FHSAA Series Registration
04/07/2018 11:39:17 AM
Power User
All registration for FHSAA district meets is on www.directathletics.com It seems that the multiple posts, memos, etc. are not getting read or distributed. This seems to happen every year no matter what site is the online registration site, but this year it seems more coaches are unaware that registration is even happening. Personally I think it is time for us to have a MANDATORY head coaches meeting during the FACA clinic. If you don't attend, you can not have a team. The number of "I didn't know" responses is amazing! Please go and register ASAP.
All registration for FHSAA district meets is on www.directathletics.com

It seems that the multiple posts, memos, etc. are not getting read or distributed. This seems to happen every year no matter what site is the online registration site, but this year it seems more coaches are unaware that registration is even happening.

Personally I think it is time for us to have a MANDATORY head coaches meeting during the FACA clinic. If you don't attend, you can not have a team. The number of "I didn't know" responses is amazing!

Please go and register ASAP.
04/07/2018 11:59:06 AM
Coach
@Halfmiletiming You have to look at how many coaches go to FACA clinic, less than 10% is my guess. Those are the coaches that know whats going on. If you make it required to go to FACA, you will still have a great deal that can't make it for one reason or another. How about an online class that is required? We have online coaches meeting for state that is required for us to sign off. Do the same for State Series, they could have sent out email a month ago to ALL schools and required all coaches sign off on a ten minute training video.
@Halfmiletiming You have to look at how many coaches go to FACA clinic, less than 10% is my guess. Those are the coaches that know whats going on. If you make it required to go to FACA, you will still have a great deal that can't make it for one reason or another. How about an online class that is required? We have online coaches meeting for state that is required for us to sign off. Do the same for State Series, they could have sent out email a month ago to ALL schools and required all coaches sign off on a ten minute training video.
04/07/2018 12:21:40 PM
Coach
@coachbutler As you know, FHSAA has been trying to do all of these things over the years. Even with the online stuff, folks seem to turn it on and walk away until it's finished. Their interest is merely in getting credit rather than obtaining valuable information for the season. Any new ideas on disseminating information effectively within our scope as the governing body is always welcome. Unfortunately, our scope remains limited with all the external factors considered. The difference between those at FACA (for track & field and cross country) and those who don't attend may just be how seriously they take the profession and the impact they actually have on the students. I'm all ears and so are my colleagues in Gainesville. We are all looking for ways to be more effective in this effort.
@coachbutler As you know, FHSAA has been trying to do all of these things over the years. Even with the online stuff, folks seem to turn it on and walk away until it's finished. Their interest is merely in getting credit rather than obtaining valuable information for the season. Any new ideas on disseminating information effectively within our scope as the governing body is always welcome. Unfortunately, our scope remains limited with all the external factors considered. The difference between those at FACA (for track & field and cross country) and those who don't attend may just be how seriously they take the profession and the impact they actually have on the students. I'm all ears and so are my colleagues in Gainesville. We are all looking for ways to be more effective in this effort.
04/07/2018 12:23:27 PM
Power User
Doug, I am just saying a face to face would be the best way to get things done. Currently like you said about 10-20% go to the clinic and only about another 10-20% read emails or memos from FHSAA. seems like 50% or more ignore everything and then are shocked when they miss something or blame everyone and everything else for their lack of knowledge and skill. I think it is time for Head Coaches to be accountable for reading and following all FHSAA rules, memos, timelines, and general information. I totally agree that a very small portion seem to have any desire to keep up and get things done correctly. Scott
Doug,
I am just saying a face to face would be the best way to get things done. Currently like you said about 10-20% go to the clinic and only about another 10-20% read emails or memos from FHSAA. seems like 50% or more ignore everything and then are shocked when they miss something or blame everyone and everything else for their lack of knowledge and skill.

I think it is time for Head Coaches to be accountable for reading and following all FHSAA rules, memos, timelines, and general information. I totally agree that a very small portion seem to have any desire to keep up and get things done correctly.

