Discus issues??
05/07/2017 7:05:30 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Anyone around the discus to fill us in on any problems that might have occurred? Poor marking? Fouls not being called? Curious because I heard some rumblings afterward. Coach Dixon BMS Throws Coach Sarasota
Anyone around the discus to fill us in on any problems that might have occurred? Poor marking? Fouls not being called? Curious because I heard some rumblings afterward.

Coach Dixon
BMS Throws Coach
Sarasota
05/07/2017 8:31:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I spent a majority of both days by the throws area and where as a majority of the events were done well, there were issues with the marking for the 1a/2a discus events. The gentleman marking would stand outside the sector line and would walk to each mark after each discus would land. And as you can imagine there were marks he wasn't close to. He even wrongfully marked a discus in even though it was obvious to the spectators that it was out. After a while on day one the volunteer discus retrievers began sticking their feet where the discus would land to help the guy. Day two was the worst. The same guy was doing the same thing, standing outside the sector line and walking to each mark missing one particular throw by several meters. The criticism for the crowd got loud enough that a head official was called out there and she began to watch the marks with him and forced him to jog to each mark. Even with this he still missed another mark by several feet. It was amazing to watch. For finals of girls 2a discus they added a second gentleman to help him mark, and while he jogged to each Mark he stood with the first official outside sector line. They didn't stand inside sector line nor did they at least stand on opposite sides. With places being decided by inches/.01 meters the accuracy of the marking has to be better. I expect more at duel meets so it definitely has to be better at the highest level.
I spent a majority of both days by the throws area and where as a majority of the events were done well, there were issues with the marking for the 1a/2a discus events. The gentleman marking would stand outside the sector line and would walk to each mark after each discus would land. And as you can imagine there were marks he wasn't close to. He even wrongfully marked a discus in even though it was obvious to the spectators that it was out. After a while on day one the volunteer discus retrievers began sticking their feet where the discus would land to help the guy. Day two was the worst. The same guy was doing the same thing, standing outside the sector line and walking to each mark missing one particular throw by several meters. The criticism for the crowd got loud enough that a head official was called out there and she began to watch the marks with him and forced him to jog to each mark. Even with this he still missed another mark by several feet. It was amazing to watch. For finals of girls 2a discus they added a second gentleman to help him mark, and while he jogged to each Mark he stood with the first official outside sector line. They didn't stand inside sector line nor did they at least stand on opposite sides. With places being decided by inches/.01 meters the accuracy of the marking has to be better. I expect more at duel meets so it definitely has to be better at the highest level.
05/08/2017 9:29:04 AM
Admin
For those who missed this on Twitter, here is the supposed video of the record breaking throw. Notice the initial reaction of the official. [url=https://twitter.com/corey_sheli/status/860617890625671168]Video Link[/url]
For those who missed this on Twitter, here is the supposed video of the record breaking throw. Notice the initial reaction of the official.

