German Fernandez
11/27/2009 1:30:53 PM
User
What happened to him at Nationals, he was doing so well last season I expected a top 5 finish. How did all the Florida college kids do?
What happened to him at Nationals, he was doing so well last season I expected a top 5 finish.

How did all the Florida college kids do?
11/27/2009 6:03:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I talked to his coach (really!) and he was coming back off of being sick the previous week. Coach Finke
I talked to his coach (really!) and he was coming back off of being sick the previous week.

Coach Finke
11/28/2009 1:35:16 AM
User
Thanks Coach
Thanks Coach
12/01/2009 9:49:55 AM
User
Chris Derrick ran good tho
Chris Derrick ran good tho
12/02/2009 2:14:12 PM
User
I would say derrick ran average. To say he ran well would mean that he won which he did not. It may just be me but it looked like he was running not to lose instead of for the win. I think the stanford coach might need to look at his training schedule because it appears that the whole team peaked early.
I would say derrick ran average. To say he ran well would mean that he won which he did not. It may just be me but it looked like he was running not to lose instead of for the win. I think the stanford coach might need to look at his training schedule because it appears that the whole team peaked early.
12/02/2009 4:16:54 PM
User
[quote=burt4118]I would say derrick ran average. To say he ran well would mean that he won which he did not. It may just be me but it looked like he was running not to lose instead of for the win. I think the stanford coach might need to look at his training schedule because it appears that the whole team peaked early.[/quote] Was your head in the sand last Monday while little Kenyan, Chelenga, take 22 seconds off Galen Rupp's course record? No way Derrick was beating him. Derrick improved 15 seconds and several places over his finish from last year. Coach Dunn is known for having his teams peak early but Derrick ran just fine.
burt4118 wrote:

Was your head in the sand last Monday while little Kenyan, Chelenga, take 22 seconds off Galen Rupp's course record? No way Derrick was beating him.

Derrick improved 15 seconds and several places over his finish from last year. Coach Dunn is known for having his teams peak early but Derrick ran just fine.
12/03/2009 8:29:13 AM
User
[quote=sobchak]burt4118 said:I would say derrick ran average. To say he ran well would mean that he won which he did not. It may just be me but it looked like he was running not to lose instead of for the win. I think the stanford coach might need to look at his training schedule because it appears that the whole team peaked early. Was your head in the sand last Monday while little Kenyan, Chelenga, take 22 seconds off Galen Rupp's course record? No way Derrick was beating him. Derrick improved 15 seconds and several places over his finish from last year. Coach Dunn is known for having his teams peak early but Derrick ran just fine.[/quote] Given Derricks season up until then I would argue that it was an average race. Don't forget he beat chelenga at pre-nats and if memory serves right was undefeated. I am not saying that given what chelenga ran derrick should have won but I think derrick ran too conservatively and should have finished at least second
sobchak wrote:
urt4118 said:I would say derrick ran average. To say he ran well would mean that he won which he did not. It may just be me but it looked like he was running not to lose instead of for the win. I think the stanford coach might need to look at his training schedule because it appears that the whole team peaked early.

Was your head in the sand last Monday while little Kenyan, Chelenga, take 22 seconds off Galen Rupp's course record? No way Derrick was beating him.

Derrick improved 15 seconds and several places over his finish from last year. Coach Dunn is known for having his teams peak early but Derrick ran just fine.

