Festus Sectional Course map
10/18/2015 12:33:49 PM
Power User
Not spot on but I thought some of you would like a look. http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=570949
Not spot on but I thought some of you would like a look.

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=570949
10/30/2015 8:43:13 AM
User
@bantazmo
10/30/2015 8:45:31 AM
User
Looking at the map there seem to be a number of pavement crossings.
10/30/2015 9:19:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kcolter Kids run downhill on an asphalt road for 90 meters in the first 230 meters of the race. Should be fun wearing spikes on this surface if we get the rain forecasted. After that opening, they cross a parking lot twice and a road 6 more times.
@kcolter Kids run downhill on an asphalt road for 90 meters in the first 230 meters of the race. Should be fun wearing spikes on this surface if we get the rain forecasted. After that opening, they cross a parking lot twice and a road 6 more times.
10/30/2015 9:27:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=kcolter]Looking at the map there seem to be a number of pavement crossings.[/quote] @kcolter There are at least 10 that I can think of off of the top of my head. On that map at the top, the course goes behind the tree line and then up a steep muddy hill. There are some dangers on this course as run.
kcolter wrote:

@kcolter

There are at least 10 that I can think of off of the top of my head. On that map at the top, the course goes behind the tree line and then up a steep muddy hill. There are some dangers on this course as run.
10/30/2015 9:33:12 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Here is an easier map to read. I based this off of the map that I was given by the Festus coach. The course is a bit confusing even when you are there walking it. http://northwesttrack.org/cross%20country/Files/Course%20Maps/West-City-Park-Festus.jpg With the rain predicted tomorrow, I see some serious hazards on the course. The downhill on pavement right after the start and the steep hill that is muddy coming up from the back field before the 2 mile mark are going to be very dicey. I’m worried about people sliding and falling on the first downhill and injuring themselves and others. On that back hill the path up the hill was firm, but mud yesterday, with the rain forecast it could turn to slop, especially after a few races. It may become a real bar to get up.
Here is an easier map to read. I based this off of the map that I was given by the Festus coach. The course is a bit confusing even when you are there walking it.

