Clarifying Issues at the State Meet - FHSAA
05/01/2017 9:26:14 AM
Coach
Good morning, All: Here's some clarification for all concerning the events order, ticketing, and parking. 1. Order of Events. The order of events will be 1A-4A Girls then 1A-4A Boys in all running events. The field events order is listed at the bottom half of meet schedule. http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/track-field/archives/2016-17/2017_finals_schedule.pdf 2. Online ticketing is available for spectators and parking. Spectator tickets are $9 online and then $12 cash only on the day of the meet. Gates open one hour prior to the first event each day. Please push this option to your constituents as it will make ingress to the venue more efficient and cheaper. https://gofan.co/app/school/FHSAA/Track-Field 3. Parking and Traffic. We still encourage teams and spectators to arrive early. Florida Highway Patrol is running the lights on 53rd entering into the venue. 4 lanes are open now at the entrance, as well. An additional lot has been added to the venue providing an additional 500 parking spots. We have worked very hard to improve the event on the logistical side and we are very hopeful that coaches, athletes, and spectators have a great experience this year. Please let us know if you have concerns or comments regarding the event over the next week and following weeks after the event. Good luck to all. Ed Thompson, MAA Director of Athletics Florida High School Athletic Association
Good morning, All:

Here's some clarification for all concerning the events order, ticketing, and parking.

1. Order of Events. The order of events will be 1A-4A Girls then 1A-4A Boys in all running events. The field events order is listed at the bottom half of meet schedule. http://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/track-field/archives/2016-17/2017_finals_schedule.pdf

2. Online ticketing is available for spectators and parking. Spectator tickets are $9 online and then $12 cash only on the day of the meet. Gates open one hour prior to the first event each day. Please push this option to your constituents as it will make ingress to the venue more efficient and cheaper. https://gofan.co/app/school/FHSAA/Track-Field

3. Parking and Traffic. We still encourage teams and spectators to arrive early. Florida Highway Patrol is running the lights on 53rd entering into the venue. 4 lanes are open now at the entrance, as well. An additional lot has been added to the venue providing an additional 500 parking spots.

We have worked very hard to improve the event on the logistical side and we are very hopeful that coaches, athletes, and spectators have a great experience this year. Please let us know if you have concerns or comments regarding the event over the next week and following weeks after the event. Good luck to all.

Ed Thompson, MAA
Director of Athletics
Florida High School Athletic Association
05/02/2017 8:17:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@edwardjthompson Morning. Thanks for the info. Just have a concern. Last year's state meet saw the sprinters/hurdlers running into strong headwinds. Are there any plans to have the sprinting events run in the opposite direction due to excessive headwinds?
@edwardjthompson Morning. Thanks for the info. Just have a concern. Last year's state meet saw the sprinters/hurdlers running into strong headwinds. Are there any plans to have the sprinting events run in the opposite direction due to excessive headwinds?
05/02/2017 12:12:48 PM
Coach
I have heard concerns about this issue and it was brought up at last year's advisory committee meeting. We will have one common finish line again this year. We understand the desire to have the best possible times, but also know that marks are not the most important end for this championship meet. To win a state title in the state of Florida speaks for itself. Additionally, a wind-aided time doesn't help an athlete's prospects any more than running into a headwind hurts, either. The goal of the state meet is to determine state champions. This is also a venue specific issue due the proximity to the Gulf and those breezy conditions will be ever present.
I have heard concerns about this issue and it was brought up at last year's advisory committee meeting. We will have one common finish line again this year. We understand the desire to have the best possible times, but also know that marks are not the most important end for this championship meet. To win a state title in the state of Florida speaks for itself. Additionally, a wind-aided time doesn't help an athlete's prospects any more than running into a headwind hurts, either. The goal of the state meet is to determine state champions. This is also a venue specific issue due the proximity to the Gulf and those breezy conditions will be ever present.
05/02/2017 12:19:12 PM
Coach
[quote=edwardjthompson]I have heard concerns about this issue and it was brought up at last year's advisory committee meeting. . . . We understand the desire to have the best possible times, but also know that marks are not the most important end for this championship meet.[/quote] Perhaps we can bring it up again. Athletes, coaches, parents and spectators really want to have the best marks they can at State and making that impossible is a bad 'marketing' ploy. Track and Field lives and dies on performances. We want Florida's State Championships results to be the best they can be, even if they ARE wind-aided. EDIT - Looking at last year's meeting minutes I see "Multiple straights used in 100M/110M races to accommodate athletes for windy conditions and time constraints—D. Dearing DD: have more than one camera set up. JV: obvious you have to run with the wind. ET: Coaches’ preference for an additional finish line is noted" I hope we're looking into this for this week's meet.
dwardjthompson wrote:
I have heard concerns about this issue and it was brought up at last year's advisory committee meeting. . . . We understand the desire to have the best possible times, but also know that marks are not the most important end for this championship meet.

