Article Comment: Bracy Breaks National Record 55m at Jimmy Carnes
01/29/2012 8:45:52 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Shayla kicked some butt... two US #1s!! Bracy's times convert to some sick 100m time close to 10.0 territory. I'm going to try to find a solid conversion.
Shayla kicked some butt... two US #1s!!

Bracy's times convert to some sick 100m time close to 10.0 territory. I'm going to try to find a solid conversion.
01/29/2012 11:27:30 PM
User
Any other nerds realize how awesome it is that his number was 1337?
Any other nerds realize how awesome it is that his number was 1337?
01/30/2012 12:30:27 AM
User
I managed to get my own video of Bracy's race. I threw it up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. http://youtu.be/IUA1u09EMhI
I managed to get my own video of Bracy's race. I threw it up on YouTube if anyone wants to see it. http://youtu.be/IUA1u09EMhI
01/30/2012 1:31:55 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@Verde95 Thanks very much for sharing. I added it to the meet page. Your angle is really sick and shows just how dominating he was over the field..... and that's nothing against the field, he's just super-human. And awesome insight on his quick reaction time!!!
@Verde95 Thanks very much for sharing. I added it to the meet page. Your angle is really sick and shows just how dominating he was over the field..... and that's nothing against the field, he's just super-human. And awesome insight on his quick reaction time!!!
01/30/2012 7:36:22 AM
Power User
I agree. I looked at the footage and took a screenshot. He is still in the blocks when the gun went off. My projection is he will run 9.96 by Olympic Trials and make the finals. Possibly on the mile relay team as an alternate. But, I could be wrong....he could do much better :)
I agree. I looked at the footage and took a screenshot.

He is still in the blocks when the gun went off.

My projection is he will run 9.96 by Olympic Trials and make the finals. Possibly on the mile relay team as an alternate. But, I could be wrong....he could do much better :)
01/30/2012 10:19:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The 23.89 puts Shayla 3rd All-time among Floridians. Erica Whipple went 23.78 in 2001: http://www.nationalscholastic.org/files/NBIN_All_Time.pdf
The 23.89 puts Shayla 3rd All-time among Floridians. Erica Whipple went 23.78 in 2001:

http://www.nationalscholastic.org/files/NBIN_All_Time.pdf
01/30/2012 12:41:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=ubiQuitous1] Possibly on the mile relay team as an alternate.[/quote] @ubiQuitous1 I think you mean the 4 x 100? Not that he couldn't run a 400, but..... It will be interesting to see the current high school record holder (Jeff Demps) run against Bracy, who may break that record, at the Trials.
biQuitous1 wrote:

Possibly on the mile relay team as an alternate.

@ubiQuitous1 I think you mean the 4 x 100? Not that he couldn't run a 400, but.....

It will be interesting to see the current high school record holder (Jeff Demps) run against Bracy, who may break that record, at the Trials.
01/30/2012 12:47:30 PM
User
@ubiQuitous1 It certainly was a great start. It's too bad electronic starting blocks aren't used most often because reaction times are a fun stat. He was probably very, very close to the .1 seconds limit.
@ubiQuitous1 It certainly was a great start. It's too bad electronic starting blocks aren't used most often because reaction times are a fun stat. He was probably very, very close to the .1 seconds limit.
01/30/2012 1:09:53 PM
Coach
What is the .1 limit?
What is the .1 limit?
01/30/2012 1:25:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
.1 is the allowed time from gun to getting off blocks. Research has shown faster than that is anticipating the gun, which is what he did. It would have been a false start at Olympic trials. People assume it does not take time for the smoke to be seen. Either way, I'm glad he's going to FSU and believe he will beat Demps.
.1 is the allowed time from gun to getting off blocks. Research has shown faster than that is anticipating the gun, which is what he did. It would have been a false start at Olympic trials. People assume it does not take time for the smoke to be seen. Either way, I'm glad he's going to FSU and believe he will beat Demps.
01/30/2012 1:43:26 PM
Coach
Where is this in the rule book? and can a starter or assistant starter override the electronic system?
Where is this in the rule book? and can a starter or assistant starter override the electronic system?
01/30/2012 1:53:42 PM
User
[quote=CMA75]Where is this in the rule book? and can a starter or assistant starter override the electronic system?[/quote] @CMA75 Starting blocks with the sensors are used at meets like USATF Indoor/Outdoor Championships (the professional level), Diamond League meets and other big time events and no, a starter can not over rule the sensors.
CMA75 wrote:

