Indoor track
05/19/2013 9:00:32 PM
User
I know it's far out ,but next year is my senior year and I would like to run indoor track between xc season and out door track however my school doesn't have indoor track team , how do I go about competing and find meets ?
I know it's far out ,but next year is my senior year and I would like to run indoor track between xc season and out door track however my school doesn't have indoor track team , how do I go about competing and find meets ?
05/20/2013 10:45:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only indoor meet in florida is the Jimmy Carnes meet in Gainesville that Scott Peters promotes in January. Anyone can run, it is age group. It is a super meet and lots of fun. Scott does a great job and the collisium is outstanding. rumor has it that it will only be there one more year as they are putting box seats for basketball where the track is now.
The only indoor meet in florida is the Jimmy Carnes meet in Gainesville
that Scott Peters promotes in January. Anyone can run, it is age group.
It is a super meet and lots of fun. Scott does a great job and the collisium
is outstanding. rumor has it that it will only be there one more year as
they are putting box seats for basketball where the track is now.
05/20/2013 11:34:30 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@kheron1996 Besides Carnes... the closest indoor meets are in Birmingham or North Carolina. There are also some mostly small outdoor meets during the winter such as at NTC in Clermont or Embry Riddle. In the Bahamas they start track first week in January. So you could get a cheap short flight and hotel there to compete also. Or travel further north for indoor.
@kheron1996 Besides Carnes... the closest indoor meets are in Birmingham or North Carolina. There are also some mostly small outdoor meets during the winter such as at NTC in Clermont or Embry Riddle. In the Bahamas they start track first week in January. So you could get a cheap short flight and hotel there to compete also. Or travel further north for indoor.
05/20/2013 8:54:47 PM
User
Any idea what the UF track team would use for indoor training if the basketball facility is converted? That does not seem like something Jeremy Foley would do without working out something for track.
Any idea what the UF track team would use for indoor training if the basketball facility is converted? That does not seem like something Jeremy Foley would do without working out something for track.
05/21/2013 9:52:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Terminator, First of all, understand that it is Gainesville, Florida. The day of the meet it is 70 degrees outside. Second, we are talking basketball versus Track. In dollars and sense we are talking about the have and have-nots. Basketball probably brings in 20 times more revenue than track. And lastly, for some reason Florida only has one, maybe two meets a season. It's hard to justify having that facility for just a couple of meets. Unfortunatley, not everyone has the same interest as you and me in track. It is "stick and ball" sports that rule this country. Go ahead, add them up.:`-(
Terminator,
First of all, understand that it is Gainesville, Florida. The day of the meet it is 70 degrees outside.
Second, we are talking basketball versus Track. In dollars and sense we are talking about the have and have-nots.
Basketball probably brings in 20 times more revenue than track. And lastly, for some reason Florida only
has one, maybe two meets a season. It's hard to justify having that facility for just a couple of meets. Unfortunatley,
not everyone has the same interest as you and me in track. It is "stick and ball" sports that rule this
country. Go ahead, add them up.
05/21/2013 12:32:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Also, unless things have changed since I ran at UF, we never once did any kind of workout or real training on the indoor track. It was generally covered up most of the time. We might go in there the day before a home indoor meet to do a warmup or a few starts, but that's about it. It's Florida. We train outside.
Also, unless things have changed since I ran at UF, we never once did any kind of workout or real training on the indoor track. It was generally covered up most of the time. We might go in there the day before a home indoor meet to do a warmup or a few starts, but that's about it. It's Florida. We train outside.
05/21/2013 2:05:10 PM
User
I understand that the weather is usually pretty good in Gainesville, FL even in the winter (in fact, many people feel that the weather is better for running in the winter than the summer). I thought that since the UF team has been so competitive indoors since Coach Holloway took over that they were at least doing some indoor workouts to help the sprinters with the turns, etc. I agree that they don't really need to hold any indoor meets in Gainesville but I thought that they at least worked out indoors to acclimate to a whole different atmosphere. No doubt, the basketball team is on a tear and deserves the $50 million upgrade and if the track team is not using it then it is pretty much a slam dunk. Basketball recruits really like those great facilities!
I understand that the weather is usually pretty good in Gainesville, FL even in the winter (in fact, many people feel that the weather is better for running in the winter than the summer). I thought that since the UF team has been so competitive indoors since Coach Holloway took over that they were at least doing some indoor workouts to help the sprinters with the turns, etc.

I agree that they don't really need to hold any indoor meets in Gainesville but I thought that they at least worked out indoors to acclimate to a whole different atmosphere.

No doubt, the basketball team is on a tear and deserves the $50 million upgrade and if the track team is not using it then it is pretty much a slam dunk. Basketball recruits really like those great facilities!
05/21/2013 2:56:42 PM
Coach
[quote=jason]There are also some mostly small outdoor meets during the winter such as at NTC in Clermont or Embry Riddle.[/quote] There's the key for Florida preps to really get a step ahead of their northern peers who are competing in the winter. If we can get some good outdoor 'open/club' meets during Dec/Jan we can hit the season running (track pun!).
jason wrote:
There are also some mostly small outdoor meets during the winter such as at NTC in Clermont or Embry Riddle.

There's the key for Florida preps to really get a step ahead of their northern peers who are competing in the winter. If we can get some good outdoor 'open/club' meets during Dec/Jan we can hit the season running (track pun!).
05/22/2013 8:51:02 AM
Power User
I have also heard the rumors UF is thinking of reconfiguring the O center eliminating the track (the only one in the state) which I think would be a big mistake. Not that it is anything to compare to Arkansas or Texas A&M's facilities but it does give the state of Florida, a track & field rich state, a place to compete without the travel expense. Consider this, in the last ten years of Men's NCAA D1 indoor T&F UF won 3 championships and placed 2nd 4 times. FSU with no indoor facility, has two 2nd place finishes. By comparison to outdoor UF in the same time period has 1 championship and 3 runner ups, but FSU has 3 firsts and 1 2nd. My two cents ~Twangster
I have also heard the rumors UF is thinking of reconfiguring the O center eliminating the track (the only one in the state) which I think would be a big mistake. Not that it is anything to compare to Arkansas or Texas A&M's facilities but it does give the state of Florida, a track & field rich state, a place to compete without the travel expense.

Consider this, in the last ten years of Men's NCAA D1 indoor T&F UF won 3 championships and placed 2nd 4 times. FSU with no indoor facility, has two 2nd place finishes. By comparison to outdoor UF in the same time period has 1 championship and 3 runner ups, but FSU has 3 firsts and 1 2nd.

My two cents
~Twangster

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.