Cross Country Adjustments
11/19/2017 10:59:45 AM
Admin
The FHSAA XC Advisory Committee will be meeting soon to discuss issues with our sport. If you have any recommendations or concerns that you would like to be addressed please let us know. You can post here or send me a private message. Coach Sumner LFCSumner3@aol.com
The FHSAA XC Advisory Committee will be meeting soon to discuss issues with our sport. If you have any recommendations or concerns that you would like to be addressed please let us know. You can post here or send me a private message.

Coach Sumner
LFCSumner3@aol.com
11/19/2017 11:22:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@LFCSumner3 A few weeks ago, there were some posts about Tie breakers in a team competition. Head-to-Head of the top 5 Vs. going to #6 athlete. My thought is to use them both. If both teams only have 5 athletes, then go to a Head-to-Head tie breaker. If one team only has 5 athletes and the other team has 6 or 7, then the tie breaker goes to a Head-to-Head situation. If both teams have 6 or 7 athletes, then go to the #6 athlete to break the tie.
@LFCSumner3

A few weeks ago, there were some posts about Tie breakers in a team competition. Head-to-Head of the top 5 Vs. going to #6 athlete. My thought is to use them both.

If both teams only have 5 athletes, then go to a Head-to-Head tie breaker.

If one team only has 5 athletes and the other team has 6 or 7, then the tie breaker goes to a Head-to-Head situation.

If both teams have 6 or 7 athletes, then go to the #6 athlete to break the tie.
11/19/2017 11:46:50 AM
Coach
this is crazy 7 teams out of 4a region2 at least in the girls. ill explain later
this is crazy 7 teams out of 4a region2 at least in the girls. ill explain later
11/19/2017 12:54:58 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@runbarefoot 4AR1 says Hi.
@runbarefoot

4AR1 says Hi.
11/19/2017 1:14:44 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@LFCSumner3 By no means am I part of the EVERYONE gets an award crowd,but, Just seems with all the work and commitment that teams and runners put into this very difficult sport. They should award top 15 individuals and top 3 teams . I know some feel the awards take to long ,but maybe they could do awards 30 min after the conclusion of each race ! JMHO
@LFCSumner3 By no means am I part of the EVERYONE gets an award crowd,but, Just seems with all the work and commitment that teams and runners put into this very difficult sport. They should award top 15 individuals and top 3 teams . I know some feel the awards take to long ,but maybe they could do awards 30 min after the conclusion of each race ! JMHO
11/19/2017 1:58:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
How about assignments going back to every two years instead of 4. A lot can change enrollment wise that never gets addressed. Schools could be stuck in a classification they don’t belong in due to 4 year assignments.
How about assignments going back to every two years instead of 4. A lot can change enrollment wise that never gets addressed. Schools could be stuck in a classification they don't belong in due to 4 year assignments.
11/19/2017 2:32:58 PM
Power User
Keep awards uniform i.e. top 10, 15 or 20 in districts , region and state get awards. Also, if someone places in awards position, they should get an award regardless of whether they ran the previous race. At state, if I understood it correctly, Joey Fitzpatrick finished fourth, scored for the team but did not get award. Then 11th place was moved up and received award. Not sure the logic behind that rule and decision.
Keep awards uniform i.e. top 10, 15 or 20 in districts , region and state get awards.
Also, if someone places in awards position, they should get an award regardless of whether they ran the previous race. At state, if I understood it correctly, Joey Fitzpatrick finished fourth, scored for the team but did not get award. Then 11th place was moved up and received award. Not sure the logic behind that rule and decision.
11/19/2017 3:35:06 PM
User
1: Only advance top 10 individuals from district to regions and from regions to state. Which will fix the medal discussion. 2:Keep awards at the end 3:No watches during the race. 4:Either allow 10 runners at districts, regions and state or keep it at 7 for all three.
1: Only advance top 10 individuals from district to regions and from regions to state. Which will fix the medal discussion.

2:Keep awards at the end

3:No watches during the race.

4:Either allow 10 runners at districts, regions and state or keep it at 7 for all three.
11/19/2017 3:35:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ubiQuitous1 I agree. That rule makes absolutely zero sense. That is like having 4 athletes run in the prelims of a 4x1 in the State Championship and then have a completely different set of 4 run in the Finals, win, and then not be able to receive their medals.
@ubiQuitous1

