FHSAA Reclassification 2019
12/04/2018 9:46:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
When will the reclassification be announced? I have heard the XC and Track will be more than just 4 Divisions. Opinions and thoughts? Anyone have definitive answers?
When will the reclassification be announced?

I have heard the XC and Track will be more than just 4 Divisions.

Opinions and thoughts? Anyone have definitive answers?
12/04/2018 11:04:32 PM
Power User
@Coach_Fleitas Depending on how they are deciding to draw the lines for either enrollment or participation, how many districts, how many regions, does it affect the number of qualifying teams currently in place... I ran in the mid 90s...and it was 5 classes with 4 teams advancing to state from 4 regions...16 teams per class at state...total of 80 teams for each gender Currently it is 4 classes with 6 teams advancing from 4 regions...24 per class at state...total of 96 teams for each gender[ a reasonable increase ] If they go to 5 and keep it the same with 6 teams advancing State will be 120 teams per gender...not in favor of that one bit 5 advancing teams from each region... maybe make it an even 100 total teams at State, that I could be on board with
@Coach_Fleitas
Depending on how they are deciding to draw the lines for either enrollment or participation, how many districts, how many regions, does it affect the number of qualifying teams currently in place...

I ran in the mid 90s...and it was 5 classes with 4 teams advancing to state from 4 regions...16 teams per class at state...total of 80 teams for each gender

Currently it is 4 classes with 6 teams advancing from 4 regions...24 per class at state...total of 96 teams for each gender

If they go to 5 and keep it the same with 6 teams advancing State will be 120 teams per gender...not in favor of that one bit
5 advancing teams from each region... maybe make it an even 100 total teams at State, that I could be on board with
12/05/2018 8:47:20 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_Fleitas Timeline: [s]December 2018 [/s] Football Commitments Due (Deadline: Dec. 4) Preliminary Release of Football Classifications and Districts (By: Dec. 21) [s]January 2019 [/s] Finalization of Football Classifications and Districts Sport Commitments Due (all remaining sports via Home Campus) Fall Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BO, XC, GO, SWD and GVB) [s]March 2019 [/s] Winter Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BK, CC, SC, GWT and WR) [s]May/June 2019 [/s] Spring Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BA, FF, LAX, SB, TN, TK, BVB, WP and BWT) Note: Releases for a given sport will occur after that sport season has fully concluded
@Coach_Fleitas

Timeline:

December 2018

Football Commitments Due (Deadline: Dec. 4)
Preliminary Release of Football Classifications and Districts (By: Dec. 21)

January 2019

Finalization of Football Classifications and Districts
Sport Commitments Due (all remaining sports via Home Campus)
Fall Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BO, XC, GO, SWD and GVB)

March 2019

Winter Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BK, CC, SC, GWT and WR)

May/June 2019

Spring Sport Classifications and Districts Released (BA, FF, LAX, SB, TN, TK, BVB, WP and BWT)
Note: Releases for a given sport will occur after that sport season has fully concluded
12/05/2018 9:44:18 AM
Power User
@Coach_Fleitas if they do go to more than 4 Classifications what does that do to the 2 day State Track meet?
@Coach_Fleitas
if they do go to more than 4 Classifications what does that do to the 2 day State Track meet?
12/05/2018 10:01:14 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 The more Classifications the more people that attend = more $. My guess it will either go back to a two weekend event if we had more Classifications or it would just be longer rest for athletes between events = faster times! thoughts?
@raycer131

The more Classifications the more people that attend = more $. My guess it will either go back to a two weekend event if we had more Classifications or it would just be longer rest for athletes between events = faster times!