Video Link
05/08/2017 9:51:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wow!
Wow!
05/08/2017 9:54:24 AM
User
3A discus officials did not call circle fouls. The most disappointing event of my 12 state meets. What made it even more crazy was when showed video after video of the fouls the Official said sorry it is what it is we can do nothing because there is no official video. When I saw a miss mark in the field I told the official you missed the mark by a foot and a half. He said," I am doing my best." I told him he has got to do better. Official standing outside the right sector line and walking slowly all the way across the sector to the left line and guessing where the discus landed just pitiful. Three coaches standing behind the official watched a kid foul out of the front stepping his entire foot out of the circle. The official raised the white flag and the entire world screamed. I had to walk away for fear of being thrown out of the meet. This was just one I saw live. Get the video of the event and watch the others it is just sad these grown men could not give a hoot about these kids and the integrity of our sport. On another note how about 10 implements being weighed 3hours and 45 min after the 12pm deadline. Now for the record the official grabs all the discus drives to the stadium and returns in 11 min. I timed it, the fastest performance of the weekend. Farthest point of competition from stadium is the starting line, then you drive to the stadium, carry 10 discus by hand to the table to measure, weigh, and mark, and return to the farthest point in under 11 min. Just a great job official....superfast and proof there are no rules in High School Track and Field as of 2017. For the record we all were told that once the implement guy said he would set up his equipment again and weigh them in the meet official signed off on it and that is the law. Ready for this statement, "The guy driving the Green Gator said upon his return it pays to know people and I know people." Last time for me but the future we need change and Official Video is a must for field events. The technology is cheap we all have it called a cell phone, and Officials that know and care about what they are doing in the field. My favorite was when the official asked another official to go back and find the mark he misread the number and they did this twice. Those of you that know me know I was fit to be tied. 14 track seasons 12 times my kids have scored in the State meet I have never seen an improper ruling at the meet. What I witnessed still has me wondering why this group of officials bothered to show up? By the way my kids marks and calls were all done correctly but there are 4 kids that got hurt by the, here we go, incompetence of the officials working the 3A discus event. Really sad just really sad. Ok I could go on about a checked in discus being removed from the competition area and a athlete practicing throwing the discus after competition started in a field behind the event, but hey enough is enough. Hope this answers you question about the official at the meet.
3A discus officials did not call circle fouls. The most disappointing event of my 12 state meets. What made it even more crazy was when showed video after video of the fouls the Official said sorry it is what it is we can do nothing because there is no official video. When I saw a miss mark in the field I told the official you missed the mark by a foot and a half. He said," I am doing my best." I told him he has got to do better. Official standing outside the right sector line and walking slowly all the way across the sector to the left line and guessing where the discus landed just pitiful. Three coaches standing behind the official watched a kid foul out of the front stepping his entire foot out of the circle. The official raised the white flag and the entire world screamed. I had to walk away for fear of being thrown out of the meet. This was just one I saw live. Get the video of the event and watch the others it is just sad these grown men could not give a hoot about these kids and the integrity of our sport. On another note how about 10 implements being weighed 3hours and 45 min after the 12pm deadline. Now for the record the official grabs all the discus drives to the stadium and returns in 11 min. I timed it, the fastest performance of the weekend. Farthest point of competition from stadium is the starting line, then you drive to the stadium, carry 10 discus by hand to the table to measure, weigh, and mark, and return to the farthest point in under 11 min. Just a great job official....superfast and proof there are no rules in High School Track and Field as of 2017. For the record we all were told that once the implement guy said he would set up his equipment again and weigh them in the meet official signed off on it and that is the law. Ready for this statement, "The guy driving the Green Gator said upon his return it pays to know people and I know people." Last time for me but the future we need change and Official Video is a must for field events. The technology is cheap we all have it called a cell phone, and Officials that know and care about what they are doing in the field. My favorite was when the official asked another official to go back and find the mark he misread the number and they did this twice. Those of you that know me know I was fit to be tied. 14 track seasons 12 times my kids have scored in the State meet I have never seen an improper ruling at the meet. What I witnessed still has me wondering why this group of officials bothered to show up? By the way my kids marks and calls were all done correctly but there are 4 kids that got hurt by the, here we go, incompetence of the officials working the 3A discus event. Really sad just really sad. Ok I could go on about a checked in discus being removed from the competition area and a athlete practicing throwing the discus after competition started in a field behind the event, but hey enough is enough. Hope this answers you question about the official at the meet.
05/08/2017 10:11:00 AM
User
@LFCSumner3 Not sure he had a legal throw in finals still looking for video of one. When his coach was shown this he said, "You can not tell from that." I am sure he regrets saying that to me. For the record throw stay in circle, control body, let discus land, exit. That was not done, and that was not a legal throw. Officials suck at the 3A event. Official should be ashamed of himself and never allowed to breath track air again. This was not even close to interpretation.
@LFCSumner3
Not sure he had a legal throw in finals still looking for video of one. When his coach was shown this he said, "You can not tell from that." I am sure he regrets saying that to me. For the record throw stay in circle, control body, let discus land, exit. That was not done, and that was not a legal throw. Officials suck at the 3A event. Official should be ashamed of himself and never allowed to breath track air again. This was not even close to interpretation.
05/08/2017 11:35:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=LFCSumner3]For those who missed this on Twitter, here is the supposed video of the record breaking throw. Notice the initial reaction of the official. Video Link[/quote] @LFCSumner3 I heard about this, and if he did step out before the discus landed as was described to me then it's a foul. Tried following the link to the video but it gives me a missing page.
LFCSumner3 wrote:
or those who missed this on Twitter, here is the supposed video of the record breaking throw. Notice the initial reaction of the official.

Video Link

@LFCSumner3

I heard about this, and if he did step out before the discus landed as was described to me then it's a foul. Tried following the link to the video but it gives me a missing page.
05/08/2017 12:14:08 PM
Admin
@Coach_PTS Link fixed now.
@Coach_PTS Link fixed now.
05/08/2017 12:25:59 PM
Power User
@Stirfry MOGO Timing, Inc. offers official video review for long jump and triple jump (toe board only) as well as shot put and discus (circle fouls only). It is a shame that this happened when there is an easy solution.
@Stirfry

MOGO Timing, Inc. offers official video review for long jump and triple jump (toe board only) as well as shot put and discus (circle fouls only). It is a shame that this happened when there is an easy solution.
05/08/2017 12:42:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Chris. Well, that video is conclusive. His left foot touched outside the ring and then after getting back into the ring he ran out the back half. No way the discus had landed by the time he exited. With such clear evidence of a foul, can/will the FHSAA change the throw to a foul and adjust results accordingly?
Thanks Chris.

