How do I access names of my "pool of eight" for state series relays?
04/13/2018 12:01:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Wonder if I'm the only one who did this...? Registered my relays on DA for district, including eight names for each relay. Then went back to DA after the meet to remind myself of who I listed... Can't find the pool of eight any more. Only results are listed, not registration. Uh...help!
Wonder if I'm the only one who did this...?

Registered my relays on DA for district, including eight names for each relay. Then went back to DA after the meet to remind myself of who I listed...

Can't find the pool of eight any more. Only results are listed, not registration.

Uh...help!
04/13/2018 1:09:45 PM
Coach
@GaryDroze I found mine by going back into direct athletics, then going to schedule, and then clicking on the district meet. It brought my 8 up. The problem is there is a technical miscommunication with hytek and DA, that when we got to district, the clerk did not have all 8 names. they only had the first 4 I entered on DA. Same for all the relays, and this happened at other Districts Ed said. So some of us had to run kids under the names of the first four on the DA list.
@GaryDroze I found mine by going back into direct athletics, then going to schedule, and then clicking on the district meet. It brought my 8 up. The problem is there is a technical miscommunication with hytek and DA, that when we got to district, the clerk did not have all 8 names. they only had the first 4 I entered on DA. Same for all the relays, and this happened at other Districts Ed said. So some of us had to run kids under the names of the first four on the DA list.
04/13/2018 1:20:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Doug, I was able to pull mine up until AFTER the meet. Now when I go to schedule and click on the district meet, it only shows results (not registrants). Guess I should have written the names down separately!
Doug, I was able to pull mine up until AFTER the meet. Now when I go to schedule and click on the district meet, it only shows results (not registrants). Guess I should have written the names down separately!
04/13/2018 1:24:36 PM
Coach
@GaryDroze Thats weird because I just checked mine and it still shows them?
@GaryDroze Thats weird because I just checked mine and it still shows them?
04/13/2018 1:25:14 PM
Coach
Going to write mine down now in case it does that to me because I wont remember at region in 10 days!
Going to write mine down now in case it does that to me because I wont remember at region in 10 days!
04/13/2018 1:28:27 PM
Coach
It is on my entry confirmation
It is on my entry confirmation
04/13/2018 1:29:21 PM
Coach
@GaryDroze GAry, I think it may work for you if you just login to DA, then directly click on schedule at the top, then click on your district meet. It didnt work for me the other way but did that way.
@GaryDroze GAry, I think it may work for you if you just login to DA, then directly click on schedule at the top, then click on your district meet. It didnt work for me the other way but did that way.
04/13/2018 2:18:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks, guys. I went back through my emails, undeleted my email registration confirmation from DA, and found them on it! By the way, count me among the coaches who initially supported the "pool of eight" protocol, but now have regrets. Did an end of season 400m time trial yesterday...3 of my newer girls beat the PRs of 3 girls in my 4x400 registration pool. Oops.
Thanks, guys. I went back through my emails, undeleted my email registration confirmation from DA, and found them on it!

By the way, count me among the coaches who initially supported the "pool of eight" protocol, but now have regrets. Did an end of season 400m time trial yesterday...3 of my newer girls beat the PRs of 3 girls in my 4x400 registration pool. Oops.
04/13/2018 2:37:22 PM
Power User
[quote=coachbutler]It brought my 8 up. The problem is there is a technical miscommunication with hytek and DA, that when we got to district, the clerk did not have all 8 names. they only had the first 4 I entered on DA. Same for all the relays, and this happened at other Districts Ed said. So some of us had to run kids under the names of the first four on the DA list.[/quote] @coachbutler This would be because your timer when printing the clerking sheets had a 4 in the box that ask how many athlete names to print on the sheets. Timers need to make sure they have an 8 in that box when printing the sheets so all available athletes will be available for the clerks to circle or highlight. Open Hytek/ Reports/ Finish line sheets/Lower right hand side small square box that says "Relays Names (0-8):
coachbutler wrote:
It brought my 8 up. The problem is there is a technical miscommunication with hytek and DA, that when we got to district, the clerk did not have all 8 names. they only had the first 4 I entered on DA. Same for all the relays, and this happened at other Districts Ed said. So some of us had to run kids under the names of the first four on the DA list.