With the rain predicted tomorrow, I see some serious hazards on the course. The downhill on pavement right after the start and the steep hill that is muddy coming up from the back field before the 2 mile mark are going to be very dicey. I'm worried about people sliding and falling on the first downhill and injuring themselves and others. On that back hill the path up the hill was firm, but mud yesterday, with the rain forecast it could turn to slop, especially after a few races. It may become a real bar to get up.
10/30/2015 12:23:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think that if our district/sectioanl can have many course marshals that have run this course before and Festus and Herculaneum parents that know this course well ,actually be at all of the turns and crossings, and vocally making sure that no one takes a wrong turn, I think that will really help put the runners' (and coaches) mind at ease. Please make sure that the parents that are put out on the turns are proactive in giving the correct orders,(early) etc. so that runners do not go the wrong way. Just my two cents worth....since I don't think there is enough time to change a course. Good luck to all of the qualifiers!!
I think that if our district/sectioanl can have many course marshals that have run this course before and Festus and Herculaneum parents that know this course well ,actually be at all of the turns and crossings, and vocally making sure that no one takes a wrong turn, I think that will really help put the runners' (and coaches) mind at ease. Please make sure that the parents that are put out on the turns are proactive in giving the correct orders,(early) etc. so that runners do not go the wrong way.
Just my two cents worth....since I don't think there is enough time to change a course. Good luck to all of the qualifiers!!
10/30/2015 1:07:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We went and ran it on Tuesday. It was cold and rainy, and we were the only people in the park, but it was marked well enough that we knew where to go fairly easily. We have gotten more rain since then though, so that may be the issue.
We went and ran it on Tuesday. It was cold and rainy, and we were the only people in the park, but it was marked well enough that we knew where to go fairly easily. We have gotten more rain since then though, so that may be the issue.
10/30/2015 2:11:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I took our kids up to tour the course yesterday, and we had a lot of difficulty following the course, but we did eventually figure it out. I am very concerned about the asphalt downhill just 200m into the race. If we get the rain that they are calling for I think that could be a bit treacherous in spikes. Coming back around on that loop I thought was also a bit iffy as the runners basically have to choose between running on very sandy footing or the asphalt. The rain will cause some of the hills to become slick to get up, but more of a concern to me was the trail through the woods that each race will run on 3 times. By the time the girls' race takes place that trail will have been run on 9 times. It could be a sloppy mess. I like to think of myself as a cross-country "purist" so most of that could maybe be argued "well...this is cross-country", but I really do not like the asphalt downhill at the beginning especially when the field will be really packed up.
I took our kids up to tour the course yesterday, and we had a lot of difficulty following the course, but we did eventually figure it out. I am very concerned about the asphalt downhill just 200m into the race. If we get the rain that they are calling for I think that could be a bit treacherous in spikes. Coming back around on that loop I thought was also a bit iffy as the runners basically have to choose between running on very sandy footing or the asphalt. The rain will cause some of the hills to become slick to get up, but more of a concern to me was the trail through the woods that each race will run on 3 times. By the time the girls' race takes place that trail will have been run on 9 times. It could be a sloppy mess. I like to think of myself as a cross-country "purist" so most of that could maybe be argued "well...this is cross-country", but I really do not like the asphalt downhill at the beginning especially when the field will be really packed up.
