Video replay for use in protests and other thoughts
05/08/2017 3:54:26 PM
Power User
I think official video should be allowable for protests. On hot and long days, you have to be lasered in as an official which is hard to do. At least you have some evidence to fall back on to confirm or deny a protest to a call or performance mark. Instead of some influence pedaling or intimidation. I saw several infractions that were not called at the state meet when the officials were in place to make the calls. In the 4 x 100 meter prelims, the American Heritage anchor took off early and the third leg tossed the baton to the anchor at the last moment. No call. And yes, I know they did not qualify. It's on the video I did for NFHS Network. Then in one of the relays( think g 4 x 400 meter relays), the kid ran outside his lane before the break point on the backstretch and then cut in early, but then no call. The official on the back stretch had the same view I had and I thought a flag would be raised, but none was. She just went and picked the cones up, but if she was watching the cones which I assume she was, it was apparent. I'm not sure if that was on the NFHS network coverage. However, Isaias de la Puente is called for cutting in early. He ran a 60 second last quarter and ran 9:20 and beat the McFetridge by 9 seconds. How early did he cut in? Then, there was one event and my memory is foggy( Possibly Garry Barnes and Andrew Csubak in the boys 1600m but I remember Marty and I commented on the NFHS broadcast) that the runner the lead runner was at the 125 meter mark and then the athlete cut in and obviously impacted his race as the runner was tripped up and lost momentum. No call. However, Chase Hyland is called for interfering on passing. I didn't see a flag for the Hyland's infraction so I didn't see when and where this occurred, but I also didn't see anything unusual during the race. Why all the conferring among officials before after false starts? It seemed like it was 50/50 when a false start was called or not. Lastly, why no bib numbers for the athletes? How can you tell who's who from race to race? Hip numbers help identify athletes, but one can't tell who ran what races or competed in what events. After last year's 4 x 400m illegal/ineligible substitution fiasco, you would think that bib numbers would be in use. If you had video, you could go back and see who wore what bib and what number and have a face with a bib number for officials if you are not familiar with athletes. We have video replay in football, we have it in basketball. Like one poster posted on the discus issues thread, it's not very expensive for a camera to record these events. You just need to set up them up at exchange zones, take off boards, implement landing area, etc.
I think official video should be allowable for protests. On hot and long days, you have to be lasered in as an official which is hard to do. At least you have some evidence to fall back on to confirm or deny a protest to a call or performance mark. Instead of some influence pedaling or intimidation.

I saw several infractions that were not called at the state meet when the officials were in place to make the calls.

In the 4 x 100 meter prelims, the American Heritage anchor took off early and the third leg tossed the baton to the anchor at the last moment. No call. And yes, I know they did not qualify. It's on the video I did for NFHS Network.

Then in one of the relays( think g 4 x 400 meter relays), the kid ran outside his lane before the break point on the backstretch and then cut in early, but then no call. The official on the back stretch had the same view I had and I thought a flag would be raised, but none was. She just went and picked the cones up, but if she was watching the cones which I assume she was, it was apparent. I'm not sure if that was on the NFHS network coverage. However, Isaias de la Puente is called for cutting in early. He ran a 60 second last quarter and ran 9:20 and beat the McFetridge by 9 seconds. How early did he cut in?

Then, there was one event and my memory is foggy( Possibly Garry Barnes and Andrew Csubak in the boys 1600m but I remember Marty and I commented on the NFHS broadcast) that the runner the lead runner was at the 125 meter mark and then the athlete cut in and obviously impacted his race as the runner was tripped up and lost momentum. No call. However, Chase Hyland is called for interfering on passing. I didn't see a flag for the Hyland's infraction so I didn't see when and where this occurred, but I also didn't see anything unusual during the race.

Why all the conferring among officials before after false starts? It seemed like it was 50/50 when a false start was called or not.

Lastly, why no bib numbers for the athletes? How can you tell who's who from race to race? Hip numbers help identify athletes, but one can't tell who ran what races or competed in what events. After last year's 4 x 400m illegal/ineligible substitution fiasco, you would think that bib numbers would be in use.

If you had video, you could go back and see who wore what bib and what number and have a face with a bib number for officials if you are not familiar with athletes.

We have video replay in football, we have it in basketball. Like one poster posted on the discus issues thread, it's not very expensive for a camera to record these events. You just need to set up them up at exchange zones, take off boards, implement landing area, etc.
05/08/2017 4:09:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is no question there should be a video replay (if possible). Way too many questionable calls AND no calls at the biggest meet of the year. Unacceptable.
There is no question there should be a video replay (if possible). Way too many questionable calls AND no calls at the biggest meet of the year. Unacceptable.
05/11/2017 5:30:25 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
ubiQuitous1, Would it be possible for you to contact me?
ubiQuitous1,
Would it be possible for you to contact me?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.