Perhaps we can bring it up again. Athletes, coaches, parents and spectators really want to have the best marks they can at State and making that impossible is a bad 'marketing' ploy. Track and Field lives and dies on performances. We want Florida's State Championships results to be the best they can be, even if they ARE wind-aided.

EDIT - Looking at last year's meeting minutes I see

"Multiple straights used in 100M/110M races to accommodate athletes for windy conditions and
time constraints--D. Dearing
DD: have more than one camera set up.
JV: obvious you have to run with the wind.
ET: Coaches' preference for an additional finish line is noted"

I hope we're looking into this for this week's meet.
05/02/2017 12:45:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@edwardjthompson If it is a venue specific concern, shouldn't the decision be up to the Meet Director? I'm not sure how that is an Advisory Committee decision. We can "get it done" or "get it done right". My hope is that we always do what is best for the athletes.
@edwardjthompson

If it is a venue specific concern, shouldn't the decision be up to the Meet Director? I'm not sure how that is an Advisory Committee decision. We can "get it done" or "get it done right". My hope is that we always do what is best for the athletes.
05/02/2017 12:50:42 PM
Coach
It's a decision made by us and the games committee. It's a venue specific concern because conditions are almost always breezy.
It's a decision made by us and the games committee. It's a venue specific concern because conditions are almost always breezy.
05/02/2017 12:52:44 PM
Coach
[quote=southforkrunning]@edwardjthompson If it is a venue specific concern, shouldn't the decision be up to the Meet Director? I'm not sure how that is an Advisory Committee decision. We can "get it done" or "get it done right". My hope is that we always do what is best for the athletes.[/quote] @southforkrunning With regard to the Advisory Committee's opinion. We value their input greatly as they are the direct voice of the coaches in the state. While the decision isn't theirs officially to make as a committee, their contribution to the process is notable.
southforkrunning wrote:
@edwardjthompson

If it is a venue specific concern, shouldn't the decision be up to the Meet Director? I'm not sure how that is an Advisory Committee decision. We can "get it done" or "get it done right". My hope is that we always do what is best for the athletes.

@southforkrunning With regard to the Advisory Committee's opinion. We value their input greatly as they are the direct voice of the coaches in the state. While the decision isn't theirs officially to make as a committee, their contribution to the process is notable.
05/02/2017 2:33:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@edwardjthompson With all due respect I completely disagree. This is the state championships and sprinters/hurdlers also deserves the chance to compete in the best conditions to be able to have good performances. I believe that is why the longer distances races at the state meet are schedule for when the sun goes down and not contested in the heat. That way they have better performances. Performances in sprinting events should not be seen as lesser.
@edwardjthompson With all due respect I completely disagree. This is the state championships and sprinters/hurdlers also deserves the chance to compete in the best conditions to be able to have good performances. I believe that is why the longer distances races at the state meet are schedule for when the sun goes down and not contested in the heat. That way they have better performances. Performances in sprinting events should not be seen as lesser.
05/02/2017 2:48:17 PM
Coach
[quote=yaudie]@edwardjthompson With all due respect I completely disagree. This is the state championships and sprinters/hurdlers also deserves the chance to compete in the best conditions to be able to have good performances. I believe that is why the longer distances races at the state meet are schedule for when the sun goes down and not contested in the heat. That way they have better performances. Performances in sprinting events should not be seen as lesser.[/quote] @yaudie As a longtime sprint coach myself, the sprints aren't looked at in a lesser light. I might be wrong, but I have a hard time recalling the last time the state championship meet had something more than a common finish line. Also remember that this is only the second time in as long as many can remember that sprinters get a full day to recover between preliminaries and finals. It's hard to argue anything other than it being a tremendous nod to the student-athletes competing. Every running event will deal with wind, and possibly rain. Again, the goal is to determine a state champion in each event. We value your opinion and we'll look at making this accommodation in the future, but there are other considerations at play here making two finish lines unfeasible. I hope that you find the format accommodating for the athletes and the live scoring updates, as well, provided by Half Mile Timing. Keep in mind, Rome wasn't built in a day and we are always trying to get better. The athletes who have qualified will always have the state championship experience whether there's wind, rain, snow, or sleet.
yaudie wrote:

@yaudie As a longtime sprint coach myself, the sprints aren't looked at in a lesser light. I might be wrong, but I have a hard time recalling the last time the state championship meet had something more than a common finish line. Also remember that this is only the second time in as long as many can remember that sprinters get a full day to recover between preliminaries and finals. It's hard to argue anything other than it being a tremendous nod to the student-athletes competing. Every running event will deal with wind, and possibly rain.