10/30/2015 5:56:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachstove I just got back from the course. Our kids were there on Wed. and 2 of our coaches went yesterday and today. Lots of teams there yesterday and very quiet today. The course is all marked and easy to follow today. Leafs have been blown away. I do have some concerns about the downhill road section. Agree with Coach Stove, the path through the woods could become a mess by the time the class 4 girls run, if we get the rain. Going downhill and negotiating the turn at the bottom in mud could be a problem. The hill coming out of the lower field will be interesting to see should we get rain. If the rain holds off, I think the only problems could be found in the 1st 700 meters. There is some concern that if we get enough water, it could get to a point where kids can't run anymore and are forced to walk and slip and slide up that back hill. At that point it ceases to be cross country. I think there are adaptations that can be made should it get that bad. Hoping for dry weather.
@coachstove I just got back from the course. Our kids were there on Wed. and 2 of our coaches went yesterday and today. Lots of teams there yesterday and very quiet today. The course is all marked and easy to follow today. Leafs have been blown away. I do have some concerns about the downhill road section. Agree with Coach Stove, the path through the woods could become a mess by the time the class 4 girls run, if we get the rain. Going downhill and negotiating the turn at the bottom in mud could be a problem. The hill coming out of the lower field will be interesting to see should we get rain. If the rain holds off, I think the only problems could be found in the 1st 700 meters. There is some concern that if we get enough water, it could get to a point where kids can't run anymore and are forced to walk and slip and slide up that back hill. At that point it ceases to be cross country. I think there are adaptations that can be made should it get that bad. Hoping for dry weather.
10/30/2015 6:40:55 PM
Power User
Courses have been adjusted due to conditions. Due to weather we changed ours and didn't run in the woods, Jackson in 09 had lots of rain and some changes where made correct Andrea? Coach Cary had to make adjustments at jb park in the early 2000s. Even the state course was adjusted due to weather and the course safety a handful of years ago. The concern is significant enough about the start I think a games committee needs to consider making an adjustment. I not sure how anyone could be mad about doing something to be cautious with kid's safety in mind. I agree xc is not grass track. However, when coaches much my senior express deep concern it worries me even more so when a simple couple of laps around the field where the course begins could cover the distance and avoid a weather related dangerous situation. I was made aware numerous coaches who were very frustrated with the lack of markings yesterday.
Courses have been adjusted due to conditions. Due to weather we changed ours and didn't run in the woods, Jackson in 09 had lots of rain and some changes where made correct Andrea? Coach Cary had to make adjustments at jb park in the early 2000s. Even the state course was adjusted due to weather and the course safety a handful of years ago. The concern is significant enough about the start I think a games committee needs to consider making an adjustment. I not sure how anyone could be mad about doing something to be cautious with kid's safety in mind. I agree xc is not grass track. However, when coaches much my senior express deep concern it worries me even more so when a simple couple of laps around the field where the course begins could cover the distance and avoid a weather related dangerous situation. I was made aware numerous coaches who were very frustrated with the lack of markings yesterday.
10/30/2015 6:50:07 PM
Coach
The course is well marked, I was there today. With any rain and the already rough trails and short steep hills this has the making for controversial racing. Hopefully the right things are done for the athletes in each race. My recommendation for the future is courses for District and Sectional Meets are evaluated for being weather friendly and with wide trails and minimal to no concrete/asphalt. A course is evaluated on safety, difficulty, spectator friendly, and last location.
The course is well marked, I was there today. With any rain and the already rough trails and short steep hills this has the making for controversial racing. Hopefully the right things are done for the athletes in each race.