Well, that video is conclusive. His left foot touched outside the ring and then after getting back into the ring he ran out the back half. No way the discus had landed by the time he exited.

With such clear evidence of a foul, can/will the FHSAA change the throw to a foul and adjust results accordingly?
05/08/2017 12:57:09 PM
User
@CountyCoachMo That sounds like a great thing to propose to the FHSAA for next year. As a parent and coach, this would take a lot of the "Monday morning quarterbacking" out of the process. The answer could be resolved on the spot.
@CountyCoachMo

That sounds like a great thing to propose to the FHSAA for next year. As a parent and coach, this would take a lot of the "Monday morning quarterbacking" out of the process. The answer could be resolved on the spot.
05/08/2017 2:20:42 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just to be clear, is that video from the throw that the record was set on? He had six throws and some were fouls and some were not.
Just to be clear, is that video from the throw that the record was set on? He had six throws and some were fouls and some were not.
05/08/2017 3:06:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dddd It appears so (based on eye witness accounts), although nothing about the video confirms it As pointed out take a look at the official checking for ring fouls. He initially grabs the red and he was in the process of raising it, then he looked up because the crowd roared and it looked like he decided to call nothing because it was a monster throw. The official with the flags shouldn't care what happens to the discus. His eyes should remain on the ring until the thrower exits or commits a foul.
@dddd

It appears so (based on eye witness accounts), although nothing about the video confirms it