@CMA75 Starting blocks with the sensors are used at meets like USATF Indoor/Outdoor Championships (the professional level), Diamond League meets and other big time events and no, a starter can not over rule the sensors.
01/30/2012 2:22:58 PM
User
Too close to call.
Too close to call.
01/30/2012 2:23:53 PM
Coach
No rule.... it is not in any of the books highschool, ncaa, usatf, iaaf and starter and backup starter and starter referee( new position) can override the system.... it happened 2 olympics ago.........if you look at the video, he was at least 70 meters from the finish..... since sound travels at 343m/sec and he moved at the same time as the sound was recorded, my math says that his reaction time is .2 seconds. Hey this is fun.....
No rule.... it is not in any of the books highschool, ncaa, usatf, iaaf and starter and backup starter and starter referee( new position) can override the system.... it happened 2 olympics ago.........if you look at the video, he was at least 70 meters from the finish..... since sound travels at 343m/sec and he moved at the same time as the sound was recorded, my math says that his reaction time is .2 seconds. Hey this is fun.....
01/30/2012 3:18:44 PM
User
@CMA75 What event from Athens are you referring to? Anyways, here's the literature from the IAAF: 2. In competitions held under Rules 1.1(a), (b), (c) and (f) and for any performances submitted for ratification as a World Record, the starting blocks shall be linked to an IAAF approved false start control apparatus. The Starter and/or an assigned Recaller shall wear headphones in order to clearly hear the acoustic signal emitted when the apparatus detects a false start (i.e. when reaction time is less than 100/1000ths of a second). As soon as the Starter and/or an assigned Recaller hears the acoustic signal, and if the gun is fired, there shall be a recall and the Starter shall immediately examine the reaction times on the false start control apparatus in order to confirm which athlete(s) is/are responsible for the false start. This system is strongly recommended for all other competitions. Note: In addition, an automatic recall system, within the Rules, may also be used ... False Start 6. An athlete, after assuming a full and final set position, shall not commence his start until after receiving the report of the gun. If, in the judgement of the Starter or Recallers, he does so any earlier, it shall be deemed a false start. Note: When an IAAF approved false start control apparatus is in operation (see Rule 161.2 for operational details of equipment), the evidence of this equipment shall normally be accepted as conclusive by the Starter." http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/28/26/62826_PDF_English.pdf Anyways, I wasn't saying he falses started since you can't make that judgement based on a shaky video from the other of the building. I'm just curious about how close he was to the accepted limits (when the equipment is used). Marvin's got a fantastic/judgement for the gun which translates nicely to the football field, too :)
@CMA75 What event from Athens are you referring to?

Anyways, here's the literature from the IAAF:

2. In competitions held under Rules 1.1(a), (b), (c) and (f) and for any
performances submitted for ratification as a World Record, the
starting blocks shall be linked to an IAAF approved false start control
apparatus. The Starter and/or an assigned Recaller shall wear
headphones in order to clearly hear the acoustic signal emitted when
the apparatus detects a false start (i.e. when reaction time is less than
100/1000ths of a second). As soon as the Starter and/or an assigned
Recaller hears the acoustic signal, and if the gun is fired, there shall
be a recall and the Starter shall immediately examine the reaction
times on the false start control apparatus in order to confirm which
athlete(s) is/are responsible for the false start. This system is strongly
recommended for all other competitions.
Note: In addition, an automatic recall system, within the Rules, may
also be used

False Start
6. An athlete, after assuming a full and final set position, shall not
commence his start until after receiving the report of the gun. If, in the
judgement of the Starter or Recallers, he does so any earlier, it shall
be deemed a false start.
Note: When an IAAF approved false start control apparatus is in
operation (see Rule 161.2 for operational details of equipment), the
evidence of this equipment shall normally be accepted as conclusive
by the Starter."