My recommendation for the future is courses for District and Sectional Meets are evaluated for being weather friendly and with wide trails and minimal to no concrete/asphalt. A course is evaluated on safety, difficulty, spectator friendly, and last location.
10/30/2015 8:49:08 PM
Coach
This is the same course that hosts the Bowles invitational and the JCAA meet every year for the past 20+ years. There are races that have 150+ middle school kids racing. i think 80 HSers should be able to suck it up. It was also the host for many class 3 District meets in past years. It is the home course of Festus High school and has been for all those years. I would say that it has worked pretty good for those teams all these years. I would put that conference, and their successes, having to come through that course every year against anything anyone else can put up. The State Association connected Coach Davis and asked him and Herculaneum to step up and host the meet. Coach Davis has worked his rear end off trying to get the course ready to run. I think some of the complainers need to think back to the days when JB was not manicured to perfection and how about the mud fest at Big Driver for districts a few years ago. There is nothing that can be done about the weather and the condition of the course if weather turns on us. One thing for sure is, it will be the same for everyone that runs on it. Just be careful going down the hill at the 200-250 meter mark and then run like hell after that. We all know ( or should know) that a XC race is never won or lost in the first 250 meters. Now instead of ripping on this course and all the hard work that Coach Davis, his father Coach Steve Davis and the other Herculaneum coaches put into the course show up and run. I hope I did not offend anyone but I just needed to defend a great young coach that really should not need defending! And next year maybe the complainers can host the meet on some pristine grass track that they have spent instructional hours working on! I leave you with my favorite Cross Country/life quote "Don't be a person that LETt'S things happen TO you but be a person that MAKES things happen FOR you!" It's not what happens to you in life that counts it is how you react to it that counts!" Coach Kasten
This is the same course that hosts the Bowles invitational and the JCAA meet every year for the past 20+ years. There are races that have 150+ middle school kids racing. i think 80 HSers should be able to suck it up. It was also the host for many class 3 District meets in past years. It is the home course of Festus High school and has been for all those years. I would say that it has worked pretty good for those teams all these years. I would put that conference, and their successes, having to come through that course every year against anything anyone else can put up. The State Association connected Coach Davis and asked him and Herculaneum to step up and host the meet. Coach Davis has worked his rear end off trying to get the course ready to run. I think some of the complainers need to think back to the days when JB was not manicured to perfection and how about the mud fest at Big Driver for districts a few years ago. There is nothing that can be done about the weather and the condition of the course if weather turns on us. One thing for sure is, it will be the same for everyone that runs on it. Just be careful going down the hill at the 200-250 meter mark and then run like hell after that. We all know ( or should know) that a XC race is never won or lost in the first 250 meters.
Now instead of ripping on this course and all the hard work that Coach Davis, his father Coach Steve Davis and the other Herculaneum coaches put into the course show up and run.
I hope I did not offend anyone but I just needed to defend a great young coach that really should not need defending! And next year maybe the complainers can host the meet on some pristine grass track that they have spent instructional hours working on! I leave you with my favorite Cross Country/life quote "Don't be a person that LETt'S things happen TO you but be a person that MAKES things happen FOR you!" It's not what happens to you in life that counts it is how you react to it that counts!"
Coach Kasten
10/30/2015 8:56:12 PM
User
All I know is that my kid had a big grin on his face and said, "this could be epic"!! Good luck to all! Let the ponies run! I think it would be great if 30 years from now these kids could look back on this race and say, "oh hell yeah, I was there". :-]
All I know is that my kid had a big grin on his face and said, "this could be epic"!!