@coachbutler This would be because your timer when printing the clerking sheets had a 4 in the box that ask how many athlete names to print on the sheets. Timers need to make sure they have an 8 in that box when printing the sheets so all available athletes will be available for the clerks to circle or highlight.

Open Hytek/ Reports/ Finish line sheets/Lower right hand side small square box that says "Relays Names (0-8):
04/13/2018 2:37:48 PM
Coach
@GaryDroze We will get this quirk worked out on the management side so that the names appear on the clerks' sheets. As I mentioned to Doug, Hytek defaults to 4 on the printing of clerks sheets, but that can be easily fixed by telling it to show 8 instead of 4 so that they can circle the names of the athletes running upon check in making it easy for the timer to note who ran the relay. No biggie.
@GaryDroze We will get this quirk worked out on the management side so that the names appear on the clerks' sheets. As I mentioned to Doug, Hytek defaults to 4 on the printing of clerks sheets, but that can be easily fixed by telling it to show 8 instead of 4 so that they can circle the names of the athletes running upon check in making it easy for the timer to note who ran the relay. No biggie.
04/13/2018 4:56:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks, Ed. I have no doubt the kinks will be worked out. Bigger issue may be that more than a few programs with huge numbers will find the 8-person pool restrictive, simply because in the past coaches literally had their whole team to choose from/swap out, right up until finals. I'll be telling a 62 second 400m runner that she can't replace a 63 second girl on the 4x400 squad, because she ran that time on Saturday, Apr 7...the morning after the April 6 deadline for district entries. If I encountered this issue as a 1A coach, I suspect a fair number of 3A & 4A coaches with big teams are also facing it. I'm not griping here, just musing. Might be worth taking a survey after State to see how well the eight person pool protocol served everyone.
Thanks, Ed. I have no doubt the kinks will be worked out.

Bigger issue may be that more than a few programs with huge numbers will find the 8-person pool restrictive, simply because in the past coaches literally had their whole team to choose from/swap out, right up until finals. I'll be telling a 62 second 400m runner that she can't replace a 63 second girl on the 4x400 squad, because she ran that time on Saturday, Apr 7...the morning after the April 6 deadline for district entries. If I encountered this issue as a 1A coach, I suspect a fair number of 3A & 4A coaches with big teams are also facing it.

I'm not griping here, just musing. Might be worth taking a survey after State to see how well the eight person pool protocol served everyone.
04/13/2018 11:05:25 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=GaryDroze]By the way, count me among the coaches who initially supported the "pool of eight" protocol, but now have regrets. [/quote] @GaryDroze Count me as one of the coaches who was initially and continues to be against the "pool of eight" protocol. It caused me to have 6 less kids earn a varsity letter this year by not making the district lineup. We have always used the 4X8 at district as an opportunity for kids who can't make the individual lineup to be in the district meet, but can't do that anymore. For example, it only takes around 12:00 to make it out in the 4X8 girls race at District, and we have 16 girls under 2:32. Four of those girls, in the past, would have made up our District 4X8 and this year, didn't get to run at district at all because they aren't in our top four in any individual events. Similar on the boys side. Not a fan of rules that are designed only for administrative ease and have nothing to do with competition. If you are going to allow substitution on relays between levels, then you should allow SUBSTITUTION on relays between levels.
GaryDroze wrote:
By the way, count me among the coaches who initially supported the "pool of eight" protocol, but now have regrets.

@GaryDroze

Count me as one of the coaches who was initially and continues to be against the "pool of eight" protocol. It caused me to have 6 less kids earn a varsity letter this year by not making the district lineup. We have always used the 4X8 at district as an opportunity for kids who can't make the individual lineup to be in the district meet, but can't do that anymore. For example, it only takes around 12:00 to make it out in the 4X8 girls race at District, and we have 16 girls under 2:32. Four of those girls, in the past, would have made up our District 4X8 and this year, didn't get to run at district at all because they aren't in our top four in any individual events. Similar on the boys side.