Again, the goal is to determine a state champion in each event. We value your opinion and we'll look at making this accommodation in the future, but there are other considerations at play here making two finish lines unfeasible. I hope that you find the format accommodating for the athletes and the live scoring updates, as well, provided by Half Mile Timing. Keep in mind, Rome wasn't built in a day and we are always trying to get better. The athletes who have qualified will always have the state championship experience whether there's wind, rain, snow, or sleet.
05/02/2017 9:30:09 PM
User
Is cost an issue? If so, what if we raised the money for an extra finish line camera? www.gofundme.com/extra-finish-line-camera Donate now for this important cause!
Is cost an issue? If so, what if we raised the money for an extra finish line camera?

www.gofundme.com/extra-finish-line-camera

Donate now for this important cause!
05/02/2017 9:48:40 PM
Admin
@LamarLatrell Now that is a great picture!!!
@LamarLatrell Now that is a great picture!!!
05/03/2017 1:25:02 AM
Power User
[quote=edwardjthompson]I have heard concerns about this issue and it was brought up at last year's advisory committee meeting. We will have one common finish line again this year. We understand the desire to have the best possible times, but also know that marks are not the most important end for this championship meet. To win a state title in the state of Florida speaks for itself. Additionally, a wind-aided time doesn't help an athlete's prospects any more than running into a headwind hurts, either. The goal of the state meet is to determine state champions. This is also a venue specific issue due the proximity to the Gulf and those breezy conditions will be ever present.[/quote] @edwardjthompson I completely agree with Mr. Thompson here. Winning a state title speak volumes over times. In the big picture, this is a detriment to the sport in growing it to a larger audience- most don't understand the rationale behind running away from the traditional finish line nor do they understand what a 19.99 with a +10m/s win means in sub 2.0m/s conditions. What next? Are we going to convert times to determine records? No statistician does this. They simply have an asterisk for windy conditions or altitude and a separate list for these non record marks. Head College Coaches worth any salt understand times and marks in certain conditions and probably have added value to times run or marks in certain conditions- hot, cold, head wind, rain because at Major meets, these conditions are uncontrollable and an athlete may have to run or compete in a final in unfavorable conditions. We are killing the sport by catering to times and possibly finishing at a finish line away from the grandstands where most fans are aggregated. Could you imagine this happening in the Olympics, WC or the NCAA finals? What next? Are we going to move track championships to indoor venues and have a fan behind the athletes with that produces a 2.0 m/s wind. The value in winning is the head to head competition, not the times. That's why when we see a "record time" run in windy or altitude conditions,an asterisk is added and the time is not considered a record. I remember Michael Johnson being asked why he trained in rainy conditions. To paraphrase he said "Because, I may have to run in these conditions in the Olympics." In another analogy, Peyton Manning dunking footballs into a bucket of water and throwing them to his receivers to mimic rainy conditions. Furthermore, in the move to see a state qualifying times and marks, I see this opening a huge can of worms. We can look to NCAA outdoor championships for history. They used to have qualifying times to advance(still do for indoors), but then went to a NCAA Regional qualifying format with head to head competition. Then they went away from a traditional team scoring format to qualify their athletes to nationals. It's confusing and sours the meaning of the regional championships. Again, I feel this is a detriment to growing a sport to a larger audience. After reviewing past results from last year's state meet and regional winners for this year's state meet, conditions are all over the board. They range from -2.6 to 4.3 m/s to NWI. In last year's state meet, the conditions varied between heats and marks significantly which affected qualifiers for finals and places in finals(LJ, TJ). What do we do here? Convert the marks using some standard to determine winners? to determine regional qualifiers? I favor adding more qualifiers from districts to advance to regional finals or more regional qualifiers to state and look to adding one more day to the state champs format. Or add a super regional and add one more week to the schedule The cons would be finding more time in an school schedule that is already tightly packed with competing sports. Or add more time and more cost to teams to an already lengthy state meet schedule. Maybe that is worth it to satisfy all parties and give all athletes an opportunity to qualify for state.
dwardjthompson wrote:

