Javelin Rules - Foul if tip doesn't make first contact?
02/20/2019 3:40:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So I had a discussion with another throws coach about the javelin's first point of contact and he was adamant that it is a foul if anything other than the tip is the first thing to hit the ground. I have the 2019 NFHS rule book and it doesn't specifically mention this. The only thing that it says is in ART.11 "The measurement shall be from the nearest edge of the first point of contact made by the javelin....." Doesn't say that the first point of contact needs to be the tip. With many of us coaching and officiating this event for the first time, it would be great to clarify some of this stuff before it leads to confusion. Can somebody confirm what the rule in the state of Florida is? Thanks in advance.
So I had a discussion with another throws coach about the javelin's first point of contact and he was adamant that it is a foul if anything other than the tip is the first thing to hit the ground. I have the 2019 NFHS rule book and it doesn't specifically mention this. The only thing that it says is in ART.11 "The measurement shall be from the nearest edge of the first point of contact made by the javelin....." Doesn't say that the first point of contact needs to be the tip.

With many of us coaching and officiating this event for the first time, it would be great to clarify some of this stuff before it leads to confusion. Can somebody confirm what the rule in the state of Florida is? Thanks in advance.
02/20/2019 5:22:42 PM
User
@Coach_PTS Federation/High School rule. Javelin does NOT have to land point/tip first. One measures from first point of contact , which may be the tail. If it is a "flat" throw, one measures from where the whip cord hits the ground. I might add that measurements are made to the lesser centimeter.
@Coach_PTS Federation/High School rule. Javelin does NOT have to land point/tip first. One measures from first point of contact , which may be the tail. If it is a "flat" throw, one measures from where the whip cord hits the ground.
I might add that measurements are made to the lesser centimeter.
02/20/2019 7:32:34 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Above is correct. FYI - This rule is different between the High School and collegiate level.
Above is correct. FYI - This rule is different between the High School and collegiate level.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.