Thursday weather and Florida Relays
04/03/2013 11:35:09 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Any idea what will happen if weather on Thursday Night is as bad as it is forecast to be? What would be contingency plan for those races if they were unable to be run?
Any idea what will happen if weather on Thursday Night is as bad as it is forecast to be? What would be contingency plan for those races if they were unable to be run?
04/03/2013 12:25:11 PM
User
have been wondering the same. would Thursday running events be cancelled all together, or might they be pushed off by a day? crossing my fingers that the weather people have it all wrong, and will only be a spring shower.
have been wondering the same.
would Thursday running events be cancelled all together, or might they be pushed off by a day?

crossing my fingers that the weather people have it all wrong, and will only be a spring shower.
04/03/2013 3:24:23 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
It would be nice to have some idea.
It would be nice to have some idea.
04/03/2013 4:34:34 PM
User
A contingency plan has been established in the event the weather causes us not to be able to get the running events in on Thursday.
A contingency plan has been established in the event the weather causes us not to be able to get the running events in on Thursday.
04/03/2013 5:09:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=UFGators]A contingency plan has been established in the event the weather causes us not to be able to get the running events in on Thursday.[/quote] @UFGators Please share considering forcast for tomorrow PM.
UFGators wrote:

@UFGators
Please share considering forcast for tomorrow PM.
04/03/2013 5:21:37 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=UFGators]A contingency plan has been established in the event the weather causes us not to be able to get the running events in on Thursday.[/quote] @UFGators That's good news. What is it? Like many, I'm travelling from a long distance, and would love to know that if Thursday is a rainout whether and when those events would be rerun. I think the forecast calls for better weather the rest of the meet. I really appreciate your responding to this thread and getting out front on this.
UFGators wrote:

@UFGators That's good news. What is it? Like many, I'm travelling from a long distance, and would love to know that if Thursday is a rainout whether and when those events would be rerun. I think the forecast calls for better weather the rest of the meet. I really appreciate your responding to this thread and getting out front on this.
04/03/2013 6:43:36 PM
Coach
@UFGators can you tell us what the action plan is. i have a lot of high school parent who ant to know before they travel
@UFGators can you tell us what the action plan is. i have a lot of high school parent who ant to know before they travel
04/03/2013 7:26:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Can SOMEONE from the UF Coaching staff post ANY info on the running events that are happening between 5pm and 9pm if the weather does not permit for us to compete?!?! Currently as of 7:30pm today the weather between 5pm and 9pm has a 90% chance of rain. I never knew the percent scale for rain went up that high.. Like stated before many are traveling over 4hours to get to the meet and have several parents and athletes going so we just want to know what the "back-up" plan is.. Thanks!!
Can SOMEONE from the UF Coaching staff post ANY info on the running events that are happening between 5pm and 9pm if the weather does not permit for us to compete?!?!

Currently as of 7:30pm today the weather between 5pm and 9pm has a 90% chance of rain. I never knew the percent scale for rain went up that high..

Like stated before many are traveling over 4hours to get to the meet and have several parents and athletes going so we just want to know what the "back-up" plan is.. Thanks!!
04/03/2013 7:32:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Heat sheets are posted just need to know if the kids that we have running tomorrow are really running tomorrow
Heat sheets are posted just need to know if the kids that we have running tomorrow are really running tomorrow
04/03/2013 7:59:38 PM
Power User
@UFGators Please detail those plans ASAP. There are a lot of us that will be traveling distance with athletes prepared to run Thurs. evening and need as much advance notice as possible. Thanks! ~Twangster
@UFGators Please detail those plans ASAP. There are a lot of us that will be traveling distance with athletes prepared to run Thurs. evening and need as much advance notice as possible. Thanks!

