Huge gaps in Florida Track & Field State Series History on mile split & FHSAA.org
03/20/2018 11:24:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I was looking at team records for my old school Marianna High School and was surprised to see that the records for boys 800 1600 and 3200 are not correct. Sam Graves ran the 800 in 159.95 at the state meet in 1991 and was state champion in the 1600 in 4:23.? that same year. David Keen ran the 3200 in 9:24 in the 80s. Why are the older years not represented on mile split and especially on FHSAA.org. Its hard to believe they lost those results. I will bet Geoff Pietsch has those somewhere if FHSAA has lost them.
I was looking at team records for my old school Marianna High School and was surprised to see that the records for boys 800 1600 and 3200 are not correct.
Sam Graves ran the 800 in 159.95 at the state meet in 1991 and was state champion in the 1600 in 4:23.? that same year. David Keen ran the 3200 in 9:24 in the 80s. Why are the older years not represented on mile split and especially on FHSAA.org. Its hard to believe they lost those results. I will bet Geoff Pietsch has those somewhere if FHSAA has lost them.
03/20/2018 3:07:54 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Because there was no flrunners before 2001 and those first few years it was Jason and the technology wasn't as great. If someone wants to type out those results and get them to us I am sure someone on our stats team would make it a project. The problem is its from old newspaper clippings or what not back in the day and not electronic.
Because there was no flrunners before 2001 and those first few years it was Jason and the technology wasn't as great. If someone wants to type out those results and get them to us I am sure someone on our stats team would make it a project. The problem is its from old newspaper clippings or what not back in the day and not electronic.
03/20/2018 5:27:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It's a project that I have been hoping to start tackling, but haven't had time yet. I went to the FHSAA office and copied the 1980 state track meet results and hope to type it into HY Tek and submit it once this season is over. Then I'll move on to 1981.....
It's a project that I have been hoping to start tackling, but haven't had time yet. I went to the FHSAA office and copied the 1980 state track meet results and hope to type it into HY Tek and submit it once this season is over. Then I'll move on to 1981.....
03/20/2018 5:44:45 PM
Coach
@dddd I have the 1981 Class 4A state results if you need them.
@dddd I have the 1981 Class 4A state results if you need them.
03/21/2018 9:45:05 AM
Coach
@dddd Interns are great for this!
@dddd Interns are great for this!
03/21/2018 3:34:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dddd That is a wonderful project to undertake. perhaps others would like to join you in this task?! I am such a poor typist that I would not be much help or I would volunteer!
@dddd

That is a wonderful project to undertake.

perhaps others would like to join you in this task?!

I am such a poor typist that I would not be much help or I would volunteer!
03/21/2018 8:14:01 PM
Coach
I was previously undertaking a project to compile XC State meet information (outside of the FHSAAs Top-10 Teams and Top-2 individuals) from the 70's. I went through a lot of old newspapers and have the results from the 1974, 75, 76, 77 Cross Country State Meets in Excel. It's not entirely complete, but at least lists all the teams that competed (even outside of Top-10) and Top 15-20 finishers and time for each classification.
I was previously undertaking a project to compile XC State meet information (outside of the FHSAAs Top-10 Teams and Top-2 individuals) from the 70's. I went through a lot of old newspapers and have the results from the 1974, 75, 76, 77 Cross Country State Meets in Excel. It's not entirely complete, but at least lists all the teams that competed (even outside of Top-10) and Top 15-20 finishers and time for each classification.
03/21/2018 9:15:23 PM
Power User
@jtaylor186 Considering that girls XC started in 1974, that seems like it was a solid place to start getting information!
@jtaylor186 Considering that girls XC started in 1974, that seems like it was a solid place to start getting information!
03/22/2018 7:43:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ccmhs You need to contact Buddy Collings at the Orlando Sentinel. He has been keeping all-time performances in Florida Track and Field forever. I have suggested this before.
@ccmhs You need to contact Buddy Collings at the Orlando Sentinel. He has been keeping all-time performances in Florida Track and Field forever. I have suggested this before.
03/24/2018 4:13:26 PM
User
As Some of you know I have compiled lists of best performances in distance (& relays) events since inception and I am always finding information. I spent one day & several hours at the FHSA going through the files only to discover in many cases data on state meets XC & Track are missing and or incomplete. Very disappointing! However, It's a start. Much of the newspaper records and also are often incorrect and incomplete. Likely due to the fact the the sport was given any serious respect. Hopefully I will be able to assemble a publication of what I discovered. We likely we need to establish an independent organization dedicated to the retrieval and rediscovery of our Track & Field & XC records. I will talk and discuss any thing you have learned or questioned. I am Admin of the Nason Line on Facebook about the 3200 list, as well as the Largo XC page! You are Welcome to check them out! Mike Warre
As Some of you know I have compiled lists of best performances in distance (& relays) events since inception and I am always finding information.

I spent one day & several hours at the FHSA going through the files only to discover in many cases data on state meets XC & Track are missing and or incomplete. Very disappointing! However, It's a start. Much of the newspaper records and also are often incorrect and incomplete. Likely due to the fact the the sport was given any serious respect. Hopefully I will be able to assemble a publication of what I discovered.

We likely we need to establish an independent organization dedicated to the retrieval and rediscovery of our Track & Field & XC records.

I will talk and discuss any thing you have learned or questioned.
I am Admin of the Nason Line on Facebook about the 3200 list, as well as the Largo XC page! You are Welcome to check them out!

Mike Warre

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.