Gaither injured at Carifta....
04/25/2011 1:20:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just got off the phone with mom, felt discomfort in her hamstring after the 100m semis, ran the finals of the 100 and noticed a knot in her hamstring. The training staff has been working on her to remedy the problem. As I get further info I will pass it along.
Just got off the phone with mom, felt discomfort in her hamstring after the 100m semis, ran the finals of the 100 and noticed a knot in her hamstring. The training staff has been working on her to remedy the problem. As I get further info I will pass it along.
04/25/2011 4:02:22 PM
User
Speechless
Speechless
04/25/2011 5:20:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Me also! Believe me when I say it was suggested she not go.
Me also! Believe me when I say it was suggested she not go.
04/25/2011 7:08:40 PM
User
Injury aside....I completely understand - As a coach you would want full control of an athlete during that particular sport duration - It has to be difficult to train and have to share an upper elite athlete - particularly one you help reach that level.
Injury aside....I completely understand - As a coach you would want full control of an athlete during that particular sport duration - It has to be difficult to train and have to share an upper elite athlete - particularly one you help reach that level.
04/25/2011 8:08:57 PM
User
Sorry to hear this coach. My prays are w/her, her family and you for a speedy recovery. Hopefully, its just a strain.
Sorry to hear this coach. My prays are w/her, her family and you for a speedy recovery. Hopefully, its just a strain.
04/25/2011 8:15:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I understand that as a high school coach, we prefer that the state series be at the top of the priority list, but to these kids, CARIFTA is a big deal and honestly, in the grand scheme of track, it's probably bigger than our state series. It certainly is to these kids when they go home. I have a kid who would have won his age group at CARIFTA this year after placing third last year in his event specialty. It was a tough decision for him and ultimately he decided to go to Taco Bell with us a few weeks ago instead of CARIFTA trials. I would have understood either way. As far as getting hurt, that's just terrible luck.
I understand that as a high school coach, we prefer that the state series be at the top of the priority list, but to these kids, CARIFTA is a big deal and honestly, in the grand scheme of track, it's probably bigger than our state series. It certainly is to these kids when they go home.

I have a kid who would have won his age group at CARIFTA this year after placing third last year in his event specialty. It was a tough decision for him and ultimately he decided to go to Taco Bell with us a few weeks ago instead of CARIFTA trials. I would have understood either way.

As far as getting hurt, that's just terrible luck.
04/25/2011 8:28:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dddd I understand that coach, if you knew Tiny then you would know that winning another State Championship is as important as every other meet. She gets hyped up for a dual meet, she just loves to compete. Regardless of where she runs in the world, I train her daily and she "runs" where the schedule is made. I have no problem with CARIFTA and the event itself. My concern was her running 5 races on Thursday (districts) 2 0n Saturday, 2 on Sunday, and 1 on Monday. Professional athletes don't compete like that so that is the cause of my concern. Add to the fact that she has been with me since 7th grade and is like my own child, I didn't like the risk of injury due to fatigue factor.
@dddd I understand that coach, if you knew Tiny then you would know that winning another State Championship is as important as every other meet. She gets hyped up for a dual meet, she just loves to compete. Regardless of where she runs in the world, I train her daily and she "runs" where the schedule is made. I have no problem with CARIFTA and the event itself. My concern was her running 5 races on Thursday (districts) 2 0n Saturday, 2 on Sunday, and 1 on Monday. Professional athletes don't compete like that so that is the cause of my concern. Add to the fact that she has been with me since 7th grade and is like my own child, I didn't like the risk of injury due to fatigue factor.
04/25/2011 8:32:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just got off the phone with Tynia herself. She says that the leg is doing well and it was a strain but more due to fatigue so she sat out the rest of the meet to make sure she was okay for Regionals. She will have massage therapy tomorrow upon her arrival home and should be fine. Thanks for your concern everyone. She said it was a scary moment.
Just got off the phone with Tynia herself. She says that the leg is doing well and it was a strain but more due to fatigue so she sat out the rest of the meet to make sure she was okay for Regionals. She will have massage therapy tomorrow upon her arrival home and should be fine. Thanks for your concern everyone. She said it was a scary moment.
04/27/2011 9:47:53 AM
Coach
@epinellas Good to hear coach.
@epinellas Good to hear coach.
04/27/2011 10:58:38 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Great that she's ok... Now LET'S GET IT!!!
Great that she's ok... Now LET'S GET IT!!!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.