thoughts?
12/05/2018 10:34:34 AM
Power User
@Coach_Fleitas I don't like the 2 day State personally. I know I am in the minority. Everyone wants fast times and recovery etc... but when those fast times come from the one dominant kid and don't mimic normal weekly meets I find it unfair. The fastest 800m, 1600m, and 3200m are also potentially on a 4x4 or 4x8 and needs to be managed as during the season in a regular meet. I remember when athletes would forgo one of the events to increase their odds of the State Championship. Doing all 4 events now ( back then you could only do 3 running events mind you) is far easier then it would have been years ago, in the past the 1600m and 3200m double was about 90 min recovery not as easy as it is in today's timeline, and the 1600m / 800m double was very difficult in the one day State meet with about 1 hour recovery. Doing all 3 was a feat, which had been done, but was looked upon as amazing and it was undeniably so.
@Coach_Fleitas
I don't like the 2 day State personally. I know I am in the minority. Everyone wants fast times and recovery etc... but when those fast times come from the one dominant kid and don't mimic normal weekly meets I find it unfair. The fastest 800m, 1600m, and 3200m are also potentially on a 4x4 or 4x8 and needs to be managed as during the season in a regular meet. I remember when athletes would forgo one of the events to increase their odds of the State Championship. Doing all 4 events now ( back then you could only do 3 running events mind you) is far easier then it would have been years ago, in the past the 1600m and 3200m double was about 90 min recovery not as easy as it is in today's timeline, and the 1600m / 800m double was very difficult in the one day State meet with about 1 hour recovery. Doing all 3 was a feat, which had been done, but was looked upon as amazing and it was undeniably so.
12/05/2018 2:59:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=raycer131]@Coach_Fleitas I don't like the 2 day State personally. I know I am in the minority. Everyone wants fast times and recovery etc... but when those fast times come from the one dominant kid and don't mimic normal weekly meets I find it unfair. The fastest 800m, 1600m, and 3200m are also potentially on a 4x4 or 4x8 and needs to be managed as during the season in a regular meet. I remember when athletes would forgo one of the events to increase their odds of the State Championship. Doing all 4 events now ( back then you could only do 3 running events mind you) is far easier then it would have been years ago, in the past the 1600m and 3200m double was about 90 min recovery not as easy as it is in today's timeline, and the 1600m / 800m double was very difficult in the one day State meet with about 1 hour recovery. Doing all 3 was a feat, which had been done, but was looked upon as amazing and it was undeniably so.[/quote] Yes, we are in the minority! I completely agree.
raycer131 wrote:
@Coach_Fleitas
I don't like the 2 day State personally. I know I am in the minority. Everyone wants fast times and recovery etc... but when those fast times come from the one dominant kid and don't mimic normal weekly meets I find it unfair. The fastest 800m, 1600m, and 3200m are also potentially on a 4x4 or 4x8 and needs to be managed as during the season in a regular meet. I remember when athletes would forgo one of the events to increase their odds of the State Championship. Doing all 4 events now ( back then you could only do 3 running events mind you) is far easier then it would have been years ago, in the past the 1600m and 3200m double was about 90 min recovery not as easy as it is in today's timeline, and the 1600m / 800m double was very difficult in the one day State meet with about 1 hour recovery. Doing all 3 was a feat, which had been done, but was looked upon as amazing and it was undeniably so.

Yes, we are in the minority! I completely agree.
12/06/2018 8:07:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 I trully believe that Florida has some the best athletes in the country. Why is two days better than 1: 1)The two day race allows for student athletes to perform at the highest level every time they race. 2) It is proven muscles are loose and the nervous system is warmed up for faster times the next day. 3)Instead of some athletes running 6-8 races in 24 hours an athlete only runs 3-4. 4) I personally love the two day meets Texas, California, NY are just a few of the states that have two day state championships. I started this discussion to hear from others on the thoughts of adding Classifications. I believe this is something in the works from the FHSAA.
@raycer131

I trully believe that Florida has some the best athletes in the country.

Why is two days better than 1:

1)The two day race allows for student athletes to perform at the highest level every time they race.
2) It is proven muscles are loose and the nervous system is warmed up for faster times the next day.
3)Instead of some athletes running 6-8 races in 24 hours an athlete only runs 3-4.
4) I personally love the two day meets Texas, California, NY are just a few of the states that have two day state championships.

I started this discussion to hear from others on the thoughts of adding Classifications. I believe this is something in the works from the FHSAA.
12/06/2018 11:11:18 AM
Power User
@Coach_Fleitas I get what your and the majority of coaches point of view is, and I did not mean to digress from the reclassification and make this about the 2 day meet, but... If all year athletes are put to the test to come back and recover in a few hours why change it for the State meet. Some athletes have the districts and regions of death that we all discuss and may not be able to make it in 2 or 3 events due to the short recovery versus lets say an elite athlete that can coast to State in all 3 in a sub par region (for arguments sake) now not only did that athlete coast to state but now gets the added benefit competes with complete rest against the field at State or as you put it to "run even faster times in day 2"...
@Coach_Fleitas

I get what your and the majority of coaches point of view is, and I did not mean to digress from the reclassification and make this about the 2 day meet, but...
If all year athletes are put to the test to come back and recover in a few hours why change it for the State meet. Some athletes have the districts and regions of death that we all discuss and may not be able to make it in 2 or 3 events due to the short recovery versus lets say an elite athlete that can coast to State in all 3 in a sub par region (for arguments sake) now not only did that athlete coast to state but now gets the added benefit competes with complete rest against the field at State or as you put it to "run even faster times in day 2"...
12/06/2018 2:07:22 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 The at large qualifier is something that was put in place to allow for kids in some of the more difficult regionals a fair chance to advance to States. I have been apart of 4A Region 1 in Cross Country and 4A Region 4 in Track.I understand the your view, I am actually for Regionals becoming two days.
@raycer131
The at large qualifier is something that was put in place to allow for kids in some of the more difficult regionals a fair chance to advance to States.