@edwardjthompson

I completely agree with Mr. Thompson here. Winning a state title speak volumes over times.
In the big picture, this is a detriment to the sport in growing it to a larger audience- most don't understand the rationale behind running away from the traditional finish line nor do they understand what a 19.99 with a +10m/s win means in sub 2.0m/s conditions. What next? Are we going to convert times to determine records? No statistician does this. They simply have an asterisk for windy conditions or altitude and a separate list for these non record marks.
Head College Coaches worth any salt understand times and marks in certain conditions and probably have added value to times run or marks in certain conditions- hot, cold, head wind, rain because at Major meets, these conditions are uncontrollable and an athlete may have to run or compete in a final in unfavorable conditions.
We are killing the sport by catering to times and possibly finishing at a finish line away from the grandstands where most fans are aggregated. Could you imagine this happening in the Olympics, WC or the NCAA finals? What next? Are we going to move track championships to indoor venues and have a fan behind the athletes with that produces a 2.0 m/s wind. The value in winning is the head to head competition, not the times. That's why when we see a "record time" run in windy or altitude conditions,an asterisk is added and the time is not considered a record.
I remember Michael Johnson being asked why he trained in rainy conditions. To paraphrase he said
"Because, I may have to run in these conditions in the Olympics."
In another analogy, Peyton Manning dunking footballs into a bucket of water and throwing them to his receivers to mimic rainy conditions.
Furthermore, in the move to see a state qualifying times and marks, I see this opening a huge can of worms. We can look to NCAA outdoor championships for history.
They used to have qualifying times to advance(still do for indoors), but then went to a NCAA Regional qualifying format with head to head competition. Then they went away from a traditional team scoring format to qualify their athletes to nationals. It's confusing and sours the meaning of the regional championships. Again, I feel this is a detriment to growing a sport to a larger audience.
After reviewing past results from last year's state meet and regional winners for this year's state meet, conditions are all over the board. They range from -2.6 to 4.3 m/s to NWI. In last year's state meet, the conditions varied between heats and marks significantly which affected qualifiers for finals and places in finals(LJ, TJ). What do we do here? Convert the marks using some standard to determine winners? to determine regional qualifiers?
I favor adding more qualifiers from districts to advance to regional finals or more regional qualifiers to state and look to adding one more day to the state champs format. Or add a super regional and add one more week to the schedule The cons would be finding more time in an school schedule that is already tightly packed with competing sports. Or add more time and more cost to teams to an already lengthy state meet schedule. Maybe that is worth it to satisfy all parties and give all athletes an opportunity to qualify for state.
05/03/2017 7:23:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ubiQuitous1 The state meet is not about 'winning' for everyone. For some it is about putting down your best performance in front of college coaches to make your case for gaining a 'scholarship'. You are right we can't control the condition but we can control the direction the races are ran in. I was at the state meet last year and the college coaches were complaining more than anyone else about the kids having to run in these strong headwinds. In the past it was not so much of an issue because the races were ran later in the evening with prelims being at 4pm and finals being at 6:30/7:00pm. The wind is usually calmer at those times as oppose to the time of day the events are now contest with this new state meet format. In the end I just don't see the issue with setting up to go both directions. It can only be beneficial to the athletes, not harmful.
@ubiQuitous1 The state meet is not about 'winning' for everyone. For some it is about putting down your best performance in front of college coaches to make your case for gaining a 'scholarship'. You are right we can't control the condition but we can control the direction the races are ran in. I was at the state meet last year and the college coaches were complaining more than anyone else about the kids having to run in these strong headwinds. In the past it was not so much of an issue because the races were ran later in the evening with prelims being at 4pm and finals being at 6:30/7:00pm. The wind is usually calmer at those times as oppose to the time of day the events are now contest with this new state meet format. In the end I just don't see the issue with setting up to go both directions. It can only be beneficial to the athletes, not harmful.
05/03/2017 7:25:55 AM
Coach
Bump up that Go Fund Me goal and maybe it can cover that additional cost. (Tongue is firmly placed in cheek).
Bump up that Go Fund Me goal and maybe it can cover that additional cost. (Tongue is firmly placed in cheek).
05/03/2017 7:37:41 AM
User
@edwardjthompson done! :)
@edwardjthompson done! :)
05/03/2017 7:45:01 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=yaudie]@ubiQuitous1 The state meet is not about 'winning' for everyone. For some it is about putting down your best performance in front of college coaches to make your case for gaining a 'scholarship'. You are right we can't control the condition but we can control the direction the races are ran in. I was at the state meet last year and the college coaches were complaining more than anyone else about the kids having to run in these strong headwinds.[/quote] @yaudie I understand both sides of the argument. But yaudie makes a good point. A large majority of athletes competing on Friday and Saturday aren't state title contenders. Some don't have any realistic shot at getting a medal. So for many putting down a season's or personal best, setting a school record or having the kind of performance that will "wow" scouts in attendance is their goal. Wind at their back, even if it isn't a legal wind, would help some in that department. On a personal note, I was in the stands for many of the sprint finals last year and with so much talent in one place I was hoping for some special times. The wind being what it was I was disappointed that we didn't get to see those special times and performances. The competition was terrific, but I personally would prefer to see this weekend a 9.99 flash on the big screen after Anthony Schwartz crosses the finish line even if it came with an illegal +5.0 tailwind.
yaudie wrote:
@ubiQuitous1 The state meet is not about 'winning' for everyone. For some it is about putting down your best performance in front of college coaches to make your case for gaining a 'scholarship'. You are right we can't control the condition but we can control the direction the races are ran in. I was at the state meet last year and the college coaches were complaining more than anyone else about the kids having to run in these strong headwinds.