Scott
04/07/2018 12:50:08 PM
Coach
@Halfmiletiming Scott, I agree but I think many will just say its not worth that 2500 stipend or whatever it is. Not sure best way to get all on board. Another coach in my district and I were discussing and my bet is at least 3 of the 10 teams in my district failed to get theirs in on time. I feel for the kids on those teams as if they can't do this right, what else are they neglecting? As my parents taught me, "If your going to do something, do it right the first time."
@Halfmiletiming Scott, I agree but I think many will just say its not worth that 2500 stipend or whatever it is. Not sure best way to get all on board. Another coach in my district and I were discussing and my bet is at least 3 of the 10 teams in my district failed to get theirs in on time. I feel for the kids on those teams as if they can't do this right, what else are they neglecting? As my parents taught me, "If your going to do something, do it right the first time."
04/07/2018 1:52:29 PM
Coach
One question and maybe Ed could clarify: Do we have to stick with the 4-6 guys we put in for the the relays? Say for the 4 x 1 I submitted runners A, B, C, D and E. Previously when we had relay cards we could use anyone we wanted Day of. Now it appears we are stuck with the ones we entered on direct athletics for that relay. How is this going to work?
One question and maybe Ed could clarify: Do we have to stick with the 4-6 guys we put in for the the relays? Say for the 4 x 1 I submitted runners A, B, C, D and E. Previously when we had relay cards we could use anyone we wanted Day of. Now it appears we are stuck with the ones we entered on direct athletics for that relay. How is this going to work?
04/07/2018 2:25:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@edwardjthompson I think you nailed it on the head about many coaches only caring about getting credit for watching a video rather than learning the information. Ways to prevent coaches from starting the video and walking away are: 1) Have a bubble pop up on the lower right of the screen that appears at different times (1:00, 3:00, :30, 4:00) while watching the video. The coach has 10 seconds to click on the bubble. If the bubble is not clicked in 10 seconds, then the video is timed out and the coach gets no credit for watching. The coach must then restart the presentation. 2) Have questions pertaining to previous slides. Maybe a question or two about the previous slide sprinkled throughout the presentation. Then at the end, have a 10-20 question quiz that is cumulative. The coach must score 100% to receive credit. Maybe you can create an online "Coach's' Book" where the T&F manual is broken up into chapters. Chapter 1....Important dates, Chapter 2...Eligibility, Chapter 3....Uniforms....Chapter 4.....State Series.....Chapter 5....District entry directions, Chapter 6....Link to their District to enter athletes, etc. Within each of those chapters, you can implement #'s 1 & 2 from above. Allow a coach to have their own "Coach's Book" where they sign in, read the material, take quizzes for each chapter, and save their progress as they go so they do not have to complete everything in one sitting. The District entry link becomes active only when Coaches complete the readings/pass quizzes with 100%
@edwardjthompson
I think you nailed it on the head about many coaches only caring about getting credit for watching a video rather than learning the information. Ways to prevent coaches from starting the video and walking away are:

1) Have a bubble pop up on the lower right of the screen that appears at different times (1:00, 3:00, :30, 4:00) while watching the video. The coach has 10 seconds to click on the bubble. If the bubble is not clicked in 10 seconds, then the video is timed out and the coach gets no credit for watching. The coach must then restart the presentation.

2) Have questions pertaining to previous slides. Maybe a question or two about the previous slide sprinkled throughout the presentation. Then at the end, have a 10-20 question quiz that is cumulative. The coach must score 100% to receive credit.

