Article Comment: NCRunners.com NCHSAA 4A State Meet Predictions
02/10/2010 12:31:20 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
It's hard to know what will happen in the 1600 until we know who will be running hard in the 4x800 beforehand. With the schedule that the NCHSAA runs indoors, there is a very short turn-around between 4x800 and 1600. A lot of athletes can't recover in time, and a lot of them scratch out of the 1600 in advance, if their team is going hard for the 4x800. I've tried to get the schedule changed to match the outdoor schedule, but nothing ever seems to get done. 11 of the top 18 girls in the 1600 might run on a serious 4x8 team! This has such a dramatic impact on the distance races in the winter, and it really needs to change.
It's hard to know what will happen in the 1600 until we know who will be running hard in the 4x800 beforehand. With the schedule that the NCHSAA runs indoors, there is a very short turn-around between 4x800 and 1600. A lot of athletes can't recover in time, and a lot of them scratch out of the 1600 in advance, if their team is going hard for the 4x800. I've tried to get the schedule changed to match the outdoor schedule, but nothing ever seems to get done. 11 of the top 18 girls in the 1600 might run on a serious 4x8 team! This has such a dramatic impact on the distance races in the winter, and it really needs to change.
02/10/2010 1:41:51 PM
Coach
Regarding comments made by Coach George in terms of the 4x800 and 1600, I totally agree, these events should mirror the Outdoor Meet.
Regarding comments made by Coach George in terms of the 4x800 and 1600, I totally agree, these events should mirror the Outdoor Meet.
02/10/2010 1:59:02 PM
Coach
[quote=malik40]Regarding comments made by Coach George in terms of the 4x800 and 1600, I totally agree, these events should mirror the Outdoor Meet.[/quote] It would be hard to do this indoors because of the number of people, but I liked they they had it for outdoor five years ago when 1A/3A ran on Friday and 2A/4A ran on Saturday. Running the two classifications on the same day allowed a lot more recovery time for athletes doing multiple events. I believe there was even a per-event time schedule that year which is especially helpful for athletes in terms of planning when to warm up. Any chance of that set-up happening again? Wouldn't it save the state money since they would only be renting the facility for two days rather than four? It may be a longer day for folks to be out there, but it would seem to benefit the athletes. It was especially nice to finish the meet at night and under the lights. Coach George, any chance there can at least be an event-by-event time schedule this year?
malik40 wrote:

It would be hard to do this indoors because of the number of people, but I liked they they had it for outdoor five years ago when 1A/3A ran on Friday and 2A/4A ran on Saturday. Running the two classifications on the same day allowed a lot more recovery time for athletes doing multiple events. I believe there was even a per-event time schedule that year which is especially helpful for athletes in terms of planning when to warm up. Any chance of that set-up happening again? Wouldn't it save the state money since they would only be renting the facility for two days rather than four? It may be a longer day for folks to be out there, but it would seem to benefit the athletes. It was especially nice to finish the meet at night and under the lights. Coach George, any chance there can at least be an event-by-event time schedule this year?
02/10/2010 2:33:01 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The big problem with the one-weekend format is how late the meet runs. Some teams have 4+ hour drives home, and they either have to drive in the early-morning hours, or stay an extra night in a hotel (which is difficult for many small schools to afford). I don't think the NCHSAA will go back to the format used that one year, but they might be open to other combined-classification formats. Of course, Texas has a much larger state geographically, and they have all classifications at the same site in the same weekend, so it can be done. Then again, I think they take less athletes and teams to the state meet.
The big problem with the one-weekend format is how late the meet runs. Some teams have 4+ hour drives home, and they either have to drive in the early-morning hours, or stay an extra night in a hotel (which is difficult for many small schools to afford). I don't think the NCHSAA will go back to the format used that one year, but they might be open to other combined-classification formats.

Of course, Texas has a much larger state geographically, and they have all classifications at the same site in the same weekend, so it can be done. Then again, I think they take less athletes and teams to the state meet.
02/10/2010 5:59:31 PM
Coach
[quote=CoachGeorgeRJR]The big problem with the one-weekend format is how late the meet runs. Some teams have 4+ hour drives home, and they either have to drive in the early-morning hours, or stay an extra night in a hotel (which is difficult for many small schools to afford). I don't think the NCHSAA will go back to the format used that one year, but they might be open to other combined-classification formats. Of course, Texas has a much larger state geographically, and they have all classifications at the same site in the same weekend, so it can be done. Then again, I think they take less athletes and teams to the state meet.[/quote] Looks like 8 kids per event at Texas state meet. They must have more than just a regional qualifying meet though. I do understand about costs and travel, as issues of affordability and safety need to be carefully considered. What was the reasoning for the combined format in '06? Was there much push-back? How about the time schedule possibility for this year? With a set number of athletes and heats per event, it seems like that could easily be done.
CoachGeorgeRJR wrote:
The big problem with the one-weekend format is how late the meet runs. Some teams have 4+ hour drives home, and they either have to drive in the early-morning hours, or stay an extra night in a hotel (which is difficult for many small schools to afford). I don't think the NCHSAA will go back to the format used that one year, but they might be open to other combined-classification formats.

Of course, Texas has a much larger state geographically, and they have all classifications at the same site in the same weekend, so it can be done. Then again, I think they take less athletes and teams to the state meet.