@yaudie

I understand both sides of the argument. But yaudie makes a good point. A large majority of athletes competing on Friday and Saturday aren't state title contenders. Some don't have any realistic shot at getting a medal. So for many putting down a season's or personal best, setting a school record or having the kind of performance that will "wow" scouts in attendance is their goal. Wind at their back, even if it isn't a legal wind, would help some in that department.

On a personal note, I was in the stands for many of the sprint finals last year and with so much talent in one place I was hoping for some special times. The wind being what it was I was disappointed that we didn't get to see those special times and performances. The competition was terrific, but I personally would prefer to see this weekend a 9.99 flash on the big screen after Anthony Schwartz crosses the finish line even if it came with an illegal +5.0 tailwind.
05/03/2017 8:35:25 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_PTS Just wondering if it's possible at this late stage to run the 1600m downhill, in a straight line, obviously with the wind behind the runners, and with the temperature not above 70 degrees (obviously low humidity and low dew point) . . . this way everyone runs a huge PR and runners, coaches, spectators, and, most importantly, parents, are all happy . . . and college coaches will give out "scholarships" to all, even the 16th place runner.
@Coach_PTS

Just wondering if it's possible at this late stage to run the 1600m downhill, in a straight line, obviously with the wind behind the runners, and with the temperature not above 70 degrees (obviously low humidity and low dew point) . . . this way everyone runs a huge PR and runners, coaches, spectators, and, most importantly, parents, are all happy . . . and college coaches will give out "scholarships" to all, even the 16th place runner.
05/03/2017 9:08:25 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=vantheman]@Coach_PTS this way everyone runs a huge PR and runners, coaches, spectators, and, most importantly, parents, are all happy . . . and college coaches will give out "scholarships" to all, even the 16th place runner.[/quote] @vantheman I'm not asking for anything that isn't done at other meets (where available). Heck I'm not even asking for it here, just stating that some have raised good points as to why it should be done. What's interesting about your statement, and I understand it's real intent, is that if runners, coaches, spectators and parents aren't happy, then why not do something. That's the problem with sports these days: failure to evolve. Particularly sports that were at the height of their popularity 50 or so years ago, like like baseball, boxing and track and field. They haven't changed enough over the years and people just aren't as interested in them anymore. To be clear, I love the 1600m exactly the way it is. Nothing needs to be done IMO to change it. But, to respond to your statement, if EVERYONE is in favor of and enjoys a straight-line 1600m race down a hill in perfect weather (say indoors) and all of these things could be duplicated at each race nation-wide(I know they couldn't, but this is for argument's sake), then why not do it?
vantheman wrote:
@Coach_PTS

this way everyone runs a huge PR and runners, coaches, spectators, and, most importantly, parents, are all happy . . . and college coaches will give out "scholarships" to all, even the 16th place runner.

@vantheman

I'm not asking for anything that isn't done at other meets (where available). Heck I'm not even asking for it here, just stating that some have raised good points as to why it should be done.