I have been apart of 4A Region 1 in Cross Country and 4A Region 4 in Track.I understand the your view, I am actually for Regionals becoming two days.
12/06/2018 2:49:37 PM
Power User
@Coach_Fleitas That is another conversation as well... I think that the current set up diminishes the importance of every other race leading up to state, and the State meet is too large. The States that you listed as having a 2 day State meet is because they have a qualifying standard to get in to the State meet as opposed to a playoff system and they limit entry to only the elite of the elite. Florida has yet to go that route, and I am not opposed to doing it that way, but there is way too much money for FHSAA to cut out District and Regional meets Curious how your original message of adding divisions leads to the forced changes to the State meet for Track... in XC it wont really affect anything other than adding an additional 24 teams (which I think is ridiculous but whatever)
@Coach_Fleitas

That is another conversation as well... I think that the current set up diminishes the importance of every other race leading up to state, and the State meet is too large. The States that you listed as having a 2 day State meet is because they have a qualifying standard to get in to the State meet as opposed to a playoff system and they limit entry to only the elite of the elite. Florida has yet to go that route, and I am not opposed to doing it that way, but there is way too much money for FHSAA to cut out District and Regional meets

Curious how your original message of adding divisions leads to the forced changes to the State meet for Track... in XC it wont really affect anything other than adding an additional 24 teams (which I think is ridiculous but whatever)
12/07/2018 9:10:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 I don't think the FHSAA makes a lot (any) money on district or region meets, but I could be wrong.
@raycer131 I don't think the FHSAA makes a lot (any) money on district or region meets, but I could be wrong.
12/07/2018 9:21:24 AM
Power User
@jlafollette It is pure profit, they take their percentages from gate and shirts with little to no work on their end...all on the host... it may seem like a little but there are 16 districts over 4 classes each sending a check... why not increase revenue by 25% by adding 1 more class and doing 0 extra work
@jlafollette
It is pure profit, they take their percentages from gate and shirts with little to no work on their end...all on the host... it may seem like a little but there are 16 districts over 4 classes each sending a check... why not increase revenue by 25% by adding 1 more class and doing 0 extra work
12/07/2018 9:37:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 Are you sure? I think they have changed track and field to not have to pay a cut for district (and region?) ticket sales anymore. I know we don't pay a cut for cc districts.
@raycer131 Are you sure? I think they have changed track and field to not have to pay a cut for district (and region?) ticket sales anymore. I know we don't pay a cut for cc districts.
12/07/2018 10:12:34 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 The FHSAA no longer takes any money from District or Region events for XC/Track. As for the reclassification, we met earlier this week for the Cross Country Advisory Committee and it was discussed. We voted to approve an action item proposing to realign districts to a fixed number of schools, making all districts more even and doing away with the advancement to region based on the number of teams on the starting line. The proposal from the FHSAA recommends moving from 4 districts to 2 per region. It would allow for 10 teams to advance to region from each district and 30 individuals.
@raycer131

The FHSAA no longer takes any money from District or Region events for XC/Track.

As for the reclassification, we met earlier this week for the Cross Country Advisory Committee and it was discussed. We voted to approve an action item proposing to realign districts to a fixed number of schools, making all districts more even and doing away with the advancement to region based on the number of teams on the starting line. The proposal from the FHSAA recommends moving from 4 districts to 2 per region. It would allow for 10 teams to advance to region from each district and 30 individuals.
12/07/2018 10:20:04 AM
Power User
@southforkrunning Thank you for all the information...you are always on top of it...was there any discussion or decision on going to a 5th class? And if so how would track be handled for State?
@southforkrunning
Thank you for all the information...you are always on top of it...was there any discussion or decision on going to a 5th class? And if so how would track be handled for State?
12/07/2018 11:36:50 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@raycer131 I cannot speak for Track, but Cross Country will remain at 4.
@raycer131

I cannot speak for Track, but Cross Country will remain at 4.
12/07/2018 2:20:17 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@southforkrunning Wouldn't 2 districts per region cause more travel expenses? I understand 2010 (i think) was the last time they had 2 districts per region and then moved to 4 per region in 2011.
@southforkrunning
Wouldn't 2 districts per region cause more travel expenses? I understand 2010 (i think) was the last time they had 2 districts per region and then moved to 4 per region in 2011.
12/07/2018 3:14:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@southforkrunning so are you saying 2 even districts per region and 10 schools and 30 individuals go? When I say even I mean even number of schools. Would the four classifications be roughly even amount of teams? This could make for 20 school districts. That would really change the race.
@southforkrunning
so are you saying 2 even districts per region and 10 schools and 30 individuals go? When I say even I mean even number of schools.

Would the four classifications be roughly even amount of teams?

This could make for 20 school districts. That would really change the race.
12/07/2018 4:23:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Longhorn Yes. 4 regions, 2 districts per region...each district would be comparable in size (+/- 1 school). The districts would obviously be larger (approx. 18 schools) and the top 10 teams and top 30 individuals would advance to region.
@Longhorn

Yes. 4 regions, 2 districts per region...each district would be comparable in size (+/- 1 school). The districts would obviously be larger (approx. 18 schools) and the top 10 teams and top 30 individuals would advance to region.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.