~Twangster
04/03/2013 8:50:31 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I've reached out to UF for a comment about the plans... I will post as soon as I know anything.
I've reached out to UF for a comment about the plans... I will post as soon as I know anything.
04/03/2013 9:04:14 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I will do an article with full plan tonight, but basically they are going to get whatever they can in tomorrow, even if firing a gun after 9PM. What they can not they will make up in morning and gaps and whenever over next two days
I will do an article with full plan tonight, but basically they are going to get whatever they can in tomorrow, even if firing a gun after 9PM. What they can not they will make up in morning and gaps and whenever over next two days
04/03/2013 9:14:59 PM
User
From Jan. 1-Apr. 2 - 92 days - Gainesville has had 2.95" of rain. We could have more than that in the next day and a half. The weather gods clearly are not Track fans.
From Jan. 1-Apr. 2 - 92 days - Gainesville has had 2.95" of rain. We could have more than that in the next day and a half. The weather gods clearly are not Track fans.
04/03/2013 9:29:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@jason That makes it tough if you are only going up there for 1 day and not the whole weekend. We will have to take a chance that we can get the races in as scheduled on Thursday and if not then drive hours for nothing. Has the possibility of doing it Sat morning been mentioned? Think there are no running events until noon Sat
@jason
That makes it tough if you are only going up there for 1 day and not the whole weekend. We will have to take a chance that we can get the races in as scheduled on Thursday and if not then drive hours for nothing. Has the possibility of doing it Sat morning been mentioned? Think there are no running events until noon Sat
04/03/2013 9:46:10 PM
Power User
[quote=jason]even if firing a gun after 9PM.[/quote] @jason They're fired off the gun after Midnight before, so 9PM would be heavenly in comparison! O:-)
jason wrote:
even if firing a gun after 9PM.

@jason They're fired off the gun after Midnight before, so 9PM would be heavenly in comparison!
04/03/2013 9:56:30 PM
Power User
We do run outdoors.......... I am in no way associated with this event other than being a proud alumni. This may sound harsh but the distance one travels to a meet they choose to attend is not really an issue for the meet host to worry about. Sounds like a plan is in place IF weather is an issue. I have been to very few meets that change their schedule before weather hits. Most try to get the events in and then adapt and fit stuff in as they have time. That being said, I hope the rain waits till overnight or comes early tomorrow so we can have a great Relays weekend.
We do run outdoors..........

I am in no way associated with this event other than being a proud alumni.

This may sound harsh but the distance one travels to a meet they choose to attend is not really an issue for the meet host to worry about. Sounds like a plan is in place IF weather is an issue. I have been to very few meets that change their schedule before weather hits. Most try to get the events in and then adapt and fit stuff in as they have time.

That being said, I hope the rain waits till overnight or comes early tomorrow so we can have a great Relays weekend.
04/03/2013 10:26:07 PM
User
@Halfmiletiming Correct. They are not going to make any call until tomorrow afternoon. I will keep everyone posted via updates from UF. They will keep in contact with me about it. If possible they will get things in tomorrow. I know some people would rather them just make the call now and put it all Friday or Saturday for planning purposes.... and at least one coach I talked to tonight already cancelled the trip.... but they are going to still try to do whatever they can to get them off Thursday night. We'll see how mother nature cooperates.
@Halfmiletiming Correct. They are not going to make any call until tomorrow afternoon. I will keep everyone posted via updates from UF. They will keep in contact with me about it. If possible they will get things in tomorrow.

I know some people would rather them just make the call now and put it all Friday or Saturday for planning purposes.... and at least one coach I talked to tonight already cancelled the trip.... but they are going to still try to do whatever they can to get them off Thursday night. We'll see how mother nature cooperates.
04/04/2013 7:24:44 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As of 7:30am this morning the chances of thunder storms are WAY less then they posted last night. It looks like we might get hit with heavy rain until 5pm.. Way better then 9pm.. Im sure some races might be slightly delayed but I think we can get everything in BEFORE 10pm.. Very doable. I hope everyone a safe Trip..
As of 7:30am this morning the chances of thunder storms are WAY less then they posted last night. It looks like we might get hit with heavy rain until 5pm.. Way better then 9pm.. Im sure some races might be slightly delayed but I think we can get everything in BEFORE 10pm.. Very doable.

I hope everyone a safe Trip..
04/04/2013 8:21:52 AM
User
Where do you park at this meet if the lot at the track is full? By the football field?
Where do you park at this meet if the lot at the track is full? By the football field?
04/04/2013 8:45:13 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I appreciate the updates. Thanks Jason-- and UF. Hopefully there is an efficient way to get this information to people affected.
I appreciate the updates. Thanks Jason-- and UF. Hopefully there is an efficient way to get this information to people affected.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.