 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@PVATL I'm not exactly sure what you mean by upgraded, but we did region there last spring and the pole vault facility was perfectly fine. It's not as nice as Georgia Tech's pole vault pits, but it's just as nice as most weekend invitationals. Our highest vaulters were 10-0 for girls and 12-6 for boys, but we also had sectionals there in 2013 and 2014 where the top girl jumped 12-1 and the top boy jumped 14-0.
@PVATL

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by upgraded, but we did region there last spring and the pole vault facility was perfectly fine. It's not as nice as Georgia Tech's pole vault pits, but it's just as nice as most weekend invitationals. Our highest vaulters were 10-0 for girls and 12-6 for boys, but we also had sectionals there in 2013 and 2014 where the top girl jumped 12-1 and the top boy jumped 14-0.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.