I agree. That rule makes absolutely zero sense. That is like having 4 athletes run in the prelims of a 4x1 in the State Championship and then have a completely different set of 4 run in the Finals, win, and then not be able to receive their medals.
11/19/2017 3:40:58 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I believe the intent of the rule is to keep powerhouse teams or teams in easier district/regions from resting their top guys and running them fresh at state. Not saying I disagree with the sentiment expressed just that this has been the rule for a long time. You have to run the entire state series. Maybe Alex can shed some light on it.
I believe the intent of the rule is to keep powerhouse teams or teams in easier district/regions from resting their top guys and running them fresh at state. Not saying I disagree with the sentiment expressed just that this has been the rule for a long time. You have to run the entire state series. Maybe Alex can shed some light on it.
11/19/2017 3:51:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@altimari As long as they are on the District entry list, it should be up to the coach to choose who gets to compete and at what level. That is how it is done in team sports as well as the previous example I gave with relay teams in track & field.
@altimari

As long as they are on the District entry list, it should be up to the coach to choose who gets to compete and at what level. That is how it is done in team sports as well as the previous example I gave with relay teams in track & field.
11/19/2017 3:56:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I don’t disagree. Just pointing out what I believe to be the intent of the rule.
I don't disagree. Just pointing out what I believe to be the intent of the rule.
11/20/2017 2:24:01 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=altimari]I don’t disagree. Just pointing out what I believe to be the intent of the rule.[/quote] @altimari You are correct. That is the intent of the rule.
altimari wrote:
I don't disagree. Just pointing out what I believe to be the intent of the rule.

@altimari

You are correct. That is the intent of the rule.
11/20/2017 7:06:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
1. Combine the 16 districts into 8 districts. We have too many small districts and it takes twice as many host schools, sites, etc. 2. Reduce the minimum number of meets to 4. Too much racing during the season makes it difficult to peak for the state meet. This is not tennis or golf. Every race has a cost and a risk. 3. Top 15 medals at the state meet and rolling awards.
1. Combine the 16 districts into 8 districts. We have too many small districts and it takes twice as many host schools, sites, etc.
2. Reduce the minimum number of meets to 4. Too much racing during the season makes it difficult to peak for the state meet. This is not tennis or golf. Every race has a cost and a risk.
3. Top 15 medals at the state meet and rolling awards.
11/20/2017 9:45:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@runner1000000 I am not arguing the validity of the intent of the rule in which you and the other poster have provided, but in thinking that intent through, here is my point of view...If a team is indeed a "Power House" team, then forcing them to run a District meet does not force them to give a 100% effort. In other words....A "Power House" team will be able to jog their top athletes and still qualify for the Region as well as give an 80% - 85% effort at the Region meet to qualify for the State meet. This still keeps them "fresh" for the State meet compared to the teams that had to give 100% effort to qualify through the rounds. So, if the intent of the FHSAA is to force a "Power House" team to run their athletes so they are not "fresh" for the state meet, then the rule is not meeting its objective. I would hope the FHSAA is not trying to control the outcomes of the State series (as the suggested intents imply).
@runner1000000

I am not arguing the validity of the intent of the rule in which you and the other poster have provided, but in thinking that intent through, here is my point of view...If a team is indeed a "Power House" team, then forcing them to run a District meet does not force them to give a 100% effort. In other words....A "Power House" team will be able to jog their top athletes and still qualify for the Region as well as give an 80% - 85% effort at the Region meet to qualify for the State meet. This still keeps them "fresh" for the State meet compared to the teams that had to give 100% effort to qualify through the rounds. So, if the intent of the FHSAA is to force a "Power House" team to run their athletes so they are not "fresh" for the state meet, then the rule is not meeting its objective.
I would hope the FHSAA is not trying to control the outcomes of the State series (as the suggested intents imply).
11/20/2017 9:47:48 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachboza I second the motion for all 3
@coachboza

I second the motion for all 3
11/20/2017 11:04:30 AM
Coach
When is the next district reassignment due to happen?
When is the next district reassignment due to happen?
11/20/2017 11:31:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I don’t think the intent implies any desired outcome by the fhsaa.
I don't think the intent implies any desired outcome by the fhsaa.
11/20/2017 12:34:52 PM
User
Any thoughts on having a JV Division in district, regional and state ? Just saying there are some pretty talented runners there as well or allow the 7 cap to change to 10 for regional and state. Some great runners there that may only have been a couple seconds behind position #7 on the team. Just an idea.
Any thoughts on having a JV Division in district, regional and state ? Just saying there are some pretty talented runners there as well or allow the 7 cap to change to 10 for regional and state. Some great runners there that may only have been a couple seconds behind position #7 on the team. Just an idea.
11/20/2017 3:02:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The justification for the rule regarding individuals not medaling in succeeding rounds if they are substituted for is based on the fact that this is a State Series. The State Champion is crowned for having been in all three meets.
The justification for the rule regarding individuals not medaling in succeeding rounds if they are substituted for is based on the fact that this is a State Series. The State Champion is crowned for having been in all three meets.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.