Good luck to all! Let the ponies run!

I think it would be great if 30 years from now these kids could look back on this race and say, "oh hell yeah, I was there".
10/30/2015 9:11:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JIMKASTEN Jim is, as always, correct. Always respect your elders. A quick MSHSAA 101 on district/sectional site selection. The ADs select the site for district meets and the MSHSAA office selects the sites for sectionals. That district site selection process came about due to the evil sport of basketball back in the 90s. Before that, the MSHSAA office did it and your concerns would have been taken into consideration. If a site is a combined sectional/district than the MSHSAA office chooses. Number one factor for site selection is who is willing to host in the footprint of where it needs to be hosted. I hosted at least a dozen district/sectional meets in TF and in CC and never once at my home site because MSHSAA does not like a 5 lane track or a 3 loop flat as a pancake course. If somebody is willing to step up in the footprint, more power to them. Weather will probably be crappy tomorrow and may be worse next weekend. That is part of it.
@JIMKASTEN
Jim is, as always, correct. Always respect your elders.
A quick MSHSAA 101 on district/sectional site selection. The ADs select the site for district meets and the MSHSAA office selects the sites for sectionals. That district site selection process came about due to the evil sport of basketball back in the 90s. Before that, the MSHSAA office did it and your concerns would have been taken into consideration. If a site is a combined sectional/district than the MSHSAA office chooses.
Number one factor for site selection is who is willing to host in the footprint of where it needs to be hosted.
I hosted at least a dozen district/sectional meets in TF and in CC and never once at my home site because MSHSAA does not like a 5 lane track or a 3 loop flat as a pancake course. If somebody is willing to step up in the footprint, more power to them.
Weather will probably be crappy tomorrow and may be worse next weekend. That is part of it.
10/30/2015 10:04:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JIMKASTEN Jim, Calm down. I haven't heard or read anyone attack either Coach Davis. There are legit concerns about portions of the course and they have been expressed. There are several things for you to consider. First of all most of the Class 4 coaches have never seen this course, so being confronted with a down hill run on an asphalt road just a little over 100m from the start, they are concerned. Why, because they haven't ever seen a race on this course, much less 20 years of experience of having watched it. They haven't seen how kids in spikes handle that hill on a road. I too was concerned when I first saw that hill. We had our girls run the hill in spikes the other day so we would know how safe they felt. At less than full speed, they were reasonably secure. How will they feel if that road is wet and it's still raining? I can't answer that and neither can most of the coaches who have kids in the Class 4 race. We don't know until it happens, and being concerned for you kids' safety is not an attack on anyone. It's the same response you or any coach should have if they were presented with a situation they have NEVER experienced. Look, I am well aware of the great teams the Herky and Festus have run on this course, but comparing the Festus-Bowles and the Jefferson County Meet to 80 Class 4 boys charging down that hill that early in the race, in the rain is not germane. I don't care how many middle school kids have run this course. It has nothing to do with nationally ranked high school boys flying down that hill, en-mass, in the rain and potentially in longer spikes due to the mess the rest of this course(or any course) could be according to the weather forecast. Most of the concerns are from lack of knowledge and not being able to follow the course prior to today. I understand why the host staff waited until today as it appeared to be an off day from school. That really didn't help coaches who planned to view the course earlier in the week and couldn't follow the original hand drawn map without painted lines. I'm not as intellectually challenged as many would think, yet I didn't fully understand where all of the loops on this course went until after the 4th visit. Yes I understood in general, but when a portion of the course had lines that didn't cross the road and did not show up on white gravel up a hill; it was an easy mistake. That's not an attack on anyone! It's just a fact of someone who hasn't seen a course. I can show people a magic trick and they can't understand how that worked. Then I show them and they are amazed that everyone can't see it. Same thing with having no idea how a course runs based on a hand drawing. Eventually, I had 4 different maps of the course and none of them matched exactly. When I was there today, it was painted and all of the things I had eventually put together over the previous visits proved correct. I talked with the elder/legend Coach Davis today and confirmed most of my questions. He has the course clearly marked, as I said above. Half miles, miles, 500m and each K marks are clearly marked. Today the course is in good shape and those of us who have not experienced a big and fast field going down that first hill as a pack, must wait to see if we had any reason for concern. While talking with Coach Davis today, we discussed the potential muddy hill coming out of the lower field. He said there have been times when they have not been able to run that lower field and up that potentially muddy hill because of wet conditions. So, it seems, it's not a question of "high school kids sucking it up", but rather a wet situation that is not safe or runnable. I was there on Wed. and know that a Parkway Central girl slipped and twisted/injured her ankle trying to jog up this hill. My girls told me that they were slipping so badly that they stopped and walked up the hill by using the edges, because the middle of the path was dangerously slippery. I don't know Coach Davis' son. But, I do know my son, your son, Coach Stoverink's son, Coach Warren's son, and I'm willing to bet he is every bit as qualified to coach and host a meet as any of those I mentioned. Nobody is attacking the Herky coaches, Jefferson County or, in fact anyone. They are confused about the course, concerned about their athletes safety (as they should be ,always), and worried about the potential weather conditions. To answer your question. I'm not offended by your post, but I'm trying to give you some info as to what the coaches I've talked with this week are concerned about. Hope you are not offended.
@JIMKASTEN Jim, Calm down. I haven't heard or read anyone attack either Coach Davis. There are legit concerns about portions of the course and they have been expressed. There are several things for you to consider. First of all most of the Class 4 coaches have never seen this course, so being confronted with a down hill run on an asphalt road just a little over 100m from the start, they are concerned. Why, because they haven't ever seen a race on this course, much less 20 years of experience of having watched it. They haven't seen how kids in spikes handle that hill on a road. I too was concerned when I first saw that hill. We had our girls run the hill in spikes the other day so we would know how safe they felt. At less than full speed, they were reasonably secure. How will they feel if that road is wet and it's still raining? I can't answer that and neither can most of the coaches who have kids in the Class 4 race. We don't know until it happens, and being concerned for you kids' safety is not an attack on anyone. It's the same response you or any coach should have if they were presented with a situation they have NEVER experienced.