Given Derricks season up until then I would argue that it was an average race. Don't forget he beat chelenga at pre-nats and if memory serves right was undefeated. I am not saying that given what chelenga ran derrick should have won but I think derrick ran too conservatively and should have finished at least second
12/03/2009 8:58:02 AM
User
I would have to argue that Chris Derrick actually had a good day. Chelanga just had an amazing day. Derrick came through 8k 10-15 seconds faster than he did at pre nats. I believe Derrick ran personal best in the 8k en route and 10k all in the same day. Any day you run personal best it is by no means a "bad day." Also looking at the times from pre nats and comparing them to last year it appears that Chelanga wasnt in top form. Last year Chelanga absolutely demolished the field and set a pre nats course record. This year Chelanga ran between 30-45 seconds slower i believe. I understand that the conditions where not the best seeing how the course was wet and soggy from rain all week but still he obviously wasnt in the same form as the previous year at that time. This year both Derrick and Chelanga peeked at the right time running their fastest times at Nationals, Chelanga was just ran that much better crushing the course record by close to 20 seconds in the 10k and also the 8k course record en route in 22:46. I believe Derrick also dipped under or was close to the previous 10k course record set previously by Rupp but just wasnt at the same level as Chelanga. Very good day for both men...Chelanga is just clearly at a different level right now.
I would have to argue that Chris Derrick actually had a good day. Chelanga just had an amazing day. Derrick came through 8k 10-15 seconds faster than he did at pre nats. I believe Derrick ran personal best in the 8k en route and 10k all in the same day. Any day you run personal best it is by no means a "bad day." Also looking at the times from pre nats and comparing them to last year it appears that Chelanga wasnt in top form. Last year Chelanga absolutely demolished the field and set a pre nats course record. This year Chelanga ran between 30-45 seconds slower i believe. I understand that the conditions where not the best seeing how the course was wet and soggy from rain all week but still he obviously wasnt in the same form as the previous year at that time. This year both Derrick and Chelanga peeked at the right time running their fastest times at Nationals, Chelanga was just ran that much better crushing the course record by close to 20 seconds in the 10k and also the 8k course record en route in 22:46. I believe Derrick also dipped under or was close to the previous 10k course record set previously by Rupp but just wasnt at the same level as Chelanga. Very good day for both men...Chelanga is just clearly at a different level right now.
12/03/2009 2:29:18 PM
User
[quote=ryancourtoy]I would have to argue that Chris Derrick actually had a good day. Chelanga just had an amazing day. Derrick came through 8k 10-15 seconds faster than he did at pre nats. I believe Derrick ran personal best in the 8k en route and 10k all in the same day. Any day you run personal best it is by no means a "bad day." Also looking at the times from pre nats and comparing them to last year it appears that Chelanga wasnt in top form. Last year Chelanga absolutely demolished the field and set a pre nats course record. This year Chelanga ran between 30-45 seconds slower i believe. I understand that the conditions where not the best seeing how the course was wet and soggy from rain all week but still he obviously wasnt in the same form as the previous year at that time. This year both Derrick and Chelanga peeked at the right time running their fastest times at Nationals, Chelanga was just ran that much better crushing the course record by close to 20 seconds in the 10k and also the 8k course record en route in 22:46. I believe Derrick also dipped under or was close to the previous 10k course record set previously by Rupp but just wasnt at the same level as Chelanga. Very good day for both men...Chelanga is just clearly at a different level right now.[/quote] All I am saying is that most people view cross country as a race against people and not the clock correct? Then solely by place he had an average day as he should have at least in my opinion come in second. With that being said I am not taking anything away from chelenga because he ran the race to win as opposed to derrick who in my opinion ran the race not to lose. And I looked it up and derrick was 15 seconds better than last year but still 11 seconds off the previous cr by rupp. And if you count the pac 10 championships as an 8k, probably a little short, their is absolutely no way derrick pred in the 8k along the way as he averaged a 4:32 mile on the 8k and at nationals averaged a 4:42 mile. So in an 8k he would have been 45 to 50 seconds off of his pr. So again by time I say derrick had an average day.
ryancourtoy wrote:

All I am saying is that most people view cross country as a race against people and not the clock correct? Then solely by place he had an average day as he should have at least in my opinion come in second. With that being said I am not taking anything away from chelenga because he ran the race to win as opposed to derrick who in my opinion ran the race not to lose. And I looked it up and derrick was 15 seconds better than last year but still 11 seconds off the previous cr by rupp. And if you count the pac 10 championships as an 8k, probably a little short, their is absolutely no way derrick pred in the 8k along the way as he averaged a 4:32 mile on the 8k and at nationals averaged a 4:42 mile. So in an 8k he would have been 45 to 50 seconds off of his pr. So again by time I say derrick had an average day.
12/04/2009 2:06:48 PM
User
Lol bro cross country is more based on beating people than times because the courses can be different but were talking about a race where the winner went 20+ seconds under the course record and second was just behind the course record set by an olympian. Its kind of hard to beat people that are running record times. Stop being so closed minded and realize that in most national collegiate cross country races held through time, Derrick would've probably won, but this year there were two great competitors ahead of him that set a WHOLE NEW RECORD or came very close to it as Chelanga killed the record, and Mcniell was just behind it. Give the kid some credit.
Lol bro cross country is more based on beating people than times because the courses can be different but were talking about a race where the winner went 20+ seconds under the course record and second was just behind the course record set by an olympian. Its kind of hard to beat people that are running record times. Stop being so closed minded and realize that in most national collegiate cross country races held through time, Derrick would've probably won, but this year there were two great competitors ahead of him that set a WHOLE NEW RECORD or came very close to it as Chelanga killed the record, and Mcniell was just behind it. Give the kid some credit.
12/05/2009 4:16:17 PM
User
[quote=104565]Lol bro cross country is more based on beating people than times because the courses can be different but were talking about a race where the winner went 20+ seconds under the course record and second was just behind the course record set by an olympian. Its kind of hard to beat people that are running record times. Stop being so closed minded and realize that in most national collegiate cross country races held through time, Derrick would've probably won, but this year there were two great competitors ahead of him that set a WHOLE NEW RECORD or came very close to it as Chelanga killed the record, and Mcniell was just behind it. Give the kid some credit.[/quote] Did you not read the part about where I said I am taking nothing away from chelenga because he ran the race to win? Again whether or not you look at times I am saying that derrick ran bad on place because he beat chelenga earlier and was undefeated in the season and probably beat mcniell at pre-nats or some other meet this year. If I am not mistaken the course ran faster this year which partially explains the new cr. I am not saying derrick does not deserve an immense amount of credit for finishing 3rd at nationals but given his season prior to that I think even he would admit he was dissapointed with the 3rd place finish.
104565 wrote:

Did you not read the part about where I said I am taking nothing away from chelenga because he ran the race to win? Again whether or not you look at times I am saying that derrick ran bad on place because he beat chelenga earlier and was undefeated in the season and probably beat mcniell at pre-nats or some other meet this year. If I am not mistaken the course ran faster this year which partially explains the new cr. I am not saying derrick does not deserve an immense amount of credit for finishing 3rd at nationals but given his season prior to that I think even he would admit he was dissapointed with the 3rd place finish.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.