Looks like 8 kids per event at Texas state meet. They must have more than just a regional qualifying meet though. I do understand about costs and travel, as issues of affordability and safety need to be carefully considered. What was the reasoning for the combined format in '06? Was there much push-back?

How about the time schedule possibility for this year? With a set number of athletes and heats per event, it seems like that could easily be done.
02/11/2010 9:41:29 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Back in the 80's we used to run a sectional then regionals with multiple classifications running at the states on the same day.
Back in the 80's we used to run a sectional then regionals with multiple classifications running at the states on the same day.
02/11/2010 5:25:41 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Honestly, I'm paranoid and superstitous about posting a time schedule; it seems to invite things to happen that get you behind schedule. I put up certain times (start of trials, start of finals), but I just prefer a rolling schedule. That way, athletes can plan their warm-up by event. It's not entirely rational, I know, but it really works for me when I run a meet.
Honestly, I'm paranoid and superstitous about posting a time schedule; it seems to invite things to happen that get you behind schedule. I put up certain times (start of trials, start of finals), but I just prefer a rolling schedule. That way, athletes can plan their warm-up by event. It's not entirely rational, I know, but it really works for me when I run a meet.
02/11/2010 6:31:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think having a rolling schedule makes meets run longer. With a rolling schedule there is no incentive to move things along. A rolling schedule is fine for local "dual" meets, but to me a quality meet should have a time schedule. I have had to guess at start times for all events at this weekends State Meet. Parents want to know when their child runs. I would like to see the NCTCCCA/NCHSAA post a schedule for State Meets.
I think having a rolling schedule makes meets run longer. With a rolling schedule there is no incentive to move things along. A rolling schedule is fine for local "dual" meets, but to me a quality meet should have a time schedule. I have had to guess at start times for all events at this weekends State Meet. Parents want to know when their child runs. I would like to see the NCTCCCA/NCHSAA post a schedule for State Meets.
02/11/2010 9:48:09 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The meet director can drive the meet regardless of the schedule. We've finished the 4A outdoor state meet before 5:00 PM each of the last three years.
The meet director can drive the meet regardless of the schedule. We've finished the 4A outdoor state meet before 5:00 PM each of the last three years.
02/12/2010 12:13:27 AM
Coach
[quote=CoachGeorgeRJR]The meet director can drive the meet regardless of the schedule. We've finished the 4A outdoor state meet before 5:00 PM each of the last three years.[/quote] I think the concern is not so much about quickly moving the meet along, but about the setting up the best possible experience for the athletes. I know that even the last couple of years, the only time given to coaches was what time the meet would begin (typically 11am). There was never a listing of when finals began, or how long a break there would be between prelims and finals. Check it out on the state's website. It is frustrating for a coach to have to ask at a state meet when finals begin so that they can tell their athletes when to warm up...particularly those in the earlier finals events like the 4x2, 1600, etc. Overall, I tip my cap to Coach George. He runs a very good state meet and is a great guy. I do think that a discussion regarding this aspect of the meet is a good thing though. So much for an indoor state meet predictions thread!
CoachGeorgeRJR wrote:

I think the concern is not so much about quickly moving the meet along, but about the setting up the best possible experience for the athletes. I know that even the last couple of years, the only time given to coaches was what time the meet would begin (typically 11am). There was never a listing of when finals began, or how long a break there would be between prelims and finals. Check it out on the state's website. It is frustrating for a coach to have to ask at a state meet when finals begin so that they can tell their athletes when to warm up...particularly those in the earlier finals events like the 4x2, 1600, etc. Overall, I tip my cap to Coach George. He runs a very good state meet and is a great guy. I do think that a discussion regarding this aspect of the meet is a good thing though.

So much for an indoor state meet predictions thread!
02/12/2010 7:28:36 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks, and I understand your concern. It's a valid idea, and I'll definitely consider it. If there was to be some sort of major hold-up during the trials (big injury, timing system crash, etc.), that would render the originally scheduled time of the finals moot. Also, what if you start running ahead of schedule, and then everyone has to sit around to wait for the scheduled time of the next race? Still, I am sure there is a way we could give coaches more information this spring. I'll work on it. Thanks for the input!
Thanks, and I understand your concern. It's a valid idea, and I'll definitely consider it. If there was to be some sort of major hold-up during the trials (big injury, timing system crash, etc.), that would render the originally scheduled time of the finals moot. Also, what if you start running ahead of schedule, and then everyone has to sit around to wait for the scheduled time of the next race? Still, I am sure there is a way we could give coaches more information this spring. I'll work on it. Thanks for the input!
02/13/2010 7:22:12 PM
User
NEW BERN!will be in the top 3
NEW BERN!will be in the top 3
02/15/2010 6:00:59 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I'll be curious to see if anyone loses girls' runners to the soccer team, in a way that would affect the competition on Saturday. Perhaps depth in the relays? I would hope that the coaches would be able to work something out, but some coaches are territorial.
I'll be curious to see if anyone loses girls' runners to the soccer team, in a way that would affect the competition on Saturday. Perhaps depth in the relays? I would hope that the coaches would be able to work something out, but some coaches are territorial.
02/19/2010 11:39:58 PM
User
New bern will not be at the state meet.
New bern will not be at the state meet.
02/21/2010 5:03:47 PM
User
Why didn't New Bern attend?
Why didn't New Bern attend?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.