Look, I am well aware of the great teams the Herky and Festus have run on this course, but comparing the Festus-Bowles and the Jefferson County Meet to 80 Class 4 boys charging down that hill that early in the race, in the rain is not germane. I don't care how many middle school kids have run this course. It has nothing to do with nationally ranked high school boys flying down that hill, en-mass, in the rain and potentially in longer spikes due to the mess the rest of this course(or any course) could be according to the weather forecast. Most of the concerns are from lack of knowledge and not being able to follow the course prior to today. I understand why the host staff waited until today as it appeared to be an off day from school. That really didn't help coaches who planned to view the course earlier in the week and couldn't follow the original hand drawn map without painted lines. I'm not as intellectually challenged as many would think, yet I didn't fully understand where all of the loops on this course went until after the 4th visit. Yes I understood in general, but when a portion of the course had lines that didn't cross the road and did not show up on white gravel up a hill; it was an easy mistake. That's not an attack on anyone! It's just a fact of someone who hasn't seen a course. I can show people a magic trick and they can't understand how that worked. Then I show them and they are amazed that everyone can't see it. Same thing with having no idea how a course runs based on a hand drawing. Eventually, I had 4 different maps of the course and none of them matched exactly.

When I was there today, it was painted and all of the things I had eventually put together over the previous visits proved correct. I talked with the elder/legend Coach Davis today and confirmed most of my questions. He has the course clearly marked, as I said above. Half miles, miles, 500m and each K marks are clearly marked. Today the course is in good shape and those of us who have not experienced a big and fast field going down that first hill as a pack, must wait to see if we had any reason for concern.

While talking with Coach Davis today, we discussed the potential muddy hill coming out of the lower field. He said there have been times when they have not been able to run that lower field and up that potentially muddy hill because of wet conditions. So, it seems, it's not a question of "high school kids sucking it up", but rather a wet situation that is not safe or runnable. I was there on Wed. and know that a Parkway Central girl slipped and twisted/injured her ankle trying to jog up this hill. My girls told me that they were slipping so badly that they stopped and walked up the hill by using the edges, because the middle of the path was dangerously slippery.

I don't know Coach Davis' son. But, I do know my son, your son, Coach Stoverink's son, Coach Warren's son, and I'm willing to bet he is every bit as qualified to coach and host a meet as any of those I mentioned. Nobody is attacking the Herky coaches, Jefferson County or, in fact anyone. They are confused about the course, concerned about their athletes safety (as they should be ,always), and worried about the potential weather conditions. To answer your question. I'm not offended by your post, but I'm trying to give you some info as to what the coaches I've talked with this week are concerned about. Hope you are not offended.
10/30/2015 10:12:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Hays]@JIMKASTEN Jim is, as always, correct. Always respect your elders. A quick MSHSAA 101 on district/sectional site selection. The ADs select the site for district meets and the MSHSAA office selects the sites for sectionals. That district site selection process came about due to the evil sport of basketball back in the 90s. Before that, the MSHSAA office did it and your concerns would have been taken into consideration. If a site is a combined sectional/district than the MSHSAA office chooses. Number one factor for site selection is who is willing to host in the footprint of where it needs to be hosted. I hosted at least a dozen district/sectional meets in TF and in CC and never once at my home site because MSHSAA does not like a 5 lane track or a 3 loop flat as a pancake course. If somebody is willing to step up in the footprint, more power to them. Weather will probably be crappy tomorrow and may be worse next weekend. That is part of it.[/quote] @Hays I have to say that this is one of my biggest pet peeves about our sport in the state of Missouri. The district/sectional selection process is anything but transparent and in my opinion is done poorly. Every year the coaches in the St. Louis area are calling each other trying to figure out where these meets will be held because none of us or our AD’s had heard anything. Then out of nowhere it pops up and no one knows why the sites were chosen. When I was on the advisory board and get requesting that this process become more transparent and we should know before the season where these meets are going to be held so that we can schedule accordingly instead of finding out once the season has begun. I can tell you that there are people willing to host over the years who have not been able to get a meet and then there are other schools who keep getting stuck with it and are tired of hosting. The whole process is terrible and needs to be revamped.
Hays wrote:
@JIMKASTEN
A quick MSHSAA 101 on district/sectional site selection. The ADs select the site for district meets and the MSHSAA office selects the sites for sectionals. That district site selection process came about due to the evil sport of basketball back in the 90s. Before that, the MSHSAA office did it and your concerns would have been taken into consideration. If a site is a combined sectional/district than the MSHSAA office chooses.
Number one factor for site selection is who is willing to host in the footprint of where it needs to be hosted.
I hosted at least a dozen district/sectional meets in TF and in CC and never once at my home site because MSHSAA does not like a 5 lane track or a 3 loop flat as a pancake course. If somebody is willing to step up in the footprint, more power to them.
Weather will probably be crappy tomorrow and may be worse next weekend. That is part of it.