As pointed out take a look at the official checking for ring fouls. He initially grabs the red and he was in the process of raising it, then he looked up because the crowd roared and it looked like he decided to call nothing because it was a monster throw. The official with the flags shouldn't care what happens to the discus. His eyes should remain on the ring until the thrower exits or commits a foul.
05/08/2017 3:41:39 PM
Admin
@dddd There is nothing in the video that will verify this other than people's word, but yes it was.
@dddd There is nothing in the video that will verify this other than people's word, but yes it was.
05/08/2017 4:06:30 PM
User
@LFCSumner3 He left circle before discus landed foul. Not open for interpretation it was a foul.
@LFCSumner3
He left circle before discus landed foul. Not open for interpretation it was a foul.
05/08/2017 6:37:40 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Wow! The toe tap is audible and the previous writer was correct, the discus couldn't have landed yet. The official should be sanctioned. Jarez should do the right thing and give up his medal. I wonder if Coach Nick Saban would be interested in hearing that one of his recruits accepted the gold knowing he fouled. Golf self polices itself. Throwers should have similar honor.
Wow! The toe tap is audible and the previous writer was correct, the discus couldn't have landed yet. The official should be sanctioned. Jarez should do the right thing and give up his medal. I wonder if Coach Nick Saban would be interested in hearing that one of his recruits accepted the gold knowing he fouled. Golf self polices itself. Throwers should have similar honor.
05/08/2017 7:32:35 PM
User
I have not seen everyone's second throw in finals on video. Could someone please post all throws I know someone has them. This is not to ever be forgotten until FHSAA fixes the mistake or clarifies the decision to not fix the mistake. Sorry for the Jarez Parks it is not his fault they did not call it on him. My advice would be for him to own the mistake and join in on the conversation about fixing the problem. Until FHSAA decides to run a proper legal meet the performances will always be tongue and cheek, which is sad. Still waiting on FHSAA explain yourself please. You knew all this before you decided who was the champion. Explain yourself please.
I have not seen everyone's second throw in finals on video. Could someone please post all throws I know someone has them. This is not to ever be forgotten until FHSAA fixes the mistake or clarifies the decision to not fix the mistake. Sorry for the Jarez Parks it is not his fault they did not call it on him. My advice would be for him to own the mistake and join in on the conversation about fixing the problem. Until FHSAA decides to run a proper legal meet the performances will always be tongue and cheek, which is sad. Still waiting on FHSAA explain yourself please. You knew all this before you decided who was the champion. Explain yourself please.
05/09/2017 8:14:22 AM
User
Still no response from FHSAA. Character, Integrity, Teaching young people that doing the right thing is often unpopular, but in the long run makes life easy. You can not own something you did not earn. This was not a catch on the line or a last second shot. This was clear foul, I mean it was like Lebron James punching an athlete in the finals, while he gets ready to shoot a FOUL shot and get a no call. This was not a touch foul, it was impossible to miss, and We all want to know why the FHSAA Officials and FHSAA Official in charge did not fix this before it became a STATE RECORD. They had video from an FHSAA GO PRO approved reporter. They had a dozen phone and tablet videos, all the official had to do was say I missed this clear violation or shoot admit he had no idea what he was doing. The fact the red flag did not fly up when he fouled proves the officials at the circle DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Look at the video he actually looks for instructions from the guy sitting at a table as to what flag to raise absolutely crazy wrong. First year we did not have three officials watching circle in the last 7 years. WHY did the head official for FHSAA have these guys at an event. NEED A RESPONSE EVERY COACH WANTS TO KNOW IF FHSAA cares about a LEGAL MEET. REALIZE WE Coaches do this all year with thousands of athletes You guyes "FHSAA STATE FINAL" have TWO HEATS SHAME ON YOU. I am done your turn, RESPOND or your silence will be taken for what it is.
Still no response from FHSAA. Character, Integrity, Teaching young people that doing the right thing is often unpopular, but in the long run makes life easy. You can not own something you did not earn. This was not a catch on the line or a last second shot. This was clear foul, I mean it was like Lebron James punching an athlete in the finals, while he gets ready to shoot a FOUL shot and get a no call. This was not a touch foul, it was impossible to miss, and We all want to know why the FHSAA Officials and FHSAA Official in charge did not fix this before it became a STATE RECORD. They had video from an FHSAA GO PRO approved reporter. They had a dozen phone and tablet videos, all the official had to do was say I missed this clear violation or shoot admit he had no idea what he was doing. The fact the red flag did not fly up when he fouled proves the officials at the circle DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Look at the video he actually looks for instructions from the guy sitting at a table as to what flag to raise absolutely crazy wrong. First year we did not have three officials watching circle in the last 7 years. WHY did the head official for FHSAA have these guys at an event. NEED A RESPONSE EVERY COACH WANTS TO KNOW IF FHSAA cares about a LEGAL MEET. REALIZE WE Coaches do this all year with thousands of athletes You guyes "FHSAA STATE FINAL" have TWO HEATS SHAME ON YOU. I am done your turn, RESPOND or your silence will be taken for what it is.
05/09/2017 10:31:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Im straying a bit from the original thread ( which was just about discus at state meet). What to do in our sport when an official has clearly erred. Own up to it and dq himself from a coach or the athlete his or her self. In the boys 4 by 1 , a team threw the baton in front of the entire stands but no official called it. If I were the coach or the athlete, I wouldn't want that mark to stand and would ask that it be erased. The week before in the region shot put, a thrower's park clearly did not pass the 40 foot mark, but was credited with a victory and a 44 foot throw. I remember case where in NY where a thrower gave back a medal voluntarily cause he realized he used an under weight implement. But that was 1975. I hope integrity still exists somewhere out there. Again I'm not referring to this case of boys discus.... cause it sounds like every foot foul was allowed. just in general
Im straying a bit from the original thread ( which was just about discus at state meet). What to do in our sport when an official has clearly erred.

Own up to it and dq himself from a coach or the athlete his or her self.

In the boys 4 by 1 , a team threw the baton in front of the entire stands but no official called it. If I were the coach or the athlete, I wouldn't want that mark to stand and would ask that it be erased.

The week before in the region shot put, a thrower's park clearly did not pass the 40 foot mark, but was credited with a victory and a 44 foot throw.

I remember case where in NY where a thrower gave back a medal voluntarily cause he realized he used an under weight implement. But that was 1975. I hope integrity still exists somewhere out there. Again I'm not referring to this case of boys discus.... cause it sounds like every foot foul was allowed. just in general
05/09/2017 11:37:18 AM
User
FHSSA has to fix many issues!! Including WHY the 2A Reg 4 Regionals were the only meet to run the 3200 the night before? This offered many advantages(extra rest for 800/1600/3200 triple, potentially more team athletes at States, potentially more team points, strategy, etc.) vs. the other regions. And yet they did not fully understand the problem with that issue either. WOW! However, at least they responded.
FHSSA has to fix many issues!! Including WHY the 2A Reg 4 Regionals were the only meet to run the 3200 the night before? This offered many advantages(extra rest for 800/1600/3200 triple, potentially more team athletes at States, potentially more team points, strategy, etc.) vs. the other regions. And yet they did not fully understand the problem with that issue either. WOW!

However, at least they responded.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.