Maybe you can create an online "Coach's' Book" where the T&F manual is broken up into chapters. Chapter 1....Important dates, Chapter 2...Eligibility, Chapter 3....Uniforms....Chapter 4.....State Series.....Chapter 5....District entry directions, Chapter 6....Link to their District to enter athletes, etc. Within each of those chapters, you can implement #'s 1 & 2 from above. Allow a coach to have their own "Coach's Book" where they sign in, read the material, take quizzes for each chapter, and save their progress as they go so they do not have to complete everything in one sitting. The District entry link becomes active only when Coaches complete the readings/pass quizzes with 100%
04/07/2018 2:29:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler I know this question is directed at Ed, but I think the answer is "Yes." The manual says the 8 athletes you write down on the relay card at the District meet will be the only 8 you can choose from for that relay at the Region & State Levels.
@coachbutler

I know this question is directed at Ed, but I think the answer is "Yes." The manual says the 8 athletes you write down on the relay card at the District meet will be the only 8 you can choose from for that relay at the Region & State Levels.
04/07/2018 3:00:20 PM
Coach
Hmm, so we are getting relay cards at dis? So we can decide at district who is on the relay and not stuck with the ones we entered on DA?
Hmm, so we are getting relay cards at dis? So we can decide at district who is on the relay and not stuck with the ones we entered on DA?
04/07/2018 3:44:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler To me.....What is on the Relay card is what is "official." FlRunners or Direct Athletics are just mediums to enter athletes and have little if anything to do with FHSAA. I have not yet checked to see if FHSAA has their usual Relay cards posted on their site. I always type names of my athletes onto the Relay card. That Relay card is then collected upon check in. Who ever times your District meet will then enter the athletes from the Relay card into the Results for submission to FHSAA & the Region Host. To me, that is when the 8 athletes will be "written in stone." But you are right....we do need clarification. If we have to pick our 8 athletes and submit them via D.A., then Relay cards would be....obsolete and not necessary.
@coachbutler

To me.....What is on the Relay card is what is "official." FlRunners or Direct Athletics are just mediums to enter athletes and have little if anything to do with FHSAA. I have not yet checked to see if FHSAA has their usual Relay cards posted on their site. I always type names of my athletes onto the Relay card. That Relay card is then collected upon check in. Who ever times your District meet will then enter the athletes from the Relay card into the Results for submission to FHSAA & the Region Host. To me, that is when the 8 athletes will be "written in stone."