@Hays

I have to say that this is one of my biggest pet peeves about our sport in the state of Missouri. The district/sectional selection process is anything but transparent and in my opinion is done poorly. Every year the coaches in the St. Louis area are calling each other trying to figure out where these meets will be held because none of us or our AD's had heard anything. Then out of nowhere it pops up and no one knows why the sites were chosen. When I was on the advisory board and get requesting that this process become more transparent and we should know before the season where these meets are going to be held so that we can schedule accordingly instead of finding out once the season has begun. I can tell you that there are people willing to host over the years who have not been able to get a meet and then there are other schools who keep getting stuck with it and are tired of hosting. The whole process is terrible and needs to be revamped.
10/30/2015 10:13:18 PM
Coach
No problem coach! I believe any team could have entered the Bowles meet as I believe Washington, Mehlville and Marquette have done over the years! So if the coaches had any concerns of seeing people run off that hill they should have showed up the third weekend of the season and ran on the course! A muddy hill could happen any where, sloppy conditions will happen all over the state tomorrow! So I don't know any other way to say it but time to "suck it up and run"! I am pretty sure that is all we can do at this point. Coach Kasten
No problem coach!
I believe any team could have entered the Bowles meet as I believe Washington, Mehlville and Marquette have done over the years! So if the coaches had any concerns of seeing people run off that hill they should have showed up the third weekend of the season and ran on the course! A muddy hill could happen any where, sloppy conditions will happen all over the state tomorrow! So I don't know any other way to say it but time to "suck it up and run"! I am pretty sure that is all we can do at this point.
Coach Kasten
10/30/2015 10:15:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Hays]@JIMKASTEN Jim is, as always, correct. Always respect your elders. A quick MSHSAA 101 on district/sectional site selection. The ADs select the site for district meets and the MSHSAA office selects the sites for sectionals. That district site selection process came about due to the evil sport of basketball back in the 90s. Before that, the MSHSAA office did it and your concerns would have been taken into consideration. If a site is a combined sectional/district than the MSHSAA office chooses. Number one factor for site selection is who is willing to host in the footprint of where it needs to be hosted. I hosted at least a dozen district/sectional meets in TF and in CC and never once at my home site because MSHSAA does not like a 5 lane track or a 3 loop flat as a pancake course. If somebody is willing to step up in the footprint, more power to them. Weather will probably be crappy tomorrow and may be worse next weekend. That is part of it.[/quote] @Hays Dean, you can check with Harvey, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't chosen by the A.D.'s. I know NW Cedar Hill has talked about hosting in the past and (I think)rejected by MSHSAA. I'm pretty sure Harvey contacted Herky after the season had already begun. It seems, to my understanding, that the West City Park was the only usable venue available at that time. Coach Davis has done a good job of getting the course ready. MOST if the coaches at this Sectional have never seen or even heard of this course. Trying to find your way around the course, before today was very, very difficult. The hosts, nor anyone else, can control the weather. To suggest that's just the way it is, when it involves safety issues, without seeing the course, may be a tad short sighted.
Hays wrote:
@JIMKASTEN

@Hays Dean, you can check with Harvey, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't chosen by the A.D.'s. I know NW Cedar Hill has talked about hosting in the past and (I think)rejected by MSHSAA. I'm pretty sure Harvey contacted Herky after the season had already begun. It seems, to my understanding, that the West City Park was the only usable venue available at that time. Coach Davis has done a good job of getting the course ready. MOST if the coaches at this Sectional have never seen or even heard of this course. Trying to find your way around the course, before today was very, very difficult. The hosts, nor anyone else, can control the weather. To suggest that's just the way it is, when it involves safety issues, without seeing the course, may be a tad short sighted.
10/30/2015 10:16:37 PM
Coach
And it was not a day off of school! The school paid for a sub so that coach could be there. Hence the statement of "using instructional time".
And it was not a day off of school! The school paid for a sub so that coach could be there. Hence the statement of "using instructional time".

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.