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/28/26/62826_PDF_English.pdf

Anyways, I wasn't saying he falses started since you can't make that judgement based on a shaky video from the other of the building. I'm just curious about how close he was to the accepted limits (when the equipment is used). Marvin's got a fantastic/judgement for the gun which translates nicely to the football field, too :)
01/30/2012 4:47:24 PM
Coach
As said the starter still controls if the start is good or not and can override the system.....a runner may shift his/her weight slightly after the sensor was set, which will set the sensors off and that would not be deemed as a false start. I have used the system before and it takes practice to know when you can fire the gun. It depends when the system is activated. We had a girl in the east regionals hurdles have a reaction time of .09 and it was a good... great start. Most of them were about .15 and up. Sometime the runners get lucky and guess when the gun is going off. I would like to see some of the football players who say they run a 4.3 40 run that under electronic timming.
As said the starter still controls if the start is good or not and can override the system.....a runner may shift his/her weight slightly after the sensor was set, which will set the sensors off and that would not be deemed as a false start. I have used the system before and it takes practice to know when you can fire the gun. It depends when the system is activated. We had a girl in the east regionals hurdles have a reaction time of .09 and it was a good... great start. Most of them were about .15 and up. Sometime the runners get lucky and guess when the gun is going off. I would like to see some of the football players who say they run a 4.3 40 run that under electronic timming.
01/30/2012 7:54:59 PM
Coach
[quote=jamfsu].1 is the allowed time from gun to getting off blocks. Research has shown faster than that is anticipating the gun, which is what he did. It would have been a false start at Olympic trials.[/quote] You, of course, have no idea if he anticipated the gun, nor do you know that it would have been a False Start at the Oly Trials. I do agree that he would have been close to the .10 allowable, but he may be just that fast.
jamfsu wrote:
.1 is the allowed time from gun to getting off blocks. Research has shown faster than that is anticipating the gun, which is what he did. It would have been a false start at Olympic trials.

You, of course, have no idea if he anticipated the gun, nor do you know that it would have been a False Start at the Oly Trials. I do agree that he would have been close to the .10 allowable, but he may be just that fast.
01/30/2012 7:58:12 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@gpc3 Let me comment since I was there. First of all Bracy obviously is a beast. I was down at the finish shooting the video and I knew he got out quick but I wasn't sure. I watched the video several times and I actually watched it with one of the officials off to the site. Both of us said that the start and timing was about as perfect as you can get. The other factor was his initial drive phase out of the block was so much better than everyone else's he was a good bit ahead out of the blocks. It was just a perfectly executed start.
@gpc3 Let me comment since I was there. First of all Bracy obviously is a beast. I was down at the finish shooting the video and I knew he got out quick but I wasn't sure. I watched the video several times and I actually watched it with one of the officials off to the site. Both of us said that the start and timing was about as perfect as you can get. The other factor was his initial drive phase out of the block was so much better than everyone else's he was a good bit ahead out of the blocks. It was just a perfectly executed start.
01/30/2012 8:08:54 PM
Coach
[quote=TGrasley]@gpc3 Let me comment since I was there. First of all Bracy obviously is a beast. I was down at the finish shooting the video and I knew he got out quick but I wasn't sure. I watched the video several times and I actually watched it with one of the officials off to the site. Both of us said that the start and timing was about as perfect as you can get. The other factor was his initial drive phase out of the block was so much better than everyone else's he was a good bit ahead out of the blocks. It was just a perfectly executed start.[/quote] Agreed!
TGrasley wrote:

Agreed!
01/30/2012 9:13:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
TGrasley @gpc3 Let me comment since I was there. First of all Bracy obviously is a beast. I was down at the finish shooting the video and I knew he got out quick but I wasn't sure. I watched the video several times and I actually watched it with one of the officials off to the site. Both of us said that the start and timing was about as perfect as you can get. The other factor was his initial drive phase out of the block was so much better than everyone else's he was a good bit ahead out of the blocks. It was just a perfectly executed start. Enough Said, I too totally agree
TGrasley

Enough Said, I too totally agree

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.