Not a fan of rules that are designed only for administrative ease and have nothing to do with competition. If you are going to allow substitution on relays between levels, then you should allow SUBSTITUTION on relays between levels.
04/14/2018 1:03:15 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Dan, you nailed it.
Dan, you nailed it.
04/14/2018 8:28:46 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@dddd As soon as I read the rule when it was published in the FHSAA manual, I did not like it. These are the reasons why: 1) It shrinks your pool from the entire team to only 8 2) We as coaches are forced to think out 3+ weeks in advance. What we plan and what actually happens by the time the State meet arrives rarely aligns. Too many variables, such as: Injuries on our team, other teams, athletes quitting, athletes being dismissed from the team, athletes being suspended from school, family emergencies, anticipating a kid who does not make it out (he/she was ranked 2nd in the State in an individual event, had a poor performance at District due to a cold and placed 5th. The coach did not enter the athlete in the relay because the coach did not want to "overload" the athlete with events. Now that the athlete did not qualify in the individual event the coach can no longer add him/her to the relay at successive levels). 3) What both Gary and Dan mentioned above...This is the "peaking" portion of the season. Many kids will begin producing their best efforts and greatly improving at a rate we did not anticipate. Some athletes may show a downward trend in their performances (for many reasons) and we as coaches can no longer make the adjustment. 4) Some athletes are entered in the maximal 4 events. I am used to entering them in no more than the 4 events (maybe 100m, 200m, LJ, TJ). If I place that athlete in the pool of 8 for the 4 x 1 AND 4 x 4, then I have now entered the athlete in 6 events. At any level, I have never entered the athlete in more than 4 events. It is a way to "self-check" myself. Now the athlete is entered in 6 events and in the heat of the moment I may accidently tell the athlete to run the 4 x 4 because I see his/her name in the pool of 8 (especially if the athlete did not qualify in the LJ at the Region meet and the Region 3200m is about to begin). That mistake would never had been made had I only been able to enter the athlete in 4 events because I would have never originally listed his/her name into the pools of 8. That athlete will be DQ'd from all his/her events and if the relay qualified, the other athletes will not be able to participate in the relay. 5) We as track & field coaches already have enough to think about and this pool of 8 now forces us to spend a bunch of time trying to come up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios that may never occur. Talk about useless and added stress.
@dddd
As soon as I read the rule when it was published in the FHSAA manual, I did not like it. These are the reasons why:

1) It shrinks your pool from the entire team to only 8

2) We as coaches are forced to think out 3+ weeks in advance. What we plan and what actually happens by the time the State meet arrives rarely aligns. Too many variables, such as: Injuries on our team, other teams, athletes quitting, athletes being dismissed from the team, athletes being suspended from school, family emergencies, anticipating a kid who does not make it out (he/she was ranked 2nd in the State in an individual event, had a poor performance at District due to a cold and placed 5th. The coach did not enter the athlete in the relay because the coach did not want to "overload" the athlete with events. Now that the athlete did not qualify in the individual event the coach can no longer add him/her to the relay at successive levels).

3) What both Gary and Dan mentioned above...This is the "peaking" portion of the season. Many kids will begin producing their best efforts and greatly improving at a rate we did not anticipate. Some athletes may show a downward trend in their performances (for many reasons) and we as coaches can no longer make the adjustment.

4) Some athletes are entered in the maximal 4 events. I am used to entering them in no more than the 4 events (maybe 100m, 200m, LJ, TJ). If I place that athlete in the pool of 8 for the 4 x 1 AND 4 x 4, then I have now entered the athlete in 6 events. At any level, I have never entered the athlete in more than 4 events. It is a way to "self-check" myself. Now the athlete is entered in 6 events and in the heat of the moment I may accidently tell the athlete to run the 4 x 4 because I see his/her name in the pool of 8 (especially if the athlete did not qualify in the LJ at the Region meet and the Region 3200m is about to begin). That mistake would never had been made had I only been able to enter the athlete in 4 events because I would have never originally listed his/her name into the pools of 8. That athlete will be DQ'd from all his/her events and if the relay qualified, the other athletes will not be able to participate in the relay.

5) We as track & field coaches already have enough to think about and this pool of 8 now forces us to spend a bunch of time trying to come up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios that may never occur. Talk about useless and added stress.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.