What's interesting about your statement, and I understand it's real intent, is that if runners, coaches, spectators and parents aren't happy, then why not do something. That's the problem with sports these days: failure to evolve. Particularly sports that were at the height of their popularity 50 or so years ago, like like baseball, boxing and track and field. They haven't changed enough over the years and people just aren't as interested in them anymore. To be clear, I love the 1600m exactly the way it is. Nothing needs to be done IMO to change it. But, to respond to your statement, if EVERYONE is in favor of and enjoys a straight-line 1600m race down a hill in perfect weather (say indoors) and all of these things could be duplicated at each race nation-wide(I know they couldn't, but this is for argument's sake), then why not do it?
05/03/2017 9:28:44 AM
User
So, if I understand this correctly, the reason for not setting up a second camera is because the times don't matter at all. All we care about is crowning a state champion and no matter which way we run, we will eventually be able to do that. Will we get a different state champion in some sprinting events because of this? Possibly, but who cares; we are still going to get one. I know that the heavy winds affected some hurdlers last year more than others. So be it. Based on the premise that we don't care about times and want a common finish line to keep spectators/broadcasters happy, this meet should really go back to a one day format with no break between prelims and finals. Get it over quick. Less money for travel for fans. Cheaper for schools. Fans can watch all the races in about 6 hours. Times don't matter anyway, so no recovery needed. Even if kids are tired from another race, it doesn't matter because we still get to crown someone as a state champion. All that matters is that they compete and the best person wins. I know AD's like to save money. I believe the major argument that got them to agree to spend more money for a 2 day state meet was the idea of allowing for great performances to stack Florida up against the other power track states. Since we aren't doing that, let's go back and save the money. And for those of you saying that college coaches aren't gong to recruit off of wind aided times, you are thinking of the good college coaches - the ones that win championships. There are still another 8-10 coaches in each of those conferences who give scholarships. Many of those bottom programs want to be able to say that they have a 10.29 guy in their recruiting class. I assure you that 10.29w with a (4.5) gets a scholarship. 10.49 with a (0.0) probably not. 10.86 with a (-4.5) definitely not. And those are all wind adjusted equivalent times.
So, if I understand this correctly, the reason for not setting up a second camera is because the times don't matter at all. All we care about is crowning a state champion and no matter which way we run, we will eventually be able to do that. Will we get a different state champion in some sprinting events because of this? Possibly, but who cares; we are still going to get one. I know that the heavy winds affected some hurdlers last year more than others. So be it.

Based on the premise that we don't care about times and want a common finish line to keep spectators/broadcasters happy, this meet should really go back to a one day format with no break between prelims and finals. Get it over quick. Less money for travel for fans. Cheaper for schools. Fans can watch all the races in about 6 hours. Times don't matter anyway, so no recovery needed. Even if kids are tired from another race, it doesn't matter because we still get to crown someone as a state champion. All that matters is that they compete and the best person wins.

I know AD's like to save money. I believe the major argument that got them to agree to spend more money for a 2 day state meet was the idea of allowing for great performances to stack Florida up against the other power track states. Since we aren't doing that, let's go back and save the money.

And for those of you saying that college coaches aren't gong to recruit off of wind aided times, you are thinking of the good college coaches - the ones that win championships. There are still another 8-10 coaches in each of those conferences who give scholarships. Many of those bottom programs want to be able to say that they have a 10.29 guy in their recruiting class.
I assure you that 10.29w with a (4.5) gets a scholarship.
10.49 with a (0.0) probably not.
10.86 with a (-4.5) definitely not.
And those are all wind adjusted equivalent times.
05/03/2017 9:42:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Last year's winds were quite unusual. That being said, the disparity in performances with the wind versus against the wind is normally quite significant. There is really no issue at the state meet to achieve a certain time. The state meet is about being the Best, the fastest, the farthest... Kids had all year to run fast times or jump with a wind at their backs. The biggest issue will actually be next year, if the state meet goes to at large bids based on time at region meets. In that event, the regions with the wind ( or the regions with two cameras), will get all the at large bids in the 100m 200, 300 long jump and triple jump .
Last year's winds were quite unusual. That being said, the disparity in performances with the wind versus against the wind is normally quite significant. There is really no issue at the state meet to achieve a certain time. The state meet is about being the Best, the fastest, the farthest... Kids had all year to run fast times or jump with a wind at their backs.

The biggest issue will actually be next year, if the state meet goes to at large bids based on time at region meets. In that event, the regions with the wind ( or the regions with two cameras), will get all the at large bids in the 100m 200, 300 long jump and triple jump .

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.