But you are right....we do need clarification. If we have to pick our 8 athletes and submit them via D.A., then Relay cards would be....obsolete and not necessary.
04/07/2018 3:53:23 PM
Coach
@multijumps Jose, I have been told in private message there are no relay cards this year. Whoever we put on DA is who we are using for state series. Don’t like that!
@multijumps Jose, I have been told in private message there are no relay cards this year. Whoever we put on DA is who we are using for state series. Don't like that!
04/07/2018 4:01:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
(3) Relay Personnel. Up to 8 contestants/competitors shall be declared eligible to compete on any relay when district entries are due. The pool of 8 contestants/competitors will remain intact throughout the state series and may not change. Rules pertaining to individual event limitations per athlete remain in effect. Relay personnel may be changed between the district and regional meets, between the regional meet and the Florida High School State Championship Series. Relay personnel may be changed between the prelims and finals on any level as long as such change is made in compliance with procedures established by the FHSAA. Changes between prelims and finals are limited to the 8 contestants/competitors listed on the relay team pool declared prior to the district meet. Once relay personnel report to the Clerk of the Course for a race, no change in personnel for that race is permissible.
(3) Relay Personnel.
Up to 8 contestants/competitors shall be declared eligible to compete on any relay when district entries are due. The pool of 8 contestants/competitors will remain intact throughout the state series and may not change. Rules pertaining to individual event limitations per athlete remain in effect. Relay personnel may be changed between the district and regional meets, between the regional meet and the Florida High School State Championship Series. Relay personnel may be changed between the prelims and finals on any level as long as such change is made in compliance with procedures established by the FHSAA. Changes between prelims and finals are limited to the 8 contestants/competitors listed on the relay team pool declared prior to the district meet. Once relay personnel report to the Clerk of the Course for a race, no change in personnel for that race is permissible.
04/07/2018 4:12:15 PM
Coach
@EMAC thx Coach, I know since I hosed this, there are MANY others in my boat.
@EMAC thx Coach, I know since I hosed this, there are MANY others in my boat.
04/07/2018 4:15:37 PM
Coach
@coachbutler For the relays, you get up to 8 per relay to declare. You'll need to stick with those eight through to the end. For about 95% of the teams out there, this should simplify the process at check-in for everyone. Very few teams are deeper than 8 (let alone six) in any given relay.
@coachbutler For the relays, you get up to 8 per relay to declare. You'll need to stick with those eight through to the end. For about 95% of the teams out there, this should simplify the process at check-in for everyone. Very few teams are deeper than 8 (let alone six) in any given relay.
04/07/2018 4:17:47 PM
Coach
@multijumps I love all of these ideas, especially the book/manual. I made a similar change with how the state meet information is delivered and it seems work a little better than a powerpoint presentation. With important information scattered about, it can be difficult for newer coaches to find and process what's there. I'm going to work on this item in particular. Thanks for the suggestions.
@multijumps I love all of these ideas, especially the book/manual. I made a similar change with how the state meet information is delivered and it seems work a little better than a powerpoint presentation. With important information scattered about, it can be difficult for newer coaches to find and process what's there. I'm going to work on this item in particular. Thanks for the suggestions.
04/07/2018 4:20:09 PM
Coach
@coachbutler We expanded the pool from 6 to 8 so that coaches wouldn't be as restricted as they were with the cards. We're hoping that expansion mitigates the anxiety some have about who they're running in those relays.
@coachbutler We expanded the pool from 6 to 8 so that coaches wouldn't be as restricted as they were with the cards. We're hoping that expansion mitigates the anxiety some have about who they're running in those relays.
04/07/2018 4:32:00 PM
Coach
@edwardjthompson hanks Ed, the problem is I missed the boat on making sure all 6-8 were on my entries on Direct Athletics. Now its too late as entries are closed out. My mistake, as I wanted to add a kid that I didn't put on the relay. I know I can't be alone in this boat. I am betting there are going to be a great many coaches show up at district this week expecting relay cards and being able to put down who they want. Meet hosts might not all be aware that coaches can't change from what they put down on Direct Athletics.
@edwardjthompson hanks Ed, the problem is I missed the boat on making sure all 6-8 were on my entries on Direct Athletics. Now its too late as entries are closed out. My mistake, as I wanted to add a kid that I didn't put on the relay. I know I can't be alone in this boat. I am betting there are going to be a great many coaches show up at district this week expecting relay cards and being able to put down who they want. Meet hosts might not all be aware that coaches can't change from what they put down on Direct Athletics.
04/07/2018 4:40:46 PM
Coach
@coachbutler Send me an email with the kid's name that you'd like added and which event.
@coachbutler Send me an email with the kid's name that you'd like added and which event.
04/07/2018 4:59:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Since we are not using Relay cards, then you will have to enter all your relay personnel via D.A. Our District entries are due tomorrow. I entered all 8 of our personnel via D.A. (just in case). When I read this rule change at the beginning of the season, I felt is was pretty major in terms of how we as coaches have always done things. We can no longer plan from level to level at each level. I did/do not like this change either. Maybe you can contact the District host and ask then if they could extend the "due' date of your District entries until Sunday night? When is your district meet scheduled for?
@coachbutler
Since we are not using Relay cards, then you will have to enter all your relay personnel via D.A. Our District entries are due tomorrow. I entered all 8 of our personnel via D.A. (just in case). When I read this rule change at the beginning of the season, I felt is was pretty major in terms of how we as coaches have always done things. We can no longer plan from level to level at each level. I did/do not like this change either. Maybe you can contact the District host and ask then if they could extend the "due' date of your District entries until Sunday night? When is your district meet scheduled for?
04/07/2018 5:02:45 PM
Coach
@multijumps Jose, you have to catch up, Read above : )
@multijumps Jose, you have to